NBA Off-season

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They can't legally stretch him yet but are very likely going to do so.
I mean in the end what can BOS net here? CHA isn't going to part with anything of real value to save 9m in cap each of the next two off-seasons.
And CHA removed Batum from the rotation altogether last year.
Does BOS want to eat that Batum contract themselves? If so a deal can prolly be made.
If not then CHA keeps a very disgruntled player to give up assets?
Taking Batum is a possibility if they want to preserve a 27 million roster spot. Could be a valuable trade chip at the deadline

If its a S&T, my guess would be Rozier.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Looks like Marc Gasol is going back to the Lakers.

I was about to point out that Pau Gasol, not Marc Gasol was a Laker, but you know what, Marc was a thrown in for his brother :laugh:

Never played for the Lakers, but a Laker nonetheless

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Also...Markieff Morris back to LA

I know this will probably just rile people up due to the number of vets willing to sign for less to play in LA, but it's amazing how this team was viewed as shallow after trading for Davis and how deep they are right now

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I know this will probably just rile people up due to the number of vets willing to sign for less to play in LA, but it's amazing how this team was viewed as shallow after trading for Davis and how deep they are right now
If you have a legitimate shot at winning the championship, there will always be vets willing to come for the vet min

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

I was frankly more shocked Rondo and Avery Bradley ran away then that they were able to get some guys on vet mins. Rondo, Bradley and Dwight all actually played key roles last year.
Def agree with the team has had time to become deeper after trading the depth for AD.
Marc Gasol is a great get on that deal for sure.
Lakers are absolutely the title favorite with only the rest-shortened off-season any issue worth watching.
They frankly don't even need to go all out and be a 1 seed.
They just can't be last year's Clippers and sleep walk all year thinking they can turn it on in the playoffs.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I was about to point out that Pau Gasol, not Marc Gasol was a Laker, but you know what, Marc was a thrown in for his brother :laugh:

Never played for the Lakers, but a Laker nonetheless
Yp. Marc was actually drafted by the Lakers then traded to MEM FOR PAU such a crazy trade.
But yea Pau is Lakers royalty as Kobe's best friend and stays involved to this day.
Marc gets to move his family their to hang with Pau and the Bryants.
Pretty cool honestly.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Yp. Marc was actually drafted by the Lakers then traded to MEM FOR PAU such a crazy trade.
But yea Pau is Lakers royalty as Kobe's best friend and stays involved to this day.
Marc gets to move his family their to hang with Pau and the Bryants.
Pretty cool honestly.

It's funny how everyone was so pissed that Pau Gasol was traded to LA for Kwame Brown, some filler players and two first round draft picks. Well...considering that Memphis was gonna lose Pau for nothing once his contract was up, they made out real good

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It's funny how everyone was so pissed that Pau Gasol was traded to LA for Kwame Brown, some filler players and two first round draft picks. Well...considering that Memphis was gonna lose Pau for nothing once his contract was up, they made out real good
They basically traded him because they didn't wanna pay him. The owner wanted as cheap of a roster as possible.
But the GM who traded him hasn't worked in the league since.
It was a poor trade as Pau was the organizations leader in basically every category at the time and I think still a few now.
But they wanted to get cheaper and younger and did that.
The grindhouse team was fun and tough as nails if not ever great.

Lakers fans cry about the nixed CP3 deal but they came out alright with Shaq, then Pau and of course Kobe.
Lakers haven't drafted a true star in a very long time.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So I guess Boston and Charlotte are in discussions now for an S&T. Boston hoping to get a 30 million TPE. Looking for a 3rd team to take Batum's contract

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Also seeing Ainge was looking around at what teams would give up for Turner if they did the Indy S&T. Guess they werent very high on him. Ill say this, if they can pull off this S&T, id take Tristan Thompson and a 30 million dollar TPE over Turner and McDermott anyday

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Half season schedule release coming Dec 1 apparently.

I wonder if they end up keeping that habit to appease TV. Easy to project out great games for TV when you have 15-20 games of evidence.

Mavs released some very cool jersey schemes for the first time in what feels like forever.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Boston just completed the S&T with Charlotte. They are sending two unprotected 2nd's and getting back a top 55 protected 2nd's. Charlotte is waiving and stretching Nick Batum. Boston creates a 27.9 million trade exception.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Boston just completed the S&T with Charlotte. They are sending two unprotected 2nd's and getting back a top 55 protected 2nd's. Charlotte is waiving and stretching Nick Batum. Boston creates a 27.9 million trade exception.
Still such a weird move.
Not sure why BOS wanted to buy that trade exception.
It can't be combined with any outgoing player and you just burned two 2nds which would be the easiest thing to combine it with for a salary dump player.
Ainge does some weird things at times that turn up aces so maybe this is one of those.
Would BOS wanna trade off a 1st for Harrison Barnes or someone like that?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Still such a weird move.
It can't be combined with any outgoing player and you just burned two 2nds which would be the easiest thing to combine it with for a salary dump player.
Ainge does some weird things at times that turn up aces so maybe this is one of those.

