NBA Offseason

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
If he is really eyeing LA this really hurts the Spurs. Teams wont offer a worthy package if they think he is bolting in 2019.

I wonder what LA would give up for him. If Im LA id try like hell to keep Ingram off the table. I would see if I could get him for a package centered around Kuzma and Ball. If they get Kawhi in tow, they are much better positioned for Lebron

We aren't trading for Kawhi, when he will be a free agent in 2019. Lakers top targets are Lebron and George.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I'm not sold on any big names going to the Lakers via trade or FA. I'd like to see what the Lakers can do if they resign Randle with the rest of the youth improving quickly. I think that team should make the playoffs next season, i am unsure if it's a 8 or a 5 or some between. What would really be nice is if the Lakers drafted a center who could play and make a impact on day one.

Lakers are looking for shooters and players that are versatile, with their picks (especially at #25). According to Jessie Buss.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
If the FO is thinking Hart is not a starter i wouldn't might a SG.

Who said he wasn't? I think they just want more shooters on the team to surround Lebron, etc. As for centers btw, Zubac has more muscle mass from what I've seen in his workouts. He looks like he is on the Randle strength program from last year, lol.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Who said he wasn't? I think they just want more shooters on the team to surround Lebron, etc. As for centers btw, Zubac has more muscle mass from what I've seen in his workouts. He looks like he is on the Randle strength program from last year, lol.
Lebron is a great basketball player. I never liked Lebron though. If the Lakers sign him i will cheer for him and hope he can bring the title back to LA, but if he fails i will feel like we missed on a great opportunity in the building this team. If they are going to sign Lebron i would agree on drafting a shooter.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I still think the Lakers best bet is to use cap space on veteran 1 year deal guys similar to what the 76ers did with JJ Reddick. Then let the cap space roll over into 2019, where it should be easier to clear Deng. I think two quality veteran starters gets that team a lower seed in the playoffs and makes there younger players more appealing to play with
Magic has a lot of options but right now I'd be focusing on LBJ of course then if that fails (as expected) a younger core that can grow long term into something special.
I would have zero interest in PG-13 unless LBJ came.
Of course you want Kawhi as well if that is real but I don't see anything LAL has to trade to the Spurs.

Negative Lakers have is timing. They have to renounce guys to have max slots. Randle will either be kept and paid big money or he's gone, likely for nothing in return.

A lot of 1 year deals would give them tons of flexibility.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
No more ridiculous than saying "It would be virtually impossible to be better than the 3rd best team in the West".
that is common sense.
GSW are going to be better than anyone in the West.
VERY unlikely anyone unseats HOU for 2nd.
even basketball novices understand this.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
We aren't trading for Kawhi, when he will be a free agent in 2019. Lakers top targets are Lebron and George.
bro you gotta either catch up to reality or post with less conviction.
you are posting pure nonsense.

kawhi will either be traded or he will re-sign in SAS and be traded.
the spurs aren't going to keep him and let him walk for nothing.

you are clearly getting too much info from lakers homers.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Interesting trade possibility for the Mavs. Memphis is apparently dangling the #4 pick as incentive to take on the remaining two years of Chandler Parson's contract.

If Im Dallas im really looking into this. That gives me a nice 4 man young foundation with DSJ and Barnes. Its still very much up in the air on who will be available, but two of Bagely, Porter, Bamba and Jackson could set you guys up for a very bright future

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Interesting trade possibility for the Mavs. Memphis is apparently dangling the #4 pick as incentive to take on the remaining two years of Chandler Parson's contract.

If Im Dallas im really looking into this. That gives me a nice 4 man young foundation with DSJ and Barnes. Its still very much up in the air on who will be available, but two of Bagely, Porter, Bamba and Jackson could set you guys up for a very bright future
Mark Cuban LOVES Chandler Parsons and plans to hire him at the end of his career in the DAL front office.
Dallas would take on his money for the 4# pick provided the rest of the deal was to their liking.

BUT, Dirk thinks Parsons is a lazy bum. That's why he isn't in Dallas now.
Parsons was supposed to shadow Dirk but instead spent his time in night clubs and no showed those early workouts.
He'd show up to the facility and find a hidey hole and sleep!!!!

So Dallas is only signing off on this if the trade is dead-weight(Parsons) for cap space and 4.
Talk of sending a quality player back makes nearly zero sense.
DAL loves Wes Matthews in the locker room. He works hard as anyone.
Setting an example for these young guys is huge. So that's probably out.
Another name mentioned is Dwight Powell but his improved shot has him positioned to become the type of spread the floor 5 everyone needs now.
I think he has real value in trade.

I do think DAL would like Doncic and Bamba.
PG: DSJ
SG: Doncic
SF: Barnes
PF: Dirk/Powell
C: Bamba

Is interesting and would be fun to watch.

BUT rumors are DAL also would move down if the right vets are available, they tried this tanking thing and hate it.
No one in DAL watches losers on TV or in the stadium.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mark Cuban LOVES Chandler Parsons and plans to hire him at the end of his career in the DAL front office.
Dallas would take on his money for the 4# pick provided the rest of the deal was to their liking.

BUT, Dirk thinks Parsons is a lazy bum. That's why he isn't in Dallas now.
Parsons was supposed to shadow Dirk but instead spent his time in night clubs and no showed those early workouts.
He'd show up to the facility and find a hidey hole and sleep!!!!

So Dallas is only signing off on this if the trade is dead-weight(Parsons) for cap space and 4.
Talk of sending a quality player back makes nearly zero sense.
DAL loves Wes Matthews in the locker room. He works hard as anyone.
Setting an example for these young guys is huge. So that's probably out.
Another name mentioned is Dwight Powell but his improved shot has him positioned to become the type of spread the floor 5 everyone needs now.
I think he has real value in trade.

