NBA Offseason

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I could see the Celtics moving Rozier. They can retain Smart in this market sub 10mil. Rozier has one more year left on his contract and would be more expensive to retain. He will also minutes and touches once Hayward comes back.

Im not sure what his trade value is, but this offseason would be selling high
The Celtics aren't retaining Smart for sub 10m.
The Mavs would easily pay him a max deal.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
76ers arent trading Embiid.

They have decent stockpile of picks. I could see them giving some first picks (including the Lakers pick) with Fultz and Saric
Doesn't really work for cap math. They'd have to give up all that plus renounce rights to Redick who was arguably their best player this year and especially during the playoffs.
That'd make it a few high picks, Fultz, Saric and Redick gone for Kawhi....

A trade that would work:
PHI sends Ben Simmons and Markelle Fultz and a protected 1st to SAS.
SAS sends Kawhi, DMurray plus a cheap shooter to PHI.

Both teams would grit their teeth but I think that makes PHI as good as anyone in the East.
SAS likely keeps Pop in the building with enough tools to remain a 50 win team as GSW starts to age.

Philly with Kawhi and Embiid with all those floor spacers would be scary good. Redick still around to score and plenty youth to develop with picks coming.

OR an out of box idea that might work is offer SAS a couple 1st round picks for Pop who may be ready to move on from SAS and a new challenge as his team aged and his wife passed.
SAS could probably then keep Kawhi happy and add a lot of young talent to a badly aging roster.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Fish has been talking about Mavs pursuing George.

Thoughts Mavs fans?
Don't think it's a remotely realistic option.

PG either stays in OKC for biggest money or looks to join LeBron is my guess.
Think he'd love to be a Laker but I just don't see how that would come together for him.
Lakers have so much young talent they want to retain or at least trade. Do they really want a 29 year old PG13 at max dollars signed through age 33?

Lakers really only make sense to me if they also get LeBron and then re-mix that entire roster.

I think Mavs biggest targets are both Dallas area young guys: Julius Randle and Marcus Smart with them heavily favoring Smart.
a lineup of
DSJ
Smart
Matthews
HBarnes
top 4 pick makes a lot of sense and would appear to be pretty close to making the playoffs.

John813

Reaction score
Curious how Riley handles the Heat this offseason.
1. Whitesides future?
2. Can guys like Bam, Richardson and Winslow continue to improve?
3. Can he trust Waiters and his spotty health?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Celtics aren't retaining Smart for sub 10m.
The Mavs would easily pay him a max deal.
Sub 10 might be a bit optimistic, but I don't think Smart is a max guy. I think he would be a good fit in Dallas though. He is best with the ball in his hands offensively, but he is still playable in a backcourt with DJS off the ball. He is what I call a 30/15 guy. He will give 30 minutes off great defense at 3 different positions and 15 minutes capably running your offense

I think Ainge will look to lock him up. I think at the beginning of the year they were going to let him test FA and give Rozier a look as the 3rd guard. Over the last few months Rozier has likely priced himself out. Rozier also wants to eventually be a full time starter, whereas Smart is happy in a role as a sub. Smart gets 30 minutes a game as a 6th anyways

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Out of these 4 players....

Dame Lillard
CJ McCollum
Demarr Derozen
Kyle Lowery

Who is the most likely to be traded

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Curious how Riley handles the Heat this offseason.
1. Whitesides future?
2. Can guys like Bam, Richardson and Winslow continue to improve?
3. Can he trust Waiters and his spotty health?
Do they still have cap space?

John813

Reaction score
Do they still have cap space?
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/miami-heat/cap/2018/

-$19 million @ 120mil for the 2018-19 season. Luxury threshold at 123m.

Freaking Tyler Johnson salary is over 19mil this year thanks to Pat matching the Nets poison contract.

