NBA Off-season

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I play that guy until he’s in a wheelchair...lol
I figure where OKC is going, they will build around SGA for the next couple years. They will probably be picking top 5 and will fill that roster with young talent. At that point they will probably start making trades. With the amount of assets they have and cap space, the sky is the limit

ghst187

Reaction score
I figure where OKC is going, they will build around SGA for the next couple years. They will probably be picking top 5 and will fill that roster with young talent. At that point they will probably start making trades. With the amount of assets they have and cap space, the sky is the limit

holy cow they just traded Adams and added even more picks. They may soon own the entirety of the next four drafts.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
New Orleans looking good...

C: Adams, Hayes
PF: Williamson
SF: Ingram, Hart
SG: Bledsoe, Reddick
PG: Ball, Hill

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
holy cow they just traded Adams and added even more picks. They may soon own the entirety of the next four drafts.

which is the smart move, they were at best a first round exit team out west with no real way to improve. Pelicans were able to turn 2 good players, Davis and Holiday, with a little lottery luck into a pretty good team with a bunch of low first rounders coming their way.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
The money that’s being thrown around this off-season is nuts.

I don’t understand what Detroit is doing. But keep at it, Detroit.

Milwaukee has to feel like ****.

Clippers have stumbled backwards.

Lakers made out well. Philly looks more balanced.

Chicago did nothing.... which I’m not sure how that’s a shock to the fan base. It always made sense to see what a new staff and system could do for the first half of the season and try to build up trade value. I expect them to be sellers at the deadline (either Markannen or Carter... outside chance of both). Young will get traded sooner rather than later. Porter has an expiring they could use for taking on salary and picks.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The money that’s being thrown around this off-season is nuts.

I don’t understand what Detroit is doing. But keep at it, Detroit.

Milwaukee has to feel like ****.

Clippers have stumbled backwards.

Lakers made out well. Philly looks more balanced.

Chicago did nothing.... which I’m not sure how that’s a shock to the fan base. It always made sense to see what a new staff and system could do for the first half of the season and try to build up trade value. I expect them to be sellers at the deadline (either Markannen or Carter... outside chance of both). Young will get traded sooner rather than later. Porter has an expiring they could use for taking on salary and picks.
Morey has done a really good job so far in Philadelphia. Especially in getting rid of Horfords contract. He didnt give up as much as I thought he would have to

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Good point. But CP was glue to surrounding casts and made the team so much better. Like Chauncey Billups back in the day. No idea why a team would get rid of a player like that. just throwing a bunch of good players at the roster doesn’t make it a good team.
OKC is burning it to the studs to start "the process". Presti is gonna Presti.
They wanna rebuild around the next young generational talent that comes along then use the zillion remaining picks to trade for co-stars.
CP3 has an albatross of a deal and until his performance last year was deemed virtually untradeable.
PHO has a legit star in Booker and needed a savvy vet that can show a team how to win.
It was a great move and lots of folks retire to Phoenix and love it there so CP3 may well call it home forever.

Right now OKC saves a ton of money, gets younger, and loaded up with picks to enter the tankathon in a year where they don't appear to be 10 teams following suit. .

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think its one of those situations where they would prefer getting something for an asset. Personally Im not gloom and doom over losing Hayward for nothing if that happens. It gets us under the tax and we won four playoff series without him the last three years. I dont really think we are in our championship window yet. I think our real window is when Tatum and Brown are halfway through their 2nd contracts and some of our picks the last few years have matured
Oh No doubt about it. I follow Mavs twitter and get why each fanbase has crazy ideas and expectations.
I didn;t see Charlotte coming out with a monster offer but alas it makes some sense as they probably are as desperate as NYK.

Still no idea what the Knicks are doing other than watching a historic franchise burn.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like the Tristan Thompson signing for Boston. Two years for the Non Tax Payer MLE. Very good switch defender and offensive rebound, and brings alot of toughness inside. He started hitting 3's last year as well, although he only averaged about .4 attempts per game. We brought in Jeff Teague as well, but Im not sure if its a vet min or Bi-annual MLE.

