Video: NBC Sports-Should Dallas Keep Dak Prescott?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
If we thought our off season could not stand more Prescott contract debate..

it will be nothing compared to this off season and using our #1 pick on maybe a QB.

Everybody has an opinion.

But somebody has to answer me this..

Who in the history of the NFL has broken their ankle with a compound fracture like Dak and returned to play professional QB?

Did they resume where they left off when they returned? If not..how long did it take to be 100%?

Alex Smith is a close case study. RGIII is another. Joe Theisman another.

While those injuries are not all equal..its the recovery from a major leg injury I want info on.

If there is little real info to go by..lets hear it.

Can we discuss this without hating? Can we talk unbiased?

This team is at a major crossroads.

If we think there is sufficient evidence Dak will be fine..then we move on with him and wait out his recovery.

But if it indicates the odds are Dak will not be the same or better than before..do we draft another QB and reset the team going forward?

Nobody has really drawn me a picture yet that is clear.

Comments and evidence boys. Not rhetoric and saliva.

Thanx.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we thought our off season could not stand more Prescott contract debate..

it will be nothing compared to this off season and using our #1 pick on maybe a QB.

Everybody has an opinion.

But somebody has to answer me this..

Who in the history of the NFL has broken their ankle with a compound fracture like Dak and returned to play professional QB?

Did they resume where they left off when they returned? If not..how long did it take to be 100%?

Alex Smith is a close case study. RGIII is another. Joe Theisman another.

While those injuries are not all equal..its the recovery from a major leg injury I want info on.

If there is little real info to go by..lets hear it.

Can we discuss this without hating? Can we talk unbiased?

This team is at a major crossroads.

If we think there is sufficient evidence Dak will be fine..then we move on with him and wait out his recovery.

But if it indicates the odds are Dak will not be the same or better than before..do we draft another QB and reset the team going forward?

Nobody has really drawn me a picture yet that is clear.

Comments and evidence boys. Not rhetoric and saliva.

Thanx.

Goodbye Dak thanks for the POOR memories!!!

cern

Reaction score
dak will recover 100% i broke my ankle in 2016. both tibia and fibula. (though not compound fracture) i was 70 at the time. had surgery in early june and was hunting dove sept. 1 just under 3 months later. dak is more than 40 years younger and has the best medical care and rehabilitation facilities possible. i have 11 titanium screws and a 6" metal plate in my ankle. i'm sure he'll have a few, too. but he'll be fine.

Jipper

Reaction score
The comparison many will make is to rg3 but we all need to remember dak is not a running qb but more of a mobile pocket passer, also dak is not succeeding bc he’s in a gimmick system like rg3 was in so I don’t worry nearly as much about his recovery.

I think using that top 5 pick to get extra picks in the first couple of rounds and restock the defense plus an oline signing makes sense and that means signing dak long term

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dak will recover 100% i broke my ankle in 2016. both tibia and fibula. (though not compound fracture) i was 70 at the time. had surgery in early june and was hunting dove sept. 1 just under 3 months later. dak is more than 40 years younger and has the best medical care and rehabilitation facilities possible. i have 11 titanium screws and a 6" metal plate in my ankle. i'm sure he'll have a few, too. but he'll be fine.
Any of those doves 6'4" 280 and chasing you around?

I do not think the injury will play a part in this, Alex Smith's problem was post surgery infection and Theismann's was not his ankle but lower weight bearing leg, he had to hold up his big mouth.

This will be about money.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Theismann's horrific injury was not a broken ankle. Did he heal from that injury and later break an ankle?

I think Dak will be back. Medicine and medical knowledge have come a long way since Theismann. Torn ACL's ended Gale Sayer's career. If he were playing today, he'd be back and in top shape the next year.

As for Dak being back, outside of Trevor Lawrence, I'd say if we're in the top 3 to 5, I'd trade down and accumulate draft picks. I'm not really sold on Justin Fields.
Besides, if we're going with Dak, we need more weapons (on offense and defense) around him. By weapons, I'm including all positions. We need to rebuild the offensive line. We're good at the skills position. We need linebackers and a safety, another DT and (of course) a pass rusher. We need lunch pale guys. No more divas. We need some dawgs.

Go out and get them, and I think we can win with Dak, as long as we don't require him to carry the team.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Got you. Sorry to hear all that. Glad you are better.

As for Dak..can he really run again and not suffer further injury?

When stuff like what happened to him manifests itself..its like aging yourself.

It's like he maybe young but his leg will be like 80 yrs old and I just wonder about him running and being shoestring tackled and POP.

There is a lot to consider.

Thanx for adding some first hand knowledge.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Let Dak ride out another 1 year deal....March 2022 gives us an opportunity to cut most highly paid players with a minimal cap hit. If the team underperforms next season, I think MM, Zeke, Dak, Tyron, Amari, Tank, Jaylon, etc. will all be gone.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dear Lord Pappy.

