NBA 2016 Offseason: Draft, Trades & Free Agency

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Celtics reportedly on the verge of a big trade. Rumors are it's either Blake Griffin, Demarcus Cousins or Russell Westbrook.

The most fleshed out rumor ive seen has Griffin going to Boston, Crowder to Sac, and Gay to LAC, with other assets involved. Im assuming the Celtics would be sending picks ( including at least 1 Brooklyn pick) to LA

(per Rotoworld)

The Celtics have not been involved in any recent trade talks for Russell Westbrook or Blake Griffin.

Both Griffin and Westbrook will be unrestricted free agents next summer, so if Boston were to trade for either, they would need a promise that the player they're trading for would be willing to sign an extension. The Celtics are also concerned about the health of Griffin's leg that reportedly required a bone marrow transplant at the end of the 2015-16 season. That being said, Boston GM Danny Ainge is still being very "active" pursuing possible deals, and Jahlil Okafor may be his most realistic target.

Source: Boston Herald

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
(per Rotoworld)

The Celtics have not been involved in any recent trade talks for Russell Westbrook or Blake Griffin.

Both Griffin and Westbrook will be unrestricted free agents next summer, so if Boston were to trade for either, they would need a promise that the player they're trading for would be willing to sign an extension. The Celtics are also concerned about the health of Griffin's leg that reportedly required a bone marrow transplant at the end of the 2015-16 season. That being said, Boston GM Danny Ainge is still being very "active" pursuing possible deals, and Jahlil Okafor may be his most realistic target.

Source: Boston Herald

Bulpett still thinks Okafor is a strong possibility. I dont know how much better he makes you right now, but it could be a good long term trade especially of they can land Giles next draft. Reality is no matter what trade they do they arent competing with the Warriors this season, and I wouldnt give up a high lotto pick in a very strong draft for a 1 year rental in Griffin or Westbrook

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Bulpett still thinks Okafor is a strong possibility. I dont know how much better he makes you right now, but it could be a good long term trade especially of they can land Giles next draft. Reality is no matter what trade they do they arent competing with the Warriors this season, and I wouldnt give up a high lotto pick in a very strong draft for a 1 year rental in Griffin or Westbrook

No one should give up assests for Westbrook. When he'll be a free agent in a year. Griffin has the leg problem, that is risky enough. As a Laker fan, no way I trade our young core for a 1 year rental. Gutting the team for him (Westbrook), makes no sense. As you say, no one is touching the Warriors anyways.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No one should give up assests for Westbrook. When he'll be a free agent in a year. Griffin has the leg problem, that is risky enough. As a Laker fan, no way I trade our young core for a 1 year rental. Gutting the team for him, no way her resigns. As you say, no one is touching the Warriors anyways.

If I was Boston, Id consider Westbrook only for 1 or 2 of the Celtics own first rounders (should be in mid/late 20's) and Terry Rozier. Wouldnt even want to give up Smart. Thats about it and I dont see the Thunder even considering that.

The only reason you trade for him is to be in the driver seat next offseason to resign him. And thats not even worth much

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The most logical trade is still Russ for Blake.
Fill it out however but that trade really works.

Yes, OKC would be super front court heavy but you can always trade a quality big.

Griffin is an OU guy and Russ an LA guy.

Playing with CP3 would allow Russ to be a 2G and play a primary scorers role without turning it over 15 times a game.

Boston is not really a great fit for either guy and the story is coming out of Boston so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The most logical trade is still Russ for Blake.
Fill it out however but that trade really works.

Yes, OKC would be super front court heavy but you can always trade a quality big.

Griffin is an OU guy and Russ an LA guy.

Playing with CP3 would allow Russ to be a 2G and play a primary scorers role without turning it over 15 times a game.

Boston is not really a great fit for either guy and the story is coming out of Boston so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Its been reported that there hasnt been any talk within the Celtics organization about either player in quite some time

Most likely if they make any move it will probably wind up being for Okafor. Guess would be Smart and a couple non Brooklyn picks

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Blake's a free agent at the end of the season, so why would they trade Westbrook, in an attempt to not lose him for nothing, just for Blake, only to lose him for nothing?

because neither team has a guarantee anyway.
so you trade away a guy who you feel may well walk for a guy you believe will stay.

griffin is an OU guy and the most likely star they could get to be happy at home in OKC.
he can punch all the ball boys he wants.

russ is a west coast guy through and through and he'd likely resign in LA just to be in LA.
but he doesn't wanna lose 50 games so Lakers are a long shot.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
because neither team has a guarantee anyway.
so you trade away a guy who you feel may well walk for a guy you believe will stay.

griffin is an OU guy and the most likely star they could get to be happy at home in OKC.
he can punch all the ball boys he wants.

russ is a west coast guy through and through and he'd likely resign in LA just to be in LA.
but he doesn't wanna lose 50 games so Lakers are a long shot.