Supposedly we are working on a sign and trade with Charlotte even though they stretched Batum to clear room

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Ok, need someone to help get me excited for Obi Toppin. Do I have any reason to believe that he's any better than say 2011 #2 pick Derrick Williams? I get that he's a better athlete and probably is more capable of playing above the rim, but I don't know, I don't see much upside in him.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ok, need someone to help get me excited for Obi Toppin. Do I have any reason to believe that he's any better than say 2011 #2 pick Derrick Williams? I get that he's a better athlete and probably is more capable of playing above the rim, but I don't know, I don't see much upside in him.
Offensively he is a good modern 4. Very athletic and good shooting ability. At 22 he is mature so you shouldn't see a steep curve. Not a good defender though, however with his athleticism that can improve.

Kinda reminds me of a more explosive, less smooth healthy Jabari Parker

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I like the Tristan Thompson signing for Boston. Two years for the Non Tax Payer MLE. Very good switch defender and offensive rebound, and brings alot of toughness inside. He started hitting 3's last year as well, although he only averaged about .4 attempts per game. We brought in Jeff Teague as well, but Im not sure if its a vet min or Bi-annual MLE.

Supposedly we are working on a sign and trade with Charlotte even though they stretched Batum to clear room
TT is def an improvement over Kanter.
Teague is a good value at that price.
BOS has plenty of talent and it's just about dialing it in.

Don't see any way BOS can get in on S&T as CHA has nothing left to trade money-wise.
That salary is crazy for Hayward. 4 years 130M is bananas.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Mavs fans are in a tizzy, sheesh.

Dallas got a starting Wing in Josh Richardson, added a low rotation player in the draft in Josh Green, and shipped out the 2 worst performing rotation members, JJax and Delon.
I'm not sure why they are melting down but DAL not using the full 9.3M MLE for a big name is killing them, lol.
Dallas had 6M left of the MLE to use; likely on a flooded-market Big.

I think they'll keep examining the trade market up to the trade deadline. Probably for a creator to play when Luka is off the court.

Anyways, lets get rolling. Can't wait for the 22nd. Hoping DAL plays Christmas Day.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
TT is def an improvement over Kanter.
Teague is a good value at that price.
BOS has plenty of talent and it's just about dialing it in.

Don't see any way BOS can get in on S&T as CHA has nothing left to trade money-wise.
That salary is crazy for Hayward. 4 years 130M is bananas.
Apparently Charlotte isnt stretching Batum yet, they want to see if the can work out an S&T. I think they are 9 million short without stretching Batum. Boston has two trade exceptions from Kanter and Poirier, so they may be looking for a 3rd party

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Apparently Charlotte isnt stretching Batum yet, they want to see if the can work out an S&T. I think they are 9 million short without stretching Batum. Boston has two trade exceptions from Kanter and Poirier, so they may be looking for a 3rd party
They can't legally stretch him yet but are very likely going to do so.
I mean in the end what can BOS net here? CHA isn't going to part with anything of real value to save 9m in cap each of the next two off-seasons.
And CHA removed Batum from the rotation altogether last year.
Does BOS want to eat that Batum contract themselves? If so a deal can prolly be made.
If not then CHA keeps a very disgruntled player to give up assets?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They can't legally stretch him yet but are very likely going to do so.
I mean in the end what can BOS net here? CHA isn't going to part with anything of real value to save 9m in cap each of the next two off-seasons.
And CHA removed Batum from the rotation altogether last year.
Does BOS want to eat that Batum contract themselves? If so a deal can prolly be made.
If not then CHA keeps a very disgruntled player to give up assets?
Boston gets a trade exception for whatever the difference is in salary. Thats the big grab for them in this. What works in their favor is that its far more attractive option than stretching out Batum