NBA Offseason Thread

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know where there’s a will, there’s a way, but I don’t see how the Lakers can make a trade for Kyrie or Durant feasibly work?

They have no first round picks until 2027 (or 2028?), no tradable talent outside of Davis that actually moves the needle, et cetera.

As a Celts fan, would you entertain the idea of packaging Brown and some picks for Durant? I’d be tempted to.
I wouldn't. I think you are starting seeing diminishing returns from Durant, and that first round series makes me think that his could already entering his decline. If it was coming his GS tenure at 31, then definitely. On top of that Brown is a non max contract, so we would need more money going out, so you lose another key piece. Brown, Smart and a bunch of picks is too much for what I think Durant is going to turn into

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know where there’s a will, there’s a way, but I don’t see how the Lakers can make a trade for Kyrie or Durant feasibly work?

They have no first round picks until 2027 (or 2028?), no tradable talent outside of Davis that actually moves the needle, et cetera.

As a Celts fan, would you entertain the idea of packaging Brown and some picks for Durant? I’d be tempted to.
I think they could do Kyrie, his value is so low they may even be able to offload Westbrook

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I wouldn't. I think you are starting seeing diminishing returns from Durant, and that first round series makes me think that his could already entering his decline. If it was coming his GS tenure at 31, then definitely. On top of that Brown is a non max contract, so we would need more money going out, so you lose another key piece. Brown, Smart and a bunch of picks is too much for what I think Durant is going to turn into

Can not co-sign that one, KD is not diminishing IMO.
He def needs a team around him with some semblance of organization and a PG who can play but KD is the perfect player for this era.
He can shoot it til he dies.
He averaged 30, 7.5, 6.5
He won NBA titles averaging 26,6,6.

Brooklyn was just a dysfunctional team. Kyrie corrodes from within as any Celts fan learned.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Latest stuff and takes:

KD to BOS rumors picking up steam. This makes sense as I think KD would prefer to stay East. And BOS has the riches to trade for KD but still be the NBA title favorite. Celts fans won't love cost but would quickly adjust.
Also makes sense because BRK isn't letting PHX bid unopposed. PHX has a harder path to KD but it can be done.
Ironically the team that makes the most sense is NYK but BRK isn't trading him in the City like that. Still it has to sting to watch NYK trade off 5 or 6 R1s for Mitchell and get a paltry draft pick return on KD if you are BRK.

I respect GSW as much as any org. They are cohesive, plan well in advance to stay ahead of the game and innovative in both development and team building.
All that said, going to be interesting to see how they handle Wiggins/Poole.
Rumors are they favor Poole and I'd really question that thought process.
Poole is much more Monta Ellis and Wiggins is far more rare as an elite glue guy now that his skill has caught up to his athleticism.

Collin Sexton sitch is kinda weird. Guessing he has to sign QO and wait a year to get paid. Def worth more than 13M a year so can see why he refused the 3 years and 40M from CLE.
Wouldn't at all mind my Mavs getting involved at trade deadline for him.

Not sure there's anything there with Russ and/or Kyrie. Think both guys have to play it out this year.
Lakers should prolly just buy Russ out. That was simply a terrible, terrible trade and they should eat the L and move on IMO.
WAS rebuilt Russ value and flipped him like a renovation magnate. Chef's kiss on that work.

Lakers situation is just tough. AD was a top 3 player in the bubble but he doesn't seem to love bball like that to be top 5 longer term. And injuries can rob him of even top 30 seasons.
Trying to make him a LeBron successor is very likely to fail and badly. You'd really love to swap him for Ingram, Lonzo and all those picks if you could.
But no one should feel sorry for anyone with LeBron who remains a top 5 player.
Just not sure about making former agents GMs.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Latest stuff and takes:

KD to BOS rumors picking up steam. This makes sense as I think KD would prefer to stay East. And BOS has the riches to trade for KD but still be the NBA title favorite. Celts fans won't love cost but would quickly adjust.
Also makes sense because BRK isn't letting PHX bid unopposed. PHX has a harder path to KD but it can be done.
Ironically the team that makes the most sense is NYK but BRK isn't trading him in the City like that. Still it has to sting to watch NYK trade off 5 or 6 R1s for Mitchell and get a paltry draft pick return on KD if you are BRK.

I respect GSW as much as any org. They are cohesive, plan well in advance to stay ahead of the game and innovative in both development and team building.
Poole is much more Monta Ellis and Wiggins is far more rare as an elite glue guy now that his skill has caught up to his athleticism.

Collin Sexton sitch is kinda weird. Guessing he has to sign QO and wait a year to get paid. Def worth more than 13M a year so can see why he refused the 3 years and 40M from CLE.

