NBA 2015 Season Talk

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
if you say so... i think they are both solid players... Diaw has a high skill level..
and I watched Marco take the Nets apart in a 7 game series along with Nate Robinson while with the Bulls..
They come to play.......Role players, yes, scrubs, not in my book...

I guess we have a different definition of "scrub"

Belinelli right after that playoffs was a free agent and the Bulls made no attempt to bring him back.
He got 2 years and ~5m total.

That is scrub money.

Diaw got 7.5m a year long term which is solid money but still middling as a 4.

The Spurs have gotten great bench production but again the talent level is mediocre at best and the individual players are largely overrated.

bounce

Reaction score
Belinelli right after that playoffs was a free agent and the Bulls made no attempt to bring him back.

That is scrub money.

The Spurs have gotten great bench production but again the talent level is mediocre at best and the individual players are largely overrated.

Yes - the sum is greater than the parts. Who argues otherwise? Their bench is very good because their system is good. That was largely acknowledged by just about everyone last year. When you get to 9-12 on just about any roster, they're largely the same. No team has stars 1-12.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score

That is scrub money.

If I remember correctly bulls wanted to resign him, but were capped strapped, signed DJ Augustine (Vet minimum), and drafted Tony Snell, but okay, like I said, I think we have a different definition of "Scrub". I happen to think they are both quality role players.....
I think Diaw proves his stripes not only in nba ball, but in international ball, he killed spain this year during the knockout round....

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Blazers have 70 pts in the 1st half with 4 minutes left. Nuggets decide defense was optional on Wednesday's?

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Blazers have 70 pts in the 1st half with 4 minutes left. Nuggets decide defense was optional on Wednesday's?

I love Manimal.... but he's not a great rim protector because he is short, and this isn't all on him, its just a comment, he needs help....... and the big guys, mcgee, or moscov, are only situational rim protectors because of their limitations...(health, mental, athleticism)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yes - the sum is greater than the parts. Who argues otherwise? Their bench is very good because their system is good. That was largely acknowledged by just about everyone last year. When you get to 9-12 on just about any roster, they're largely the same. No team has stars 1-12.

Um the guy above is arguing it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If I remember correctly bulls wanted to resign him, but were capped strapped, signed DJ Augustine (Vet minimum), and drafted Tony Snell, but okay, like I said, I think we have a different definition of "Scrub". I happen to think they are both quality role players.....
I think Diaw proves his stripes not only in nba ball, but in international ball, he killed spain this year during the knockout round....

The Bulls had rights so cash wasn't a problem. They simply thought they had better options and have drafted other shooters.
The entire NBA had a chance to bid and he earned only a 2 year deal for ~5 mil so that's what the NBA thought of him AFTER the playoffs where he played largely because of injuries to 3 other guys.

Diaw averages 9 points and under 5 boards internationally... same as he does in the NBA.
He is what he is but he is only mediocre.
The guy is a legit rotation piece but his importance and play are earmarks of being in the right system for his game.
If he is asked to rebound and play defense he'll fail badly, but as a point forward he is quite useful.
No one maximizes or appreciates bball IQ like Pop.

The Mavs had the same thing when they won a title.
Everyone was gaga over their depth then when those guys got jobs elsewhere all of a sudden they sucked.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That team is scary good offensively. I would love to see a GSW/Portland series

They were both scary good last year early then faded.
We'll see if this is different or more of the same.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
They were both scary good last year early then faded.
We'll see if this is different or more of the same.

You referring to the Warriors? Blazers finished the season strong and won their first round series against the Rockets. They lost to the Spurs in the 2nd round but eventually so did everyone else.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
The Bulls had rights so cash wasn't a problem. They simply thought they had better options and have drafted other shooters.
The entire NBA had a chance to bid and he earned only a 2 year deal for ~5 mil so that's what the NBA thought of him AFTER the playoffs where he played largely because of injuries to 3 other guys.

Diaw averages 9 points and under 5 boards internationally... same as he does in the NBA.
He is what he is but he is only mediocre.
The guy is a legit rotation piece but his importance and play are earmarks of being in the right system for his game.
If he is asked to rebound and play defense he'll fail badly, but as a point forward he is quite useful.
No one maximizes or appreciates bball IQ like Pop.

The Mavs had the same thing when they won a title.
Everyone was gaga over their depth then when those guys got jobs elsewhere all of a sudden they sucked.

it is a problem if you're trying to avoid the luxury tax....
we're not going to agree... and that's cool...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You referring to the Warriors? Blazers finished the season strong and won their first round series against the Rockets. They lost to the Spurs in the 2nd round but eventually so did everyone else.