I think trade exceptions are over rated. How often are deals done that couldn't happen without them?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Still such a weird move.
They can use players, but they just can't use players to match salaries. If they wanted to use a young player in a deal, they could. However it won't effect the amount of of salary they can take back.

No one knows for sure what happened with Indy. However there is alot of scuttlebutt out there that Ainge wasnt that high on Turner. There were some reports that he had already started making calls about what he could get for Turner. For them I do think the Indy S&T was preferable. However when that fell through, I think it was important for them to hold on to that salary slot.

Where this deal is probably a better outcome is that it got them out of the tax. That enable to to use the non taxpayer to bring in Thompson. I think its most likely they use the exception after the season

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Still such a weird move.
Funny you say Barnes because thats exactly who I zeroed in on. There are sexier names that have been thrown around like Aaron Gordon and Rudy Goebert, but I think Barnes is the move to make. Such a perfect fit on our roster. Can switch on anyone on the court. Can man up on wings and stretch 4's. Can create his own offense or eat off of Tatum, Brown and Walker. Just fits the team so well.

Also his salary decreases every year. Next year his $ is down to 20. 18 the year after. If we use the exception to trade for him, we are still able to split it and use 7milish to trade for a role player. You can still get a decent 7th, 8th man for that.

For a 1st, Id make that deal. May look steep on paper, but we have used enough of them that we have enough cheap players on the roster. I think Barnes is well worth that price

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think trade exceptions are over rated. How often are deals done that couldn't happen without them?
Id bet almost anything Ainge uses this. Its just below a max salary slot. I think he will be willing to move frp's to get a deal done. We have had drafted 4 total the last two years, so they really dont have much need for them. He can also add players to a trade, it just wont increase the amount of $ he can take back

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Funny you say Barnes because thats exactly who I zeroed in on. There are sexier names that have been thrown around like Aaron Gordon and Rudy Goebert, but I think Barnes is the move to make. Such a perfect fit on our roster. Can switch on anyone on the court. Can man up on wings and stretch 4's. Can create his own offense or eat off of Tatum, Brown and Walker. Just fits the team so well.

Also his salary decreases every year. Next year his $ is down to 20. 18 the year after. If we use the exception to trade for him, we are still able to split it and use 7milish to trade for a role player. You can still get a decent 7th, 8th man for that.

For a 1st, Id make that deal. May look steep on paper, but we have used enough of them that we have enough cheap players on the roster. I think Barnes is well worth that price
Yea I think realistically HB is about as good of a player as is really available without parting with a day 1 rotation guy.
HB is one of the best dudes on the planet (no lie) but Dallas fans were very happy to trade him along anyway because it can be maddening watching him dribble and he is a black hole the ball disappears to once in his hands.
But he can defend and score. He'd be a really good 4th or 5th best player as of course he was in GS.

Gobert is worth a lot more than a single R1 unless it is very high. He's simply an elite rebounder/defender.
He'd be very sexy in Dallas where Luka got him free points and he cleaned up much of the terrible defense around him.
Gordon is probably worth a couple 1sts minimum.

I'd actually like Myles Turner back in Dallas. He's a good dude and local kid. Big who can do enough of everything to keep rotation minutes.But once Dallas unlocked KP at the 5 that starting spot was pretty set. The offense went bananas.
They really need a very high rebounding/defending 4.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yea I think realistically HB is about as good of a player as is really available without parting with a day 1 rotation guy.
HB is one of the best dudes on the planet (no lie) but Dallas fans were very happy to trade him along anyway because it can be maddening watching him dribble and he is a black hole the ball disappears to once in his hands.
But he can defend and score. He'd be a really good 4th or 5th best player as of course he was in GS.

Gobert is worth a lot more than a single R1 unless it is very high. He's simply an elite rebounder/defender.
He'd be very sexy in Dallas where Luka got him free points and he cleaned up much of the terrible defense around him.
Gordon is probably worth a couple 1sts minimum.

I'd actually like Myles Turner back in Dallas. He's a good dude and local kid. Big who can do enough of everything to keep rotation minutes.But once Dallas unlocked KP at the 5 that starting spot was pretty set. The offense went bananas.
They really need a very high rebounding/defending 4.
Ya, Im pretty high on Turner which is it was frustrating and perplexing to read that Ainge may not have valued him.

As for the exception, I don't see them using it until the season is over. I think they will try and stay out of the tax for the league year, and there will likely be more opportunities to use it in the offseason. However if something interesting pops up during the season around the trade deadline, Ainge could pull the trigger. I dont think Ainge will be as conservative as he has been the last few years in dealing frps. Barnes is still gonna be a guy Ill probably keep circling back to because of fit and the ability to still split the exception (20m/7.5ishM)