NBA Offseason

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If no George/Lebron for Lakers, then would mean DCousins to Lakers. That's fine with me. A resigned Randle and Cousins.
Im gonna back pedal a bit here, I think the 76ers are gonna be the big losers in FA. I think there are serious organizational issues there, and that will make it hard for them to lure big time FA's.

I think the Lakers would pitch George much better than Philadelphia would

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Im gonna back pedal a bit here, I think the 76ers are gonna be the big losers in FA. I think there are serious organizational issues there, and that will make it hard for them to lure big time FA's.

I think the Lakers would pitch George much better than Philadelphia would

I think Philly goes all out for James not George.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
lol. You really don't want the Lakers to sign anyone. Too funny.
Lol, see my next post.

I don't think its critical they do this year. If its not gonna happen then they can use cap space on some very good starters on 1 year deals to get them into the playoffs. If they secure that playoff birth featuring your young core, its puts them in great position in 2019 to get a Kawhi if he does intend to leave SA

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Honestly I dont know if they could pull that off. I dont think they could pull that pitch off with all thats gone on. Even with Colangelo resigning.

Well in the East, James has a much better chance getting to an NBA finals than the west. And it was Colangelos wife who was the bad seed anyways.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well in the East, James has a much better chance getting to an NBA finals than the west. And it was Colangelos wife who was the bad seed anyways.
There are still a team with no GM and pretty bad PR smear

He could always sign with Houston who was one game from beating the Warriors

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
lol. You really don't want the Lakers to sign anyone. Too funny.
I'm not sure WHY the Lakers would sign anyone to MAX.
I mean sure take your LBJ long shot (which would mean a total re-build) but after that why not simply build around this young nucleus and keep adding assets.

It would be virtually impossible to be better than the 3rd best team in the West so why settle for using those tank seasons to get to the 2nd round?

I'm not sure why LAL would want to sign PG13 on a full max long term deal. He doesn't rebound or pass very well which is rather key to the new position-less basketball stuff.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
There are still a team with no GM and pretty bad PR smear

He could always sign with Houston who was one game from beating the Warriors
The bigger thing to me was LBJ didn't talk about playing with young guys with great athleticism, he talked about thinkers of the game.
That made me think HOU was his top destination by far.
In HOU LBJ could take nights off and win.
A LBJ, Harden pick and roll would be unfair.

And I truly dislike HOU as a city so this isn't a homer take.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I'm not sure WHY the Lakers would sign anyone to MAX.
I mean sure take your LBJ long shot (which would mean a total re-build) but after that why not simply build around this young nucleus and keep adding assets.

It would be virtually impossible to be better than the 3rd best team in the West so why settle for using those tank seasons to get to the 2nd round?

I'm not sure why LAL would want to sign PG13 on a full max long term deal. He doesn't rebound or pass very well which is rather key to the new position-less basketball stuff.

So in other words, give up instead of trying, ya that's gonna go well with Magic who knows a thing or two about winning championships and what it takes to compete at the highest level.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
So in other words, give up instead of trying, ya that's gonna go well with Magic who knows a thing or two about winning championships and what it takes to compete at the highest level.
sigh... that's not at all what I said.
Lakers fans are ridiculous.
They truly are. They've had every superstar signed to LAL for the last half decade when reality is none of those guys have signed.

But again as I pointed out BEFORE the season, LAL has a decision to make.
1. Keep building up from the 20 team they were not long ago. Arrow is pointing up and last year was the best record since 2012.
2. Go after superstars in FA for quick fix turn-around.

LAL has only 5 players under contract in 2018. Those 5... Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Hart and Deng....
But they also have quality free agents in Randle, Lopez, IT.
To get 2 supermax contract slots they'd have to renounce those 3 for nothing plus move Deng-- not gonna happen without giving up lots of resources.