Blazers went from a 2 seed first couple months to a 5-6 seed after a very hot start.
They fell off mightily.
The did beat the Rockets in round 1 but the Rockets haven't won a playoff series in forever.

The Blazers didn't lose to the Spurs they failed to show up for the series.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Yes they dropped off a bit but then closed the season 9-1. They rebounded and finished strong. Many people did not expect much from them last year so I think they had a great season. As for the Playoffs, The Spurs woke up the second round of the Playoffs and wiped the floor with every team. They beat the Blazers 4-1, Thunder 4-2, and Heat 4-1.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Watching Mavs/76ers last night was tough.
That was shockingly one-sided.

So much young talent on that 76ers team but they need a veteran coach and some veteran players.
They can't tank every year. Sheesh.
The young 76ers would be wise to watch Dirk and learn about offensive efficiency.
That is such a huge key to winning.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I've always been impressed with the Pelicans. I think they have the talent to surprise people this year. Anthony Davis is officially a superstar. And they're finally healthy. They have one of the most loaded starting lineups in the league and possible the 6th man of the year. Watch out for these guys. They just beat Minnesota by 48.

C Omer Asik
PF Anthony Davis
SF Tyreke Evans
SG Eric Gordon
PG Jrue Holliday

Bench
Ryan Anderson
Austin Rivers

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score

That is scrub money.

your definition of depth is narrow-minded. Look at all the players that leave the Patriots and don't really do much elsewhere. The Spurs have great depth. All the players know the system, can run the system with great efficiency, and can compete with any other team in the league. Just look at last year when the Spurs sat 4 of their top 5 players against the Heat in Miami and still almost won the game. If not for a late surge from the Heat starters, they would have won it. That is depth.

Also, when a player comes to the Spurs, he usually struggles his first year, while learning the complex system......a system that requires not only physical tools but mental tools. It is a complex system that is all about team orientation. You have to sell out on both the offensive and defensive ends. The Spurs players are required to play at both ends, or they don't play. So, while you call them scrubs, cause you obviously don't grasp the small details of basketball, they are not scrubs at all. And who cares if they are end of bench players on other teams. Gary Neal was our starting SG, got traded to Milwaukee and never saw the floor (the Bucks continued to suck, while leaving him on the pine). He ended up in Charlotte and was a major reason for Charlotte's playoff run last year. Blair went to Dallas last year and had a pretty good year, almost helped the Mavs upset he Spurs in the playoffs (they don't get even close without the play of Blair). George Hill has done well in Indy an is a starter, plus he got us Leonard.

The Spurs are the class of the NBA. Every other team marvels at how they run their team and the quality and depth of their roster. They don't have many athletes who can jump out of the gym and thunder dunk everywhere like a lot of the other team, they just have 15 BASKETBALL players. Players who work as 1, who are selfless, who are team oriented, who care more about winning, than about personal goals or looking good on highlight reels.

So, I will take my "no depth" Spurs anytime over any other team you want to throw out there. And when my Spurs do come to town, all you need to know is this......

THE CHAMP IS HERE

Go Spurs Go

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Blazers went from a 2 seed first couple months to a 5-6 seed after a very hot start.
They fell off mightily.
The did beat the Rockets in round 1 but the Rockets haven't won a playoff series in forever.

The Blazers didn't lose to the Spurs they failed to show up for the series.

No, the Blazers were the recipient of a beat down courtesy of the Dallas Mavericks. After the Mavs took the Spurs to 7, they woke up and just destroyed the Blazers. Portland had no chance, as the Spurs were on a mission and simply would not be stopped.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I've always been impressed with the Pelicans. I think they have the talent to surprise people this year. Anthony Davis is officially a superstar. And they're finally healthy. They have one of the most loaded starting lineups in the league and possible the 6th man of the year. Watch out for these guys. They just beat Minnesota by 48.

C Omer Asik
PF Anthony Davis
SF Tyreke Evans
SG Eric Gordon
PG Jrue Holliday

Bench
Ryan Anderson
Austin Rivers

they are a good young team. let's see how the entire season plays out. IMO, Unibrow is the best big in the NBA.

bounce

Reaction score

C Omer Asik
PF Anthony Davis
SF Tyreke Evans
SG Eric Gordon
PG Jrue Holliday

Bench
Ryan Anderson
Austin Rivers

A pretty powerful article on Ryan Anderson: http://www.si.com/nba/2014/11/13/ryan-anderson-gia-allemand