I do think DAL would like Doncic and Bamba.
PG: DSJ
SG: Doncic
SF: Barnes
PF: Dirk/Powell
C: Bamba

Is interesting and would be fun to watch.

BUT rumors are DAL also would move down if the right vets are available, they tried this tanking thing and hate it.
No one in DAL watches losers on TV or in the stadium.
I wouldnt send much back to Memphis in that trade. Maybe some seconds or deep rotation players. If Dallas is willing to absorb the contract,they did there part

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
At what point does it stop becoming a sport? You have more and more guys refusing to play for certain teams, draft picks refusing to turn over medical histories to teams they don't like. Free agents joining up and playing wherever they want. Singing 2 and 3 year deals so they can hop around the league with their buddies.

To me sports is suppose to be about competition / competitiveness that all goes out the window when teams are not on an even playing field.

It's not like these guys aren't making money with small market teams, either. Carmelo is a perfect example of this. He was far more popular when he was in Denver than after he left.

To me the NBA needs some sort of franchise tag to help maintain a certain level of fairness in the league. Otherwise it is just the same few teams dominating a bunch of rec league teams that no one wants to watch.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
At what point does it stop becoming a sport? You have more and more guys refusing to play for certain teams, draft picks refusing to turn over medical histories to teams they don't like. Free agents joining up and playing wherever they want. Singing 2 and 3 year deals so they can hop around the league with their buddies.

To me sports is suppose to be about competition / competitiveness that all goes out the window when teams are not on an even playing field.

It's not like these guys aren't making money with small market teams, either. Carmelo is a perfect example of this. He was far more popular when he was in Denver than after he left.

To me the NBA needs some sort of franchise tag to help maintain a certain level of fairness in the league. Otherwise it is just the same few teams dominating a bunch of rec league teams that no one wants to watch.
I suspect you will begin to see changes.

Ideas I have seen or thought of:
1. franchise tag --- will be tough sell but in conjunction with removing max salary you might get it.
2. remove max salary slot for player with 5+ years experience with 1 team.
3. set hard cap at 20M over cap where you can not even re-sign your own guys with birds rights.
4. any team that is 20M over the cap forfeits all drafts picks their own and any accumulated via trade for that season.
5. a tank tax. any team that finished with fewer than 25 wins in the 82 game season must pay 1 million per game below 25 wins.
6. relegation system with the developmental league. bottom team or two drop to developmental league and lose NBA shares; replaced by top dev teams. --this seems radical but keep in mind how much more valuable developmental teams would become.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Celtics could be in on Chandler Parsons salary dump, but would need another team to absorb his contract. I think Pheonix would be a good match with us sending them Rozier and 27 to take on Parsons deal.

For the Grizzlies, I would give them our own 2019 pick and there choice of the Sac pick in 2019 or their own that they owe us. To me thats the most I would give up for that trade, and even that may be too much. I hate giving up value in salary dumps, but the Grizzlies do seem to have enough bidders to get some value

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Me wonders if they really are thinking about breaking up the Derozen/Lowery core

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Celtics could be in on Chandler Parsons salary dump, but would need another team to absorb his contract. I think Pheonix would be a good match with us sending them Rozier and 27 to take on Parsons deal.

For the Grizzlies, I would give them our own 2019 pick and there choice of the Sac pick in 2019 or their own that they owe us. To me thats the most I would give up for that trade, and even that may be too much. I hate giving up value in salary dumps, but the Grizzlies do seem to have enough bidders to get some value
Mavs would be in but for either Jaylon or Marcus(resigned) as key piece coming back imho.
Not as attractive to BOS then obviously.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Big Spurs fan and I'm really getting fed up with the way Leonard is jerking around the team with his trade demand. Him and his campaign need to grow up. Being upset how the Spurs handled his injury, the same Spurs team he knows protects their players coming back from injury more than any other team, just doesn't make sense. He's obviously getting bad advice. Kudos to Tony Parker for being a vet and trying to urge him back. At this point in don't want Leonard back. Trade him to Toronto.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mavs would be in but for either Jaylon or Marcus(resigned) as key piece coming back imho.
I don't think Boston would put Jaylon on the table, but the idea of a sign and trade with Smart has been floated around. However with our lack of 2018 draft capital, I don't know if Dallas and Boston are good dancing partners. Unless somehow a 3rd team is involved and takes Rozier, while giving Dallas a more current asset. We could offer up both the Sac pick and Grizzlies pick (which could be unprotected in 2021). But I dont think Dallas wants to play that long a game

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
For kicks and gigs, here is an offer I would make...

Boston gets: #5 from Dallas

NY gets: Rozier, Clippers 2018 pick, #27

Dallas gets: #9, Sacramento pick in 2018(Currently #1 protected) if that pick goes #1 then Dallas gets Grizzlies pick( top 8 protected in 2019 and 20. Unprotected in 2021)

I think that would be good value for Dallas. You lose talent going from 5 to 9, but you also add a potential top 5 selection next year. The problem with Bostons top pick assets though is that they somewhat unstable. Alot of people think that Grizzlies pick is more valuable then the Sac pick because it could become unprotected when the Grizzlies could be very bad. But thats three years from now.

For NY it gives them a quality point guard to give Porzingis a more immediate chance at winning and getting into the playoffs.

For us it us, it makes use of picks that we may not have room for, and in Bamba, or Jackson it adds the last peice in our long term core. The price is high, and takes us out of making trades for star players, but I think cashing in assets for a cheap top prospect in a strong draft is the way to go