I hope they move on from Whiteside somehow as I doubt he can play to his potential down here. Think they are stuck with TJ.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Sub 10 might be a bit optimistic, but I don't think Smart is a max guy. I think he would be a good fit in Dallas though. He is best with the ball in his hands offensively, but he is still playable in a backcourt with DJS off the ball. He is what I call a 30/15 guy. He will give 30 minutes off great defense at 3 different positions and 15 minutes capably running your offense

I think Ainge will look to lock him up. I think at the beginning of the year they were going to let him test FA and give Rozier a look as the 3rd guard. Over the last few months Rozier has likely priced himself out. Rozier also wants to eventually be a full time starter, whereas Smart is happy in a role as a sub. Smart gets 30 minutes a game as a 6th anyways
Ultimately, players hit free agency and get paid well over actual value because there's not enough good players to go around.
Smart is a flawed player with a limited offensive game (10ppg, 5 apg) that shoots only 30% from 3. But he is physically tough as nails and loves to defend.
He's gonna get paid for what he can be the next 4 years moreso than what he has been the past couple.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What I want this offseason is a road trip reality show with Nick Young and JR Smith

You would watch that

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Danny Green saying Kawhi has personally told him he wants to stay in San Antonio.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We have two key players that are free agents. Baynes and Smart. Baynes may have played himself into an MLE type deal which I dont think Boston will offer. Smarts FA is going to be an interesting watch.

If Boston intends on keeping one of Smart or Rozier long term, Rozier will ultimately be more expensive. Rozier is also likely to lose touches and playing with Irving and Hayward coming back. With his role, that shouldnt effect Smart much, especially considering Stevens will try and stagger his scorers minutes. With the ability to defend three positions, Smart isnt getting fewer than 25 minutes a game, and probably close to 30

A driving force in whatever we do, is the fact that they want to stay out of the tax before resigning Irving which I believe they do next offseason. I dont know what they can give Smart while staying out of the tax. They should be in good shape with one of there maxes being a Baby Max and much of there roster on rookie scales.

Personally what I would do is lock down Smart, and try and package Rozier with the Kings 2019 pick ( which is only first overall protected) to get into position in this draft to get a big like Jackson or Bamba. Orlando at 6 seems like the best fit, but its questionable that that would land us Jackson or Bamba. The team above Orlando I dont see making that deal in THIS draft even if they wind up with a higher pick next year. Before the lottery, Pheonix was a team I thought might do that deal. But that was dead after they won the lotto

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lot of rumors probably going to swirl around the Celtics, but I think it will be a quiet offseason. So far I have heard rumors that we going to he looking to trade into the high lottery for Bamba, and Ive heard rumors they are afraid Kyrie will leave for NY after 2019.

Fish has been pitching Brown and the Sac pick for #5, which just shows how out of touch he is.

If Im Boston, I'm throwing the Sac pick, the future Grizzlies pick ( unprotected in 2021 of it doesnt convey) Rozier, and an additional first on the table and seeing if that can get me in the top 2 of this draft. If not, I go into 2019 with whats on hand

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Who says he doesn't want to be there? Those reports were proven wrong days later by Kawhi himself. He just wants to be 100% before going back on the court. It's Pop that wants him gone. If there is no good trade out there then Pop will have to work things out with Kawhi like he did with LaMarcus Aldridge the year before.

If Pop doesn't want him on the team it doesn't matter what the player wants.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Man, the thought of Doncic playing pick and roll or pick and pop with Markannen is salivating. Too bad it won't happen. Insanely jealous of whomever lands him.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Some predictions:

Lebron and Paul are on the same team in 2019. My guess is Houston

Kawhi signs a Super Max with the Spurs.

George goes to Philadelphia.

At least one of Dame. McCollum, Derozen, Lowery, Beal get traded

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Some predictions:

If no George/Lebron for Lakers, then would mean DCousins to Lakers. That's fine with me. A resigned Randle and Cousins.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Some predictions:

This hypothetical team would beat the GSW, imo. The Warriors are amazing, but each year stacks on itself and makes it harder to win, historically. Your mock HOU team knocks them out. Hell, they took GSW to 7, and didn't have Paul for game 7

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This hypothetical team would beat the GSW, imo. The Warriors are amazing, but each year stacks on itself and makes it harder to win, historically. Your mock HOU team knocks them out. Hell, they took GSW to 7, and didn't have Paul for game 7
Might not be Houston. Paul is a FA