I ask for evidence and no saliva.

You are just frothing all over this thread.

For once I don't want that.

Just analysis and fair debate.

We have a lot of great fans who know things.

Where are those posters?.
I AM HERE! and I know things. Maybe not about this but other things. I either know a little about a lotta things or a lot about littler things.

To start this thread and not expect an appearance by PAPPY is a little too naive. On this site, PAPPY has Dakdar.

Darkhound

Reaction score
in my opinion, this is a very difficult subject. Dak is a very good person (from what I can tell) He means well, says the right things and does the right things. And on top of all of it, he wants to succeed. I think that he is not an Elite QB and we should seek a more "promising" QB in the next draft. That of course is no guaretee. Ryan Leaf being an example.... but a 4th Rounder will most likely always be that.

I have nothing against Dak as a person, but i dont think he is the QB that we need. But then again, we have become a MEDIOCRE franchise that is mot keen to loosing than winning, so this is what we got and what we are

cern

Reaction score
Any of those doves 6'4" 280 and chasing you around?

I do not think the injury will play a part in this, Alex Smith's problem was post surgery infection and Theismann's was not his ankle but lower weight bearing leg, he had to hold up his big mouth.

This will be about money.
it has always been, and it will always be about the money. team friendly deals? team loyalty? pshaw!!! it's always about the money.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dear Lord Pappy.

I ask for evidence and no saliva.

You are just frothing all over this thread.

For once I don't want that.

Just analysis and fair debate.

We have a lot of great fans who know things.

Where are those posters?.
You can't analyze with Dak-Trolls so I won't waste my time as they place Dak above the team and its glory.
Heck, they would be happy if Dak got 60 million a year and us being in the cellar of the NFC East for the next 5 years!
Next, please!!!!
Here you go one of Prescott's biggest supporters stating the reality of why Dak is on the Tag and in all likelihood depart come the Spring!

Darkhound

Reaction score
Let Dak ride out another 1 year deal....March 2022 gives us an opportunity to cut most highly paid players with a minimal cap hit. If the team underperforms next season, I think MM, Zeke, Dak, Tyron, Amari, Tank, Jaylon, etc. will all be gone.

this "cycle" of mediocrity will never end.
As long as Jerry jones, and his family own and run this team, we will keep being mediocre

Brax

Reaction score
I was 53 have 2 plates and 18 screws, was walking in 10 weeks felt almost normal in 12 months Dr advised only normal activity for 18 months took about 3 years for the ankle to return to near normal size , lot of pain for the first 2 years and still bothers me 12 years later. I didn't have one of the best Dr. in the world like Dak had and I was not 26, only time will tell but Jerry loves broken players so expect Dak back.

csirl

Reaction score
I know 2 people who had similar injuries playing football, albeit at a lower level. Outcome as follows:

Player 1. Was one of the star players on the team. Recovery went well, no complicatioms. Didnt play at all the following year - wasnt recovered in time. Played 2 years later. Wasnt the same player - lost some speed/mobility and played a couple more seasons as a backup.

Player 2. Promising young starter. Complications during recovery - damaged blood supply. Never played sport again. Still limps.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Not only are they keeping him.....ownership gives him more leverage every day, either with their mouths or the product they put on the field.

cern

Reaction score
I was 53 have 2 plates and 18 screws, was walking in 10 weeks felt almost normal in 12 months Dr advised only normal activity for 18 months took about 3 years for the ankle to return to near normal size , lot of pain for the first 2 years and still bothers me 12 years later. I didn't have one of the best Dr. in the world like Dak had and I was not 26, only time will tell but Jerry loves broken players so expect Dak back.
my surgeon was the surgeon for the texas rangers baseball team and the stars hockey club. tmi sports medicine in arlington and also at the star in frisco. no doubt, that was instrumental in my recovery. i'm sure dak's surgeon was just as good. haven't had a single problem and felt totally normal in 6 months.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it has always been, and it will always be about the money. team friendly deals? team loyalty? pshaw!!! it's always about the money.
Yep and King's point about your boy being in a no win place for a question about this is exactly why no other management person of any NFL team puts themselves in that position. They're just too stupid for interviews. Smart people avoid being asked questions they do not want to answer.

Some are basing Prescott being retained on what the Joneses have spewed forth and that's nothing because they don't even know where his head is going to be in the off season. Think this injury hasn't jacked with his mind and we know his brother has no love for the Cowboys.

What if that break is up a few inches and the word "shattered" is used instead of broken? That might have been the straw that breaks the tag's back. I think the tag is BS, manage your damn cap better.

Think ole Dak and his agent might have some punitive damages in mind for this next contract? One thing we know about him, he is about the money and I don't blame him.

And that idiot going on the radio to give Dak's agent more ammo is par for the course with this clown act.