Video: NBC Sports-Will Ekekiel Elliott be suspended for incident at festival-Pro Football Talk

aria

Reaction score
MMA falls under mutual combat. The penalties you cited are mostly incidental and, "part of the game." However if it's egregious enough legal action could be taken. Do the players sign a waiver saying they can't sue another player for their actions on the field?

OMG, this is ridiculous. Once you come up with some new material then perhaps will take another lap around the floor but I’m wasting my time with this argument, I’d rather cut my lawn with nail clippers.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:lmao2: That's why you're the best.

Do they? You could argue that mindset led ESPN down the road of ratings hell. Pitaro had to come out and say they're getting away from that stuff because, "it's not [their] job."
Not only was that not their job but the amount of time and everyone having their 2 cents thrown in might had led the people to believe this was a far bigger problem than just this one instance. Had this been brewing, just under the surface? I thought about it at the time, this is one guy and not even a star player. If Brady had been beating his wife, although I think it would have been the reverse and a whole new light shining on spousal abuse, that's big but this was one player out of 1,856. That's probably less than the national average of reported abuse cases.

But what made the story wasn't the act, it was what followed. It was Goodell's actions that really ignited this because it fed the perception of how a man would view this as opposed to a woman. I think the backlash was not lost on the owners and the disciplinary part of the NFL took center stage over the game. Goodell was perceived as "taking it easy" on Rice and everything after that has been a domino effect.

If that had not happened, maybe Elliott doesn't get a time out because Goodell is now firmly planted on the meting out justice side of it. The benefit of the doubt goes to the victim.

Haimerej

Reaction score
What if a player got drunk and killed another player? Forget that one, we already know the answer to that.

This illustrates my point perfectly. People just want to watch football.

There are people that only care about what these players do on the field, of which I am one, but there are others, and they can affect revenue, that care about all of it. The NFL caters to the latter and if I were an owner, so would I. They are not losing money by doing something but can the same be said about doing nothing? What do you think would happen if they just 86'd the conduct policy?

We won't know until they do it. My personal opinion is that there would be outrage from the Inquisition subset of society but people would still be watching the games. I know most want to move on from the anthem thing, and I don't really want to get into it anymore than just referencing it as a counter to your point, but I think it's clearly relevant in this discussion.

The only time they started hemorrhaging viewers and losing ad revenue (well... the networks lost revenue) just happened to coincide with that. Even in spite of most sports media supporting it, the fans turned off and the NFL responded by doing what they could to get people to move on and forget it.

I think the media vastly overestimates their influence on culture. Sure, there are plenty of impressionable youths out there but as people age they tend to start thinking for themselves.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
This illustrates my point perfectly. People just want to watch football.

I think the media vastly overestimates their influence on culture. Sure, there are plenty of impressionable youths out there but as people age they tend to start thinking for themselves.
It's a topic of convo here, but in my circle and folks I know closer to the game don't really care whatsoever. Most of the drama is media driven click bait.
I couldn't possibly care less if a guy is a super awesome person, I want animals playing this game, not angels. Some fans think they're above everyone.

Haimerej

Reaction score
OMG, this is ridiculous. Once you come up with some new material then perhaps will take another lap around the floor but I’m wasting my time with this argument, I’d rather cut my lawn with nail clippers.

So you cede the point. Excellent.

Haimerej

Reaction score
I don't know if they do or not but the NFL cares because they think the TV nets care. All comes back to the money.

But the TV networks love money, too, and ultimately the fanbase is where the real value lies. The networks pay what they pay because the NFL brings in viewers. ESPN is learning what really matters to the typical fan- the sport itself.

Think about it. Even at the youth level, "jocks," aren't held in high regard. Nobody looks to them to be pillars of the community. They're our modern gladiators and their value lies in their athletic prowess, nothing else. That's why they can skate through and sound like (or just be) illiterate goofballs after getting, "educated," and people don't bat an eye. We don't care. We want them to run fast, jump high, throw long, and fight through injuries because we find it entertaining. Simple as that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But the TV networks love money, too, and ultimately the fanbase is where the real value lies. The networks pay what they pay because the NFL brings in viewers. ESPN is learning what really matters to the typical fan- the sport itself.

Think about it. Even at the youth level, "jocks," aren't held in high regard. Nobody looks to them to be pillars of the community. They're our modern gladiators and their value lies in their athletic prowess, nothing else. That's why they can skate through and sound like (or just be) illiterate goofballs after getting, "educated," and people don't bat an eye. We don't care. We want them to run fast, jump high, throw long, and fight through injuries because we find it entertaining. Simple as that.
I agree but this still all circles back to the money.

The perception is right now that the NFL is doing what they can to police their own game, even overboard for some fans. That perception keeps people out of the "outrage mode" and taking action against the companies that support the game. That's the fear of the NFL, people can't get back at the team or the TV net but they can make the sponsor pay like they were jumping off OU when they started have problems with their players. That's the avenue people take, they start boycotts against companies and there aren't any CEO's that don't take that seriously.

