NBA season 19-20 Part 2

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Well, that sucked.

Nothing like getting beat by 40+ points and having Carlisle ejected. The Mavs need Porzingis back bad.
DAL is playing with house money IMHO.
The Only 7 or 8 seed thus far to win 2 games.
East 7 seed was swept.
In a lot of ways DAL has benefited from LAC not taking them seriously enough so a 40 point win is good for that.
Hopefully get KP back for game 6 and give it a go to force game 7.

Regardless, it'll be time to immediately go to work on improving the roster in the off-season by luring in guys who now know this is a playoff team for years to come.
DAL has been great in trade mode but pretty bad in drafting (superstars every 20 years aside) and just free agency.
I'd def be poking at the teams looking to re-build or tank.
And like everyone else they'll beg Giannis for an audience.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
DAL is playing with house money IMHO.
The Only 7 or 8 seed thus far to win 2 games.
East 7 seed was swept.
In a lot of ways DAL has benefited from LAC not taking them seriously enough so a 40 point win is good for that.
Hopefully get KP back for game 6 and give it a go to force game 7.

Regardless, it'll be time to immediately go to work on improving the roster in the off-season by luring in guys who now know this is a playoff team for years to come.
DAL has been great in trade mode but pretty bad in drafting (superstars every 20 years aside) and just free agency.
I'd def be poking at the teams looking to re-build or tank.
And like everyone else they'll beg Giannis for an audience.
Fred VanVleet and Joe Harris are two names I can see fitting in well with the Mavs as far as FA's.

Another thing working in the Mavs favor is that they only really need 3rd option type guy to play with Luka and Porzingis. A big star like Lilliard or Mccullom wouldn't hurt, but all I think they need is a reliable 3rd option to get them to the next level

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Fred VanVleet and Joe Harris are two names I can see fitting in well with the Mavs as far as FA's.

Another thing working in the Mavs favor is that they only really need 3rd option type guy to play with Luka and Porzingis. A big star like Lilliard or Mccullom wouldn't hurt, but all I think they need is a reliable 3rd option to get them to the next level
Yea hear same locally about FVF but as a Mavs fan I have been very blah on free agency.
Pretty much every decent thing that ever happened to Mavs has been via trade.
Dirk and Luka were draftees but via trade on draft night.

Possible trade targets:
Draymond Green: DAL needs a ruffian who can do the little things and Green can. Does DAL have enough to get a deal done? Tough to see them pulling this on off but best case for fit. A lot may depend on how GS feels about Green and if they've tired of drama.
Julius Randle: Dallas kid the Mavs have been familiar with since 8th grade. He loves home and would likely welcome a move but his fit is far more questionable and DAL wasn't in on him as a FA. But DAL "might" reconsider as a trade option. I'd say this is pretty unlikely but far more likely than us getting them to trade us KP.
Jrue Holiday: Solid veteran PG that can shoot it which fits with Mavs. Luka and KP elevate other guys offense and Jrue is efficient. NOP is going young so this one has to be near the top of list.
Blake Griffin: This one is a messy fit but DET may be willing to actually sweeten pot to offload him and that contract. Cuban is probably not scared of cost to become a title contender. And Griffin plus Luka would be insane offense.
Buddy Hield: 2nd straight OU guy who would fit the Mavs 5 out offense like a glove. It's just outbidding other teams that could be a challenge. Philly should be offering up anything not nailed down for this guy.
Aaron Gordon: Another scoring big with lots of interest but losing luster at home. Not sure DAL has enough assets to get it done.
CJ McCollum: The prize trade target of the off-season so we'll list him but DAL realistically very short of assets required to land him. Maybe POR makes other FA moves and need sot move him.

I do think DAL will get a pretty appealing MLE guy as they have available minutes, possibly starting, on a playoff team.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Sucks KP is out injured but still good overall season and direction for Mavs.
Would be nice to steal game 6 and force this thing to go 7 games but the Mavs have accomplished what they needed to this season by making playoffs and showing fight once they got there against a title fave.

The only benefit of this weird season has been it'll be a quick turn-around.
They'll have a short, very eventful off-season then run it all back.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Celtics smoke the Raptors game 1. We match up well with them. They are a transition team and we play excellent transition defense. Hopefully today set the tone for the series

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Speaking as a non-Mavs fan, the T today on Luka was ridiculous.
As a Mavs fan Luka has to stop barking after every play.
He is a superstar but he's not a 5 year vet superstar that gets all those calls.

Mavs will go get someone to protect him this off-season and he has to just play through contact without complaining.

This is the issue with emulating Harden/LeBron lol.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Rox would have been better off tonight if Westbrook was still hurt. :(

John813

Reaction score
Not expecting to win the series but glad the Heat won game 1

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
As a Mavs fan Luka has to stop barking after every play.
He is a superstar but he's not a 5 year vet superstar that gets all those calls.

Mavs will go get someone to protect him this off-season and he has to just play through contact without complaining.

This is the issue with emulating Harden/LeBron lol.

Tristan Thompson.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Porzingas is truly a unique talent and still hasn’t played to his ceiling yet. That said, if I’m the Mavs I would be struggling with his long term worth. I don’t trust his knees.

They are in a dilemma with him. If they are proactive with him and get his knee repaired that’s likely another lost season. If he just tries to rehab and rest it will eventually tear; I’d wager good money on that.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not expecting to win the series but glad the Heat won game 1
On one hand, what they did game probably isnt sustainable. You're not going to get almost 70 from Butler/Dragon every night while holding Giannis under 20.

On the other hand, they took advantage of Giannis kryptonite (charity stripe), and that could he tone setting. I also think Miami has a much better coach. Spoelstra is one of of the best.

I also think Miami has a better playoff roster than regular season roster, especially with Dragon playing well. I dont think there is as wide a talent gap between them and Milwaukee as it would seem in the standings. Biggest concern would probably be that they are using some pretty young shooters. ut they have played well and they arent asking them to do too much

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good win tonight putting some distance between the Raptors. I dont think they have the horses to came back down 0-2.

Tatum got calls tonight in his way to 34 points on 17 shots, and Smart caught fire.

Raptors have to assess their roster if they want to return as title contenders. Siakiam is a nice player, but he isnt good enough to be a top player on a contender. He is more a 2nd or 3rd best player on a contender. Under 40% FG in the playoffs from your best player is not a champoinship ingredient.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Not watching yet, checked nba site, it looks like the heat are out to a early lead 35-25 late 1st.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Heat 2-0

@darthseinfeld Celtics might have a pretty easy road to the finals. I think the Bucs can still come back and win this series vs the Heat.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Lna.gif

Rox survive.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Heat 2-0

@darthseinfeld Celtics might have a pretty easy road to the finals. I think the Bucs can still come back and win this series vs the Heat.
Im not sleeping on Miami. I think they have the right mix of players and Spoelstra is one of the better coachs in the NBA

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Holy wow that was some good stuff yesterday.
I had zero real rooting interest so went back and forth on who I wanted to win in game, lol.

I go back and forth on MIA because in a sense I want Giannis soooo bad but in another sense know it is a 1-100 shot and it being seemingly possible would just break my heart....

2020 is the year of CP3 and Carmelo.... Old dogs can learn new tricks. My aching bones say good for them both.