Obviously they will reshape the team to some extent but getting a 25 year old max guy would be more ideal than 28 year old.
GSW arent going away any time soon. I wouldn't wanna be hauling a 32 year old max player around like Deng in 3-4 years.

LAL should be able to climb back into the playoffs next year and start seasoning a young team. Position them into a top 6 in West and slowly climb that ladder.
Build up a lot of good young assets so when they do reach a top 2-3 spot in West they could move some younger guys for an elite player.

Lakers fan nonsense off-season:
1. Sign LBJ
2. Sign PG13
3. Sign Carmelo.
4. Re-sign Randle

That's just not happening.

But the Lakers could:
1. Sign 1 Max ascending free agent. I'd target Clint Capela.
2. Re-sign Randle
3. Sign IT to a 1 year deal. (either re-build his value for trade or walk away in 2019)
4. Re-sign Brook Lopez for a very reasonable rate as a bench player.

Lakers make playoffs and improve internally then look to a max player again in 2019 when there is a very rich pool of guys.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They truly are. They've had every superstar signed to LAL for the last half decade when reality is none of those guys have signed.

But again as I pointed out BEFORE the season, LAL has a decision to make.
1. Keep building up from the 20 team they were not long ago. Arrow is pointing up and last year was the best record since 2012.
2. Go after superstars in FA for quick fix turn-around.

LAL has only 5 players under contract in 2018. Those 5... Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Hart and Deng....
But they also have quality free agents in Randle, Lopez, IT.
To get 2 supermax contract slots they'd have to renounce those 3 for nothing plus move Deng-- not gonna happen without giving up lots of resources.

Obviously they will reshape the team to some extent but getting a 25 year old max guy would be more ideal than 28 year old.
GSW arent going away any time soon. I wouldn't wanna be hauling a 32 year old max player around like Deng in 3-4 years.

LAL should be able to climb back into the playoffs next year and start seasoning a young team. Position them into a top 6 in West and slowly climb that ladder.
Build up a lot of good young assets so when they do reach a top 2-3 spot in West they could move some younger guys for an elite player.

1. Sign LBJ
2. Sign PG13
3. Sign Carmelo.
4. Re-sign Randle

But the Lakers could:
1. Sign 1 Max ascending free agent. I'd target Clint Capela.
2. Re-sign Randle
3. Sign IT to a 1 year deal. (either re-build his value for trade or walk away in 2019)
4. Re-sign Brook Lopez for a very reasonable rate as a bench player.

Lakers make playoffs and improve internally then look to a max player again in 2019 when there is a very rich pool of guys.
I still think the Lakers best bet is to use cap space on veteran 1 year deal guys similar to what the 76ers did with JJ Reddick. Then let the cap space roll over into 2019, where it should be easier to clear Deng. I think two quality veteran starters gets that team a lower seed in the playoffs and makes there younger players more appealing to play with

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
@JoeKing

Rumor is Celtics made a trade offer at the deadline for Kawhi which was rejected with no counter offer made by the Spurs.

Spurs likely never had interest in dealing Kawhi

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If he is really eyeing LA this really hurts the Spurs. Teams wont offer a worthy package if they think he is bolting in 2019.

I wonder what LA would give up for him. If Im LA id try like hell to keep Ingram off the table. I would see if I could get him for a package centered around Kuzma and Ball. If they get Kawhi in tow, they are much better positioned for Lebron

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

No more ridiculous than saying "It would be virtually impossible to be better than the 3rd best team in the West".

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I'm not sold on any big names going to the Lakers via trade or FA. I'd like to see what the Lakers can do if they resign Randle with the rest of the youth improving quickly. I think that team should make the playoffs next season, i am unsure if it's a 8 or a 5 or some between. What would really be nice is if the Lakers drafted a center who could play and make a impact on day one.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
1. Sign LBJ
2. Sign PG13

3. Sign Carmelo.
4. Re-sign Randle

So we aren't signing either Lebron or George or both? I'll come back after free agency starts.