NBA season 19-20 Part 2

ghst187

Reaction score
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/30/us/nba-fans-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

200730091511-nba-virtual-fans-0725-restricted-exlarge-169.jpg

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-nba-restart-takes-fake-crowds-to-a-new-level-of-weirdness/

NBA's effort, which as CNN explains, uses a combination of artificial intelligence and a 'tap-to-cheer app' to provide some semblance of atmosphere for home viewers. Similar to the fake MLB 'Cheering at the Ballpark' announced last week, sofa-bound audiences are able to use the NBA and WNBA apps to cheer for their team at the push of a button.

Then, using Microsoft Teams' 'Together Mode', up to 300 images of fans in the NBA Orlando bubble stadium can be 'present' on 17-foot-tall screens. It's this visual crowd replacement that I find most distracting. It even reminds me of the Micheal Jordan film, Space Jam, albeit with a rather different ratio of animation versus real-world movement.

fake fans and crowd noise....are they in Seattle?

visionary

Reaction score
I'm not watching the NBA, due to restrictions here I can't explain why, suffice it to say I'll not watch another NBA game for a while, maybe forever. Which is sad, it used to be a nice diversion from the everyday grind of life...

LOL, no need to ‘explain’
BYE

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
All of this.

Plus the paid guns for hire, team hopping stuff.
It's the very worst thing about Pro sports for me.
You can have a favorite team and a hated rival---take the same core group of guys from your rival and put them on your team, so really the same team but switch jerseys, and presto....lol

I get changing teams maybe once or so, but it really makes it hard for fans to have a favorite team (and be honest with themselves) if players jump from team to team and just group up together to get a trophy.

Sorry Laker fans, but this year's Lakers are horrible in that regard. Talk about devaluing the trophy if they win.
imo of course
The opposite side to this is that this model creates a lot of net positives as well.

Players do congregate and they do "team up" to win titles but that movement on a yearly basis has made the off-season as fun as the seasons.
The game is faster and more wide open than ever and skill is shining through.
I grew up on 80s NBA where they mugged people like Jordan relentlessly.

In the end I'd rather watch massive player movements yearly than see the same teams in the finals of their conference 6-7 years in a row.

And there are guys like Dirk and Kobe that stayed in one spot 20 years.
Not every player wants to cross the country changing teams in the process.

LeBron did but for his life after basketball and for his family who wanted to live in LA.
For solely basketball purposes it was a terrible move tbh.
And if they win a title this year it will be well-deserved.
They have overhauled the entire team on the fly and from front office on down and given up on all the kids plus future picks to dominate now.
That trade-off is what you expect.

This is all modern sports now. Players will never again lack free agency options.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
The opposite side to this is that this model creates a lot of net positives as well.

Players do congregate and they do "team up" to win titles but that movement on a yearly basis has made the off-season as fun as the seasons.

In the end I'd rather watch massive player movements yearly than see the same teams in the finals of their conference 6-7 years in a row.

LeBron did but for his life after basketball and for his family who wanted to live in LA.
They have overhauled the entire team on the fly and from front office on down and given up on all the kids plus future picks to dominate now.

This is all modern sports now. Players will never again lack free agency options.

And if Lakers win it LeBron will get all the credit even though they couldn’t make playoffs last season without Davis on the roster.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Teams get a decent amount of contract control on younge elite players too. As many as 9 years

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
So it's gonna be Blazers vs Lakers in the 1st rd. I'm not expecting any cakewake for the Lakers. Hopefully i'm wrong and the Lakers sweep them.

Let's go Lakers!

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Mavs vs Clips - game 1 tonight
Monday, Aug. 17, 2020 • 9:00 PM ET
AdventHealth Arena • Orlando, FL
National TV: ESPN
Local TV: FSSW-DAL, FSPT
Radio: ESPN 103.3 FM / 1270 AM (ESP), KEIB 1150

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to think about the way the Lakers finished this part 2 of the season. I'll be cheering for the Mavs tonight and every night if/until they play the Lakers.

Last time i was in Croatia in 2006 i was partying with a few Slovenian's and they were some very cool peoples, they kept my glass full of wine all night, for all i know they might be Luka's relatives!. Let's go Mavs!

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Trail Blazers vs Lakers
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2020 • 9:00 PM ET
AdventHealth Arena • Orlando, FL
National TV: TNT
Local TV: NBCSNW, SPECSN
Radio: Rip City Radio 620, ESPN LA 710/KWKW (S)

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
How about the Orlando Magic today! Bucks were caught sleeping, Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Magic 1-0

:popcorn:

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Houston Rockets look like they got game 1 sealed up. Up 13 with 3 minutes to go.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
All you Laker haters should be getting your kicks now, Lakers cold as ice atm. I kind of seen this coming with the way the Lakers were playing during this season part 2. There's a decent chance the Lakers will get eliminated in RD1.

If i was i Laker hater i would be smiling as well, take it while you can get it.
Like i said i will be cheering for the Mavs if/until they have to play the Lakers, and that's not because i like people from Texas :laugh:, i like Luka's vision/game and hope the best from him.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Lakers haven't looked right since the restart. They have more than enough talent to right the ship, but will they do so?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Mavs easily win game 2 vs Clips
Series knotted at 1 each

Mavs were leading in game 1 when KP got ejected in a weird turn of events
Luka set an NBA scoring record for 1st playoff game with 42.

Wish I was more enthused

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
All you Laker haters should be getting your kicks now, Lakers cold as ice atm. I kind of seen this coming with the way the Lakers were playing during this season part 2. There's a decent chance the Lakers will get eliminated in RD1.

If i was i Laker hater i would be smiling as well, take it while you can get it.
Like i said i will be cheering for the Mavs if/until they have to play the Lakers, and that's not because i like people from Texas :laugh:, i like Luka's vision/game and hope the best from him.
Portland is not gonna be an easy out. I still see the Lakers, probably in 6. The Trailblazers aren't your typical 8th seed

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Impressive win last night. Tatum's got that dog in him.

Philadelphia as a franchise looks in disarray. Those Horford and Harris contracts are looking bad