National Championship ND vs Bama

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't believe Alabama is that much better then the rest of the College Football world.

I believe that while ND had a good season, they were hyped because they are ND. I don't believe that ND was as good as they were made out to be and I don't believe that ND's front seven were as talented as was made out to be.

If you look at their schedule, I think you see a good team that played good sound football and didn't beat themselves. I don't think you see a dominating team loaded with talent that can overpower you.

Navy W 50-10 (Dublin Ireland or home game for ND) Good win but it's Navy.

Purdue W (Home) 20-17 Good win but at home and very close. Purdue was 6-7, 3-5 in the Big 10.

Michigan St. W (Road) 20-3 This is where it started. ND front 7 had a great game vs Spartans and that's where the build up began but in all honesty, MSU was not that good. They were 7-6 on the season and 3-5 in the Big 10.

Michigan W (Home) 13-6 Again, Michigan was ranked highly but was not very good. Michigan threw 5 picks in this game, fumbled 1 for total of 6 TOs and Notre Dame could only put up 13 points?

Miami W (Home) 41-3 On the surface, a nice win but Miami is not the Miami of Jimmy Johnson days. Miami was a 7-5 team this year with wins over a bad BC team, Bethune Cook, a .500 GTEch, 7-6 NCSt., 7-6 VaTech, SFla. and Duke. Not exactly a power house.

Stanford W (Home) 20-13 OT win. This is probably the most impressive win all year IMO. A close game but Stanford is a good team. Very close and probably should have lost this game but they pulled it out.

BYU W (Home) 17-14 Another Good win but BYU was just OK this year. Still, with 2 minutes left, BYU could have won this game with the ball on the ND 31. The WR was there, BYU just didn't execute the play.

OU W (Road) 30-13 OU had a good year but in this game, they left a lot of points on the field. Still, ND won fair and square on the road. Good win but not as dominating as you might think from the score. OU could not run the ball to save their lives in this game. 15 yards rushing, ND had 215. This was the big difference in the game. OU could not score in the red zone.

Pitt W (Home) 29-26 3OT. Another very close game ND probably should have lost. Pitt was just OK this year, 6-7 team in the BigEast. Pitt had them 20-6 going into the 4th quarter and gave up 14 in the 4th. Good win for ND but Pitt gave it away.

BC W (Road) 21-6. BC was terrible this year with a 2-10 record, their only wins coming against Maine and Maryland.

Wake W (Home) 38-0 Again, Wake was not good this year. 5-7 on the year, Wake just did not have the offensive weapons to make a game of it. They actually won the TOP game but couldn't put points on the board.

USC W (Road) 22-13. This is the game that put them over the top. They beat a very average USC team on the road. Of course, Barkley had just gone down the game before so this was Wittek's first start for USC and it showed. Very average game with 2 INTs. Keep in mind that this USC team lost to every ranked team they played this year and lost in their Bowl Game to a 7-7 (on the strength of the USC Bowl win) GTech.

Now, looking over this ND season, I think it's fair to say that ND was a solid, well coached team who did not beat themselves. However, they were far from dominating on any level IMO.

I watched ATM go into Tuscaloosa with a Freshman QB and beat Bama. While I believe ATM is improved, they are still one season away from being a 7-6 team with a 4-5 record in the Big 12 (good for 7th place). This is not a knock on ATM. On the contrary, it's really a credit to them.

However, I don't believe the SEC is that much better. I think they got a favorable scheduling in this case and played a team who, from a talent level perspective, was inferior.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4950755 said:
I don't believe Alabama is that much better then the rest of the College Football world.

Good leg-work on the ND schedule and season. Nice write-up.

But don't forget that Stanford scored there at the end of their game with ND, but officials did not give them the TD.

And if pitt could make a short FG, they would have beaten ND, and should have.

So yes, ND was in way over their head.

The powers-that-be wanted ND in the college football spotlight so bad that they could taste it. I think Te O got all of his accolades for much the same reason. He was not the dominant player that the media wanted us to think. He simply wasn't.

Buuuuut, .. Alabama has won National Titles back to back, .. and three out of the last four years, ... they are that much better than the rest of the College Football world.

They are a dynasty!

And in this day and age of everybody plays, everybody gets a trophy, parity, let's create a level playing field, ... I love to see excellence and a dynasty.

Alabama is the King of College Football until someone proves otherwise.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4950957 said:

But don't forget that Stanford scored there at the end of their game with ND, but officials did not give them the TD.

The powers-that-be wanted ND in the college football spotlight so bad that they could taste it. I think Te O got all of his accolades for much the same reason. He was not the dominant player that the media wanted us to think. He simply wasn't.

Buuuuut, .. Alabama has won National Titles back to back, .. and three out of the last four years, ... they are that much better than the rest of the College Football world.

They are a dynasty!

And in this day and age of everybody plays, everybody gets a trophy, parity, let's create a level playing field, ... I love to see excellence and a dynasty.