The NFL is just super sensitive to anything that can make the golden geese stop laying eggs. Their stance is to err on the side of caution and even change the game to suit them.

My stance on this is simple, I don't care. I watch them play football and could care less what they do on their own time. But then again, I am kind of a change the laws to lower crime type of guy. Hell, make all the drugs legal and tax them and do the same with gambling and prostitution. But then, I do not have a business dependent on public perception and when I did run businesses in the public eye, never shared that with anyone. Because it could hurt my business, just like the NFL.

Haimerej

Reaction score
The perception is right now that the NFL is doing what they can to police their own game, even overboard for some fans. That perception keeps people out of the "outrage mode" and taking action against the companies that support the game. That's the fear of the NFL, people can't get back at the team or the TV net but they can make the sponsor pay like they were jumping off OU when they started have problems with their players. That's the avenue people take, they start boycotts against companies and there aren't any CEO's that don't take that seriously.

Took them a while to take the last one seriously.

The problem with the modern, "outrage mode," is that it's usually media driven and reflective of their own biases, which I would argue aren't reflective of the typical fan. There's plenty of examples of a media narrative not reflecting what people actually think. People can call for a boycott all they want and if it aligns with media concerns they'll push it. If it doesn't align, the media will downplay it. Ultimately, the ratings are what actually matter.

The NFL is just super sensitive to anything that can make the golden geese stop laying eggs. Their stance is to err on the side of caution and even change the game to suit them.

That's arguable. They're, "super sensitive," to certain narratives and will use whatever argument to justify that sensitivity, money being one. But ultimately the money is in the ratings. If an advertiser decides to boycott over an issue but the ratings are unaffected, that simply allows space for another advertiser to step in.

My stance on this is simple, I don't care. I watch them play football and could care less what they do on their own time. But then again, I am kind of a change the laws to lower crime type of guy. Hell, make all the drugs legal and tax them and do the same with gambling and prostitution. But then, I do not have a business dependent on public perception and when I did run businesses in the public eye, never shared that with anyone. Because it could hurt my business, just like the NFL.

You're probably more in the mainstream than you think.

But I disagree that the public perception aspect as regards off field behavior is that important. Not to start a political debate, but I think it's illustrative of my point- doesn't the last election prove people don't care about private lives if they think you can do a good job? I find it ironic that he was chosen by people historically categorized as moralizers and opposed by the people who are supposed to not be concerned with that stuff. Even more hilarious is that the latter to this day are still harping on his private moral failings. It's Orwellian how the people who are supposed to represent a more open minded point of view are turning into censorious busybodies hell bent on suppressing their opposition.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Here's something that illustrates my point about people not caring about the player's private lives-

They make jokes about, "the alleged rapist," and, "the convicted spousal abuser." Funny because it's true.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Goodell won't likely make a decision till the week before season opener.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
People thought this would die down in a day, but it hasn't. The more it gets talked about in the media, the more chance it has to end in suspension.

3 game-suspension.
Pollard gets his debut.
Jerry gets leverege.
Zeke learns his lesson (I doubt it)

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Here's something that illustrates my point about people not caring about the player's private lives-

They make jokes about, "the alleged rapist," and, "the convicted spousal abuser." Funny because it's true.

These two are my man crushes.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Red, old man, the NFL was very clear on subsequent "incidents" (for lack of a better word).
Zeke, upon last suspension, was to bring NO more dishonor to him or the NFL.

Zeke did.

Handcuffed. :mad:h

Blocking the exit of as woman (more egregious than shoving the security guy):rolleyes:
Arguing with a woman in public :facepalm:
and, yes, the goonish shoving of the security staff :angry:

He will serve 3 games suspension. Not because it was relatively a mild incident, but because Zeke was told before.
If Goodell backs down, it only encourages more brutish behavior from these "college" guys.

Pollard, tighten yer shoulder pads! We'll need you!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

This is another really inconvenient fact of life for us.

Zeke is going to do this stuff until he is suspended the max time.

I think there is something wrong with him mentally.

It's one thing to make mistakes because you are young..

but this is has been going on since college.

he runs with the wrong people..

he does not learn from his mistakes.

He likes to be the center of attention always.

I can not see how the Cowboys make him the highest paid player at his position.

He should be suspended!
How else will the knucklehead learn?!?!?
Huh?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
We drafted 2 RB in this draft, the Cowboys typically don't take 2 RBs in a draft class,, one of the historians on this site might know the last time they did.
So sometimes the best answer to a question is what the team does.. @ OP.
Pollard, get yer headgear!!!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

This is another really inconvenient fact of life for us.

Zeke is going to do this stuff until he is suspended the max time.

I think there is something wrong with him mentally.

It's one thing to make mistakes because you are young..

but this is has been going on since college.

he runs with the wrong people..

he does not learn from his mistakes.

He likes to be the center of attention always.

I can not see how the Cowboys make him the highest paid player at his position.

Then, again, mates, why keep this drama queen? Franchise him, then kick his butt out. But keep him if he is at 1,500 yards rushing and 500 receiving. (Won't happen under moore who hasx100 WRs.)