NBA Off-season

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ya, Im pretty high on Turner which is it was frustrating and perplexing to read that Ainge may not have valued him.

As for the exception, I don't see them using it until the season is over. I think they will try and stay out of the tax for the league year, and there will likely be more opportunities to use it in the offseason. However if something interesting pops up during the season around the trade deadline, Ainge could pull the trigger. I dont think Ainge will be as conservative as he has been the last few years in dealing frps. Barnes is still gonna be a guy Ill probably keep circling back to because of fit and the ability to still split the exception (20m/7.5ishM)
Turner is just in a bad spot because big men have such poor value league wide right now.
If they want to be paid well then they have little trade value.

HB fits great because you could add him and not hit the hard cap. He'd basically fill the GH role in the rotation in a bit different way.

I def could see the lower use of the TPE next year but once the off-season hits not sure they even need to do so.
BOS is a really good well-coached team and Ainge has pulled off some crazy stuff but I'm just not seeing this one yet.
I'd have left GH walk and just kept my 2nds.
The real issue in BOS is Kemba's health. If he's healthy that's a darn good team that I might not mettle with much.
If he's not then I might need a scoring ball handler by the trade deadline.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Turner is just in a bad spot because big men have such poor value league wide right now.
If they want to be paid well then they have little trade value.

HB fits great because you could add him and not hit the hard cap. He'd basically fill the GH role in the rotation in a bit different way.

I def could see the lower use of the TPE next year but once the off-season hits not sure they even need to do so.
BOS is a really good well-coached team and Ainge has pulled off some crazy stuff but I'm just not seeing this one yet.
I'd have left GH walk and just kept my 2nds.
The real issue in BOS is Kemba's health. If he's healthy that's a darn good team that I might not mettle with much.
If he's not then I might need a scoring ball handler by the trade deadline.
Ainge was saying they feel pretty good about Kemba's knee long. Said Kemba got several opinions and they were all the same. We'll see if its legit or just GM speak though

ghst187

Reaction score
Not sure how Wall or Westbrook make their new teams any better....

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Not sure how Wall or Westbrook make their new teams any better....

Considering how long Wall has been injured, he certainly makes the Wizards better. And at least with the Wizards they have good floor spacers in Beal and *hopefully* Hachimura and Avdija. They won't be a championship contender but they'll make the playoffs if they're healthy

Houston was more about starting the re-build. They get a first from WSH and likely still plan on moving Harden. If Wall can show something coming off injury next to Harden, a contender desperate for a PG *could* make a deal.

I think Wall has a much better chance at raising his trade value playing next to Harden in Houston then Beal in Washington, so as bad as his contract is, 3 years at $41 mil, I can see a team like Miami trading for him *if* Giannis signs an extension with Milwaukee

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Brandon Ingram is no scrub.
No doubt, really good player but they traded him off as part of a trade where thy parted with half the franchise.
But the Lakers aren't a drafting team, they are a recruiting team.
It's smart they leaned into that by hiring an Agent GM.
No shade at them, it is the best model for them to succeed in LA.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Considering how long Wall has been injured, he certainly makes the Wizards better. And at least with the Wizards they have good floor spacers in Beal and *hopefully* Hachimura and Avdija. They won't be a championship contender but they'll make the playoffs if they're healthy

Houston was more about starting the re-build. They get a first from WSH and likely still plan on moving Harden. If Wall can show something coming off injury next to Harden, a contender desperate for a PG *could* make a deal.

I think Wall has a much better chance at raising his trade value playing next to Harden in Houston then Beal in Washington, so as bad as his contract is, 3 years at $41 mil, I can see a team like Miami trading for him *if* Giannis signs an extension with Milwaukee
It was just a classic fresh start deal.
Both guys wanted to move and they were close enough in bad contract land to get it done.
HOU is taking a larger gamble but with a larger possible pay off. --Wall at 90% of his best self gives HOU incredible spacing and ball movement. Russ gives WAS far more help(scoring and rebounding) but they have already jettisoned vets for kids so are rebuilding.
Beal/Russ has same issue Russ/Harden did. Russ is really good but you need to let him play 99MPH and make mistakes and miss shots. That reduces shots for far more efficient guys like Harden/Beal.
OKC always staggered Russ/Harden because they weren't a great fit together.