Agree with you on ND, don't agree on Alabama. Yeah, they are champs till they get beaten, zero problem with that but they are not head and shoulders above the rest of the College Football world IMO.

What's happening here, IMO, is that Sports Media is making a story in much the same way they did with ND. They have to justify why ND got beaten up so instead of admitting that they were wrong or bent the truth, they create a story about how Bama is unbeatable and just that much better. I don't buy it.

Take nothing away from Bama but I just don't see it. Very, very good team but not head and shoulders better IMO.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4950957 said:

They are a dynasty!

Powers that be had nothing to do with ND season. They went undefeated they earned their right in the NC. No doubt Bama showed they are the top football team in the nation winning 3 out of the last 4 National titles. I take nothing away from that program but ND earned the right to be in the game not because of favors, heck where have those favors been during all the down years they had.

People wrote that program off and Brian Kelly has brought it back.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4950970 said:
Agree with you on ND, don't agree on Alabama. Yeah, they are champs till they get beaten, zero problem with that but they are not head and shoulders above the rest of the College Football world IMO.

Close to it when you can claim the title 3 out of 4 seasons.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4950996 said:
I understand the reasoning but I don't agree.

Don't know of another way for a program to prove it. Myself I was hoping ND would beat the odds and win but Bama was just way too strong. Any team can be beat even Bama but over the course of the season and in 3 NC games they have shown themselves. If there is another criteria I would be interested to know it and who you think is the best program in college football.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4951014 said:
Don't know of another way for a program to prove it. Myself I was hoping ND would beat the odds and win but Bama was just way too strong. Any team can be beat even Bama but over the course of the season and in 3 NC games they have shown themselves. If there is another criteria I would be interested to know it and who you think is the best program in college football.

Depends on what you are trying to prove. Are you trying to prove that Alabama has been the best team in College Football over the past 4 years? If that's what you are trying to prove, then I would agree with you.

If you are trying to prove that Alabama is head and shoulders better then everybody else out there, I don't agree with that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4951082 said:
Depends on what you are trying to prove. Are you trying to prove that Alabama has been the best team in College Football over the past 4 years? If that's what you are trying to prove, then I would agree with you.

If you are trying to prove that Alabama is head and shoulders better then everybody else out there, I don't agree with that.

Just stating they are the king of the hill in college football today. Any program that can accomplish what they have deserves the just dues of being the called the best. As for head and shoulder better? That is opinion I guess but in terms of playing in one of the hardest conferences and consistently winning and then winning the big game they are better than the rest as of now.

To me it is the consistency that is the key, they are not a 1 year team like Auburn when they won the title then went back to the bottom. Bama has won with different key players that says a lot about the program. Often time the NC is a team that once the key player leaves they are back to the middle of the pack Bama has not let that happen they keep bring in the next group and they are showing themselves as the best

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Instead of discussing the game, should we not be discussing the beauty otherwise known as Katherine Webb?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4951099 said:
Just stating they are the king of the hill in college football today. Any program that can accomplish what they have deserves the just dues of being the called the best. As for head and shoulder better? That is opinion I guess but in terms of playing in one of the hardest conferences and consistently winning and then winning the big game they are better than the rest as of now.

To me it is the consistency that is the key, they are not a 1 year team like Auburn when they won the title then went back to the bottom. Bama has won with different key players that says a lot about the program. Often time the NC is a team that once the key player leaves they are back to the middle of the pack Bama has not let that happen they keep bring in the next group and they are showing themselves as the best

Agree to disagree I guess. Head shoulders, I don't see it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It all starts in the trenches and both Alabama and TAM had crazy-good olines.
That Bama line has to be one of the top ten lines ever in college football.

But they are both probably going to get gutted fairly well there with the draft and graduations.

It'll be fun to see how they reload.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4951224 said:
Instead of discussing the game, should we not be discussing the beauty otherwise known as Katherine Webb?

Why? Have you never seen a beautiful woman before? The amount of TV time she got was silly.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4953043 said:
that is something an ugly person would say

Sure. It is also something a football fan would say when TMZ interrupts a game.

rynochop

Reaction score
Cythim;4953184 said:
Sure. It is also something a football fan would say when TMZ interrupts a game.

The game was over in the first quarter

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4951224 said:

She is smokin hot

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4951316 said:
Agree to disagree I guess. Head shoulders, I don't see it.

I agree with you that Bama is not head and shoulders above the rest. They have lost one game each of the last two years and needed Baylor and Iowa State to help them into the BCS Championship game. Oregon has a similar record over the last three years but the Pac-12 isn't strong enough to help the Ducks like the SEC helps Bama.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Cythim;4953788 said:
I agree with you that Bama is not head and shoulders above the rest. They have lost one game each of the last two years and needed Baylor and Iowa State to help them into the BCS Championship game. Oregon has a similar record over the last three years but the Pac-12 isn't strong enough to help the Ducks like the SEC helps Bama.

How does it feel to have a program on the rise, lots of hope for the future and every chance to compete for a National Championship? Pretty darn good I suspect.