Not sure there's anything there with Russ and/or Kyrie. Think both guys have to play it out this year.
Lakers should prolly just buy Russ out. That was simply a terrible, terrible trade and they should eat the L and move on IMO.
WAS rebuilt Russ value and flipped him like a renovation magnate. Chef's kiss on that work.

Lakers situation is just tough. AD was a top 3 player in the bubble but he doesn't seem to love bball like that to be top 5 longer term. And injuries can rob him of even top 30 seasons.
Trying to make him a LeBron successor is very likely to fail and badly. You'd really love to swap him for Ingram, Lonzo and all those picks if you could.
A big caveat to me is does Boston feel Brown wont resign. If you are confident he does, you stand pat imo. From what I saw Boston offered Brown, White and a pick. Brooklyn wants Smart and Boston wont offer that. They dont have many more assets to raise the pot.

Ill be hopeful if they make the deal, but Im not expecting to win the trade. Most Boston fans are very skeptical of this after watching Durant in the first round

phildadon86

Reaction score
Latest stuff and takes:

Durant is going to Toronto.

I honestly think that is going to happen bias aside. Toronto just has all of the pieces to make it happen and keep the team good around him.

phildadon86

Reaction score
A big caveat to me is does Boston feel Brown wont resign. If you are confident he does, you stand pat imo. From what I saw Boston offered Brown, White and a pick. Brooklyn wants Smart and Boston wont offer that. They dont have many more assets to raise the pot.

Ill be hopeful if they make the deal, but Im not expecting to win the trade. Most Boston fans are very skeptical of this after watching Durant in the first round
Yeah. The only team with the assets is Toronto. Its a matter of IF they want to make it happen.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I honestly think that is going to happen bias aside. Toronto just has all of the pieces to make it happen and keep the team good around him.
They arent giving up Barnes. And if if they do they have to trade Siakam. After that, that team is maybe a 3rd seed, but probably a 4th. Boston, Miami and Milwaukee would still be better

phildadon86

Reaction score
They arent giving up Barnes. And if if they do they have to trade Siakam. After that, that team is maybe a 3rd seed, but probably a 4th. Boston, Miami and Milwaukee would still be better
I saw a potential trade involving OG, Trent, Precious, and like 5 first round picks. Which I think Brooklyn would be stupid to turn down.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Understood.
I have been trying to steal Smart since he was drafted.
He's a local kid and I've been high school gyms with him.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I saw a potential trade involving OG, Trent, Precious, and like 5 first round picks. Which I think Brooklyn would be stupid to turn down.
That looks like a Fansided trade. Brooklyn isnt taking anything that doesnt include Barnes. Brooklyn isn't taking a deal that doesnt bring a star calilber player back.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Good call and I probably should have mentioned them as an option.
I basically felt TOR was far enough away that they don't want to commit the resources (Barnes plus 1sts and filler for salary match) that would be required.
Feel like they'd rather go slow and build them push all in for KD.

BOS/PHX are trying to win it all next year and feel KD would put them in driver's seat.
My guess is that's where the biggest packages comes from.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That looks like a Fansided trade. Brooklyn isnt taking anything that doesnt include Barnes. Brooklyn isn't taking a deal that doesnt bring a star calilber player back.
Yup. BRK has to win some now because they already gave up their own picks.
They want cheap, quality players to reduce tax bill but land in a play-in area at worst.
They do not want to tank.
They also want the biggest haul in history --which doesn't mean they get it.

Interesting stuff.
Still think KD is the best available player overall and a true needle mover.
Especially if a team can win without him on back to backs and such to let him hit the playoffs at 100%.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Then they arent getting what they want. No one has the assets toronto does. Just my opinion

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Then they arent getting what they want. No one has the assets toronto does. Just my opinion
Alot of teams have the assets Toronto does. None of what you mentioned in that trade is really worthwhile. OG, Trent and Precious are all roles players on good teams. OG is probably a good 4th starter on a contender at best. Barnes is there only real centerpiece in a trade, and they arent willing to give that up

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yup. BRK has to win some now because they already gave up their own picks.
They want cheap, quality players to reduce tax bill but land in a play-in area at worst.
They do not want to tank.
They also want the biggest haul in history --which doesn't mean they get it.

Interesting stuff.
Still think KD is the best available player overall and a true needle mover.
Especially if a team can win without him on back to backs and such to let him hit the playoffs at 100%.
I do wonder if there is truth to Durant requesting a trade as a waynto force Brooklyn to trade Irving

phildadon86

Reaction score
Alot of teams have the assets Toronto does. None of what you mentioned in that trade is really worthwhile. OG, Trent and Precious are all roles players on good teams. OG is probably a good 4th starter on a contender at best. Barnes is there only real centerpiece in a trade, and they arent willing to give that up
Siakam could be part of it as well. I meant draft assets btw.