You make a decent case as to why OKC would like Griffin, but make no case what so ever for why Griffin would want to go there and sign long term there. Yes, he's from Oklahoma, but he seems very much like an LA guy now, that's just my opinion and can't be quantified, but he's given no indication ever that he would like to go back home and play. On top of that, Griffin in OKC with no durrant or westbrook, isn't a very good team and I don't see why they would be any more likely to retain him, stars aren't interested in rebuilds, if you aren't a team on the cusp, then it's unlikely that you'll retain/lure big free agents. In fact, keeping Westbrook gives them a better chance at luring Griffin next offseason, then dealing Westbrook and hoping to lure him back.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You make a decent case as to why OKC would like Griffin, but make no case what so ever for why Griffin would want to go there and sign long term there. Yes, he's from Oklahoma, but he seems very much like an LA guy now, that's just my opinion and can't be quantified, but he's given no indication ever that he would like to go back home and play. On top of that, Griffin in OKC with no durrant or westbrook, isn't a very good team and I don't see why they would be any more likely to retain him, stars aren't interested in rebuilds, if you aren't a team on the cusp, then it's unlikely that you'll retain/lure big free agents. In fact, keeping Westbrook gives them a better chance at luring Griffin next offseason, then dealing Westbrook and hoping to lure him back.

Certainly a fair point but apparently Griffin has fallen out a bit with CP3.
In OU he becomes the man and star to build around.
LAC is a far better team but it's still not competing with GSW.

Griffin may love LA but he was born and raised in Oklahoma City. He chose to stay there for college.

OKC's current PLAN(Dream) is to extend Russ early then go hard after Griffin as a free agent.

Just my personal suggestion but I believe re-signing Russ is the hard part in that equation.

I also believe KD knew that as thus was willing to leave.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
  • A majority of the NBA guys love playing on the Coasts - I.e west coast (lakers, golden state, clippers) or east coast ( Miami, NY, maybe Boston )
  • Places that they reeeealy don't like are - Toronto, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Utah, Indiana, Cleveland ( pre - Lebrun) just to name a few.
You got better weather, better nightlife, and the beaches. Tops down rolling in 70-75 degree nights

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Spurs with another quiet move....adding David Lee on a two year deal. He will add some quality rebounding and adequate scoring off the bench. Sure, his defense is weak.....but his rebounding is an asset the Spurs definitely and desperately need.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I know the chances of it happening are extremely low, but I would love to see Westbrook join the Spurs next summer. I don't know what to do about Parker, as I want him to be a Spurs lifer, but at the same time, if Westbrook is an option you have to consider all angles, even of one of them is trading Tony.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Spurs with another quiet move....adding David Lee on a two year deal. He will add some quality rebounding and adequate scoring off the bench. Sure, his defense is weak.....but his rebounding is an asset the Spurs definitely and desperately need.
good move.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I know the chances of it happening are extremely low, but I would love to see Westbrook join the Spurs next summer. I don't know what to do about Parker, as I want him to be a Spurs lifer, but at the same time, if Westbrook is an option you have to consider all angles, even of one of them is trading Tony.

He'll consider the Lakers with their young core (with Walton aboard) before the Spurs. Since he is from L.A.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
He'll consider the Lakers with their young core (with Walton aboard) before the Spurs. Since he is from L.A.

I know he is from there, went to UCLA and all.....and I know he is heavily into fashion, which probably leaves 4 teams.....Lakers, Clippers, Heat, and Knicks.....as those 3 cities are fashion hubs here in the U.S. But, being from LA and having family and friends there, he will probably choose the Lakers or Clippers, if he isn't traded and re-upped before then.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I know he is from there, went to UCLA and all.....and I know he is heavily into fashion, which probably leaves 4 teams.....Lakers, Clippers, Heat, and Knicks.....as those 3 cities are fashion hubs here in the U.S. But, being from LA and having family and friends there, he will probably choose the Lakers or Clippers, if he isn't traded and re-upped before then.

I beiieve he'll get traded this season. OKC is crazy to keep him. As a Laker fan,hope Gasol does well for the Spurs. He is a true professional and is still loved by many Laker fans.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I beiieve he'll get traded this season. OKC is crazy to keep him. As a Laker fan,hope Gasol does well for the Spurs. He is a true professional and is still loved by many Laker fans.[/]

I despise the Lakers, but I do root for Clarkson, he is from San Antonio, and went to Wagner HS, which is the other HS in Judson ISD. However, I don't really root for the other one, the guy from OKC who went to Wagner.....I don't know why, but he just comes across as unlikeable. Clarkson comes across and hard working, hard playing....but also humble. I wish he was a Spur.