NBA 2015 Season Talk

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If you take away the San Antonio game Parsons has looked very good so far, if he's gonna keep producing like this he's gonna be worth every penny of that contract. No idea what's going on with the Mavs in the 3rd qtr this year they let Boston back in the game last night after being up as much as 32 points at one point

Part of that is Dallas being Dallas but the other part is Boston finally played the way that fit that team.
Smart has always been a great pressure on the ball guy and they have Rondo and Bradley both on that team as well.
They went all out pressure and it slowed the Mavs offense mightily.

The Celtics problem is they are terrible at the 4 and 5 defensively. TERRIBLE.

So they need that guard pressure to limit passing.

My pet peeve is teams who allow an offense to operate while sitting back passively.
I hate it on all levels.

Basketball is about pressure and aggression.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If you take away the San Antonio game Parsons has looked very good so far, if he's gonna keep producing like this he's gonna be worth every penny of that contract. No idea what's going on with the Mavs in the 3rd qtr this year they let Boston back in the game last night after being up as much as 32 points at one point

Parsons is what he is. A good long player with enough streak shooting to keep people honest and a nice slashing game.
He's a solid help defender because of length.

If you do not put a quality defender on him he will eat you up with drives to the basket.

He's a great fit in Dallas where you also have to guard Dirk and Monta or else lose.
Outside SA very few teams can handle that trip on the floor at once.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The max deal of the past (KG, Kobe) isn't the max deal of today. These contracts aren't really that bad. It doesn't really handicap a team that much. Klay getting one ensured that Kawhi is going to get one.

They should have already extended Kawhi. The next CBA is going to make this max seem like MLE.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
They should have already extended Kawhi. The next CBA is going to make this max seem like MLE.

makes me question will he be a spur... its not as much a forgone conclusion like people think....
I don't remember the spurs ever giving out a max contract... maybe parker is close?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
makes me question will he be a spur... its not as much a forgone conclusion like people think....
I don't remember the spurs ever giving out a max contract... maybe parker is close?

What's clear is Timmy and the old man crew don't have Kawhi on the same lesser money plan.

Kawhi is their only young stud. They should just pay the guy realizing the new CBA will make what he is paid fair to below market in short order.
If they think he'll take some Dirk or Tim deal they are wrong.
He's much younger and has already won, now he wants to get paid.
Dallas paid Parsons to have a similar type guy.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
What's clear is Timmy and the old man crew don't have Kawhi on the same lesser money plan.

Kawhi is their only young stud. They should just pay the guy realizing the new CBA will make what he is paid fair to below market in short order.
If they think he'll take some Dirk or Tim deal they are wrong.
He's much younger and has already won, now he wants to get paid.
Dallas paid Parsons to have a similar type guy.

well now they have to play the waiting game.... trade him to philly for a first and 10 2nds! :D

bounce

Reaction score
I think they'll pay him what his market value is - and I think it's the max. The only reason Timmy/Manu took team friendly deals is because they'd already made a crap-ton of money in previous contracts, and wouldn't have gotten those 'make good' deals on the open market. Kawhi is a young star with a Finals MVP on his resume. When guys like Klay Thompson and Gordon Hayward are handed max deals, you pay Kawhi a max deal. I think, ultimately, they'll be fine because I've grown to trust the Spurs FO, but I just don't want them burned by a Cuban/Parsons type deal at 12:01am when he's an RFA. I don't like playing poker here.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think they'll pay him what his market value is - and I think it's the max. The only reason Timmy/Manu took team friendly deals is because they'd already made a crap-ton of money in previous contracts, and wouldn't have gotten those 'make good' deals on the open market. Kawhi is a young star with a Finals MVP on his resume. When guys like Klay Thompson and Gordon Hayward are handed max deals, you pay Kawhi a max deal. I think, ultimately, they'll be fine because I've grown to trust the Spurs FO, but I just don't want them burned by a Cuban/Parsons type deal at 12:01am when he's an RFA. I don't like playing poker here.

It's pointless poker.
His market is definitely max.

As with Hayward and Parsons some team is going to make him an offer that is harder to match than just a normal max deal they can sign right now.

With the CBA coming it is better for teams to sign now.

Kawhi is the loan true building block for after Pop/Tim. --Anderson and Patty Mills can certainly join that group.

John813

Reaction score
Kawhi deserves a max contract.

He's on his way to be the next cornerstone of the Spurs.

MC KAos

Reaction score
of course he deserves the max, but the spurs did the smart thing. He isn't gonna cost more next offseason than right now, the max is the max. plus, if he gets hurt or has a complete **** season (neither of which I'm cheering for, obviously) they can resign him for less. its only logical to wait

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
of course he deserves the max, but the spurs did the smart thing. He isn't gonna cost more next offseason than right now, the max is the max. plus, if he gets hurt or has a complete **** season (neither of which I'm cheering for, obviously) they can resign him for less. its only logical to wait

nope... cba is coming up... the max will be a lot more...

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I remember in the other thread, getting into a bit of a debate with a Sixers fan who acted like I was disrespecting them when I said they would suck this year. Well, so far, I am correct, as they are 0-4. I know the season is very young, but right now they are what I said they were. I do hope, for the sake of Coach Brown, that they are able to get it together and become competitive.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
the spurs need to cut down on their turnovers. they should be 3-0 but they are giving away the ball like its Halloween candy. That is absolutely unacceptable.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
I remember in the other thread, getting into a bit of a debate with a Sixers fan who acted like I was disrespecting them when I said they would suck this year. Well, so far, I am correct, as they are 0-4. I know the season is very young, but right now they are what I said they were. I do hope, for the sake of Coach Brown, that they are able to get it together and become competitive.

nah, they won't be good this year... but they are fun to watch.... which is probably what that sixers fan said... at this point a sixers fan taking basketball as serious as you die hard spurs fan would be asinine... but than again cowboyszone is a serious place;)....being that everyone wants to be right and all...
KJ McDaniels is gonna be a good one!

"May not be ready for primetime, but they will be fun to watch as the afternoon matineeo_O"
silly sixers fan

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

No, they haven't.
Every day closer to that CBA is what the agent wants.
The Agent would LOVE to get Kawhi extended only one year then eat on the new CBA with no max contracts.
Kawhi could end up getting offered 20m or more by some team looking for a young established player to build around that knows how to win.
The Spurs are foolish to mess around.
Just early max the kid and be done with it.
Have him locked up for years into the new CBA.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
nah, they won't be good this year... but they are fun to watch.... which is probably what that sixers fan said... at this point a sixers fan taking basketball as serious as you die hard spurs fan would be asinine... but than again cowboyszone is a serious place;)....being that everyone wants to be right and all...
KJ McDaniels is gonna be a good one!

"May not be ready for primetime, but they will be fun to watch as the afternoon matineeo_O"
silly sixers fan

They've got a chance to follow the OKC model.
I could see them grab the next Russell Westbrook (Emanuel Mudiay) out of the upcoming draft since they already have the bigs in place.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
the spurs need to cut down on their turnovers. they should be 3-0 but they are giving away the ball like its Halloween candy. That is absolutely unacceptable.

repeating is hard, repeating for the spurs will be harder than for most because thy aren't deep, especially more talented than others or young.
but they'll be fine with regards to turnovers if they can keep Parker healthy.

It's real early. the first 10 games are basically pre-season.