End of day there just weren't any other offers for those 2. They kinda had to make it work or deal with bitter players on massive deals.

rags

Reaction score
For those who haven't heard the news, the Bucks have extended the contract of Giannis A. 5 years and $228M.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
No doubt, really good player but they traded him off as part of a trade where thy parted with half the franchise.
But the Lakers aren't a drafting team, they are a recruiting team.
It's smart they leaned into that by hiring an Agent GM.
No shade at them, it is the best model for them to succeed in LA.

Aren't a drafting team?

2/46 - Talen Horton-Tucker

Tucker had 18 points tonight in the comeback win vs the Suns.
20 years old. He can play.

1/25 - Moritz Wagner
2/47 - Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk

1/2 - Lonzo Ball
1/27 - Kyle Kuzma
1/30 - Josh Hart
2/42 - Thomas Bryant

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Aren't a drafting team?

2/46 - Talen Horton-Tucker

Tucker had 18 points tonight in the comeback win vs the Suns.
20 years old. He can play.

1/25 - Moritz Wagner
2/47 - Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk

1/2 - Lonzo Ball
1/27 - Kyle Kuzma
1/30 - Josh Hart
2/42 - Thomas Bryant
ROFL dude... not sure if you are just trying to argue or determined to make awful points.
How many of those players are still Lakers?
The Lakers were dead awful for years and they have about 3 guys on that entire roster who were drafted by them.

LAL has no patience to draft and build. They sign FA and trade off their draftees as fodder.
It is a preferred model.

Tucker MAY be a find. BUT he is there because he had no value in trade.
This elevated play has been over pre-season with the Lakers resting a lot of people.
He played in only 6 games last year.
It's not that likely he is even in the regular season rotation.

The Lakers didn't even make ANY R1 picks from 2010 til 2014.
They drafted Julius Randle at 7 in 2014.
D'Angelo Russell at 2 in 2015.
Brandon Ingram at 2 in 2016.
Lonzo Ball at 2 in 2017.
Then proceeded to not even offer Randle a contract.
Trade Russell, then Ingram and Ball.
In 2019 and 2020 they drafted R1 guys and immediately traded them.

So no the Lakers are not a drafting team.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Just to be clear, a drafting team means one that builds it's team through the draft.

That is say the San Antonio Spurs.
They draft guys and expect them to help the team with actual play.

Non-drafting teams like My Mavs for the prior 15 years until 2018 draft guys to stash or trade them.
The Lakers are in a non-drafting team.
It isn't an insult and it's most certainly not shocking.
The Lakers projected starting 5 includes zero players they drafted.
The expected 9 man rotation includes 1 draftee. Kuz.

I think the Lakers are the best team in the league by a decent margin and got better after the championship.
I'm stating the obvious not crapping on them.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Great win last night by the C's. Both Tatum and Brown look primed to take that next step. I fully expect Brown to join Tatum in being named am All Star this year. Teague on the bench is looking like its going to pay dividends

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Harden has apparently expanded his list to include Boston. Im gonna say pass on that. I think the thing to do is stay the course and make a run this year with Tatum and Brown. Then after the season evaluate what you need to do with that core. You have a 28 million dollar in salary you can add to the roster in the offseason.

Adding a personality like Harden is far too much of a gamble, especially after Kyrie in 2018/2019

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Brandon Ingram is no scrub.
I gotta take jterrel's side on this one.

However look at it this way. I always though the core they drafted would mature to be good enough to be a mid season in the playoffs, with the second round or maybe Western Conference Finals as a ceiling. Similar to the Jim Obrien coached Paul Peirce/ Antoine Walker led Celtics in the late 90's early 2000's. Good enough for alot of franchise's. Not good enough for the Lakers. Lakers used that core to put another banner in the rafters, and are the leading contenders to add another. Thats good management

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
  • Westbrook has started his stint with the Wizards in the most Westbrook way.....triple-double and the L.
  • It’s only been 1.25 worth of games but I really like what I’ve seen from Wiseman so far. No hesitation shooting the three.