NCAA | Agent speaks about Young's Wonderlic score...*Reportedly-16*

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
abersonc said:
uneducated doesn't mean someone is of low intelligence.

That is very true! Some of the smartest people on the planet have failed BIG TIME!

You have earned one Bronze Star....:star:

jimmy40

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 05:54:58 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Saturday, Feb. 25 a rumor that Texas QB Vince Young had scored a six on the Wonderlic test sent shock waves through the NFL Combine. Sunday, Feb. 26, the Combine said the test score of six that was being reported by some media outlets was false. Young took the test again and scored 16. According to Young's agent, Major Adams, the Sunday test was administered by Jeff Foster, executive director of National Scouting Combine.

"The combine officials assured us that score (six) was false and that the accurate score will be known when the combine results are given to each team," Adams said.

Wonderlic scores are supposed to be confidential and are never confirmed publicly by the NFL, because they are included in Combine results given to teams after the Combine, scores leak out. Prospects can take the Wonderlic tests as many times as they want. While Young's Wonderlic tests created a huge controversy, he was busy interviewing with different teams.
No matter how stupid he is, he was smart enough not to be an aggie.:lmao: :lmao: :lmao2: :lmao2:

jimmy40

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Just face it people, he's a Hell of an athlete, but only slightly above Forrest Gump on the sharpness scale....
That's not a nice way to talk about a&m's daddy.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
That's not a nice way to talk about a&m's daddy.

Daddy? In Radio's 3 career game sagainst A&M, he had 5 turnovers, was sacked 10 times, ran for an average of a little over 30 yards a game, and hurt his team more than helped in all 3. In 2003, his defense bailed him out. In 2004, Wicky bailed him out. In 2005, A&M's lack of a passing game bailed him out.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
I got an 13/15 on the Wonderlic test. Missed the Pages question and the Profitquestion. I probably could have figured out the profit question, but I'm not being drafted. :)

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Funxva said:
I got an 13/15 on the Wonderlic test. Missed the Pages question and the Profitquestion. I probably could have figured out the profit question, but I'm not being drafted. :)

same ones i missed. i just didn't feel like doing the math so i passed on it.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Test scores may put Young back to work

[SIZE=-1]03:39 PM CST on Monday, February 27, 2006

Rick Gosselin

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
INDIANAPOLIS – Southern Cal couldn't tackle Vince Young in the Rose Bowl in January. But a piece of paper apparently tackled the Texas quarterback in February.

Young apparently took a Wonderlic test last weekend at the NFL scouting combine. He apparently scored in the single digits, reportedly a 6. He apparently took it again a day later and scored higher, reportedly a 16.

All these "apparentlys" and "reportedlys" are because Wonderlic scores, like drug tests, are supposed to be kept confidential by the NFL. No one in the league will go on record to say that Young scored a 6, 16, 26 or 36 – although NFL officials moved quickly Sunday morning to deny reports that Young scored a 6.

"I have been told it was inaccurate by a source good enough for me to stand up here and quote it," said Charlie Casserly, the general manager of Young's hometown Houston Texans. "Otherwise I wouldn't get up here and just say it."

The test, created by Wonderlic, Inc., has been around since 1937. Wonderlic describes the exam as "a short-form measure of cognitive ability designed for simple administration and interpretation." In short, it's a general intelligence, multiple-choice, time test.

There are 50 questions with a 12-minute time limit. You add up the number of correct answers for a composite test score. If you answer 37 questions in the 12 minutes and only 20 of them are correct, your score is 20.

The questions start off easy and become harder as the test progresses. Here's a sample question: If Sunday is the first day of the week, then Wednesday is the ____________ day. Then there are five multiple choice answers to choose from.

"It's basically a reading-comprehension test," Kansas City Chiefs president Carl Peterson said. "It's an indication that a young man may or may not have a reading comprehension problem.

"How important is that to us? We do a lot of teaching from playbooks. (The Wonderlic test) gives you an indication that there may be a problem here, so let's examine this further."

Former Cincinnati Bengals tight end Pat McInally, who played from 1976-85, reportedly is the only NFL draft prospect ever to score a 50 on the test. McInally went to Harvard. So did quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, who reportedly scored in the 40s at last year's scouting combine.

The NFL would prefer quarterbacks to score in the 30s (or higher). The 20s are acceptable. The teens would be a red flag on a quarterback's draft stock – but not a fatal flaw.

"Anyone who uses the Wonderlic has to start with the premise that this is a reading comprehension test," Peterson said. "It's not an intelligence, knowledge test. You want to know how a guy learns best. It's usually a combination of reading, visualizing and walking through it."

Just as prospects prepare for the physical drills at the combine, their agents prepare them for the Wonderlic test as well. Many agents provide their players sample tests. Some take them two and three times per day in the weeks leading up to the combine to sharpen reading comprehension against a clock.

It is not known whether Young's inexperienced representation team of family and friends had prepared him for the Wonderlic test he would take at Indianapolis. But the rule of thumb is the more often you take the test, the better you score.

"It's just another piece of the puzzle," Peterson said. "We're not going to get too excited about it. It's not an indication whether a guy can play football or not.

"Some guys over the years have scored well, some not so well. I don't remember what Joe Montana scored, but I do remember he completed a lot of passes."

Young was one of 25 quarterbacks invited to the combine and showed up with an impressive portfolio – the Maxwell, Manning and O'Brien awards plus an All-America certificate.

Young was an early projection as a Top 5 draft pick, so he elected not to participate in any of the on-the-field drills. His participation was limited to the individual player interviews conducted by the teams – and the two Wonderlic tests.

Young's draft stock shined before the combine. It now appears he has some polishing to do before his campus workout in March.

Link

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Funxva said:

did you give yourself 3 minutes and 40 seconds to complete it? That's about the pace that the test should be taken -- 50 questions over 12 mintues. Otherwise the scoring is not valid. It is at its core a time-limited test.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Avery said:
...but he knows what love is.

Dude bagged Jenny. He's not a complete idiot.

:laugh2:

Medal of Honor

Guh-zillionaire

Met three presidents

Taught Elvis to dance

Vince has a lot to live up to.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
abersonc said:
did you give yourself 3 minutes and 40 seconds to complete it? That's about the pace that the test should be taken -- 50 questions over 12 mintues. Otherwise the scoring is not valid. It is at its core a time-limited test.

I'd say it was around that. I thank madden for the questions though. They are very similar.

Haha just kidding. I was a pretty good student in school..

haha just kidding again.

Seriously though... They weren't all that bad. Reminded me of SAT stuff.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Funxva said:
I'd say it was around that. I thank madden for the questions though. They are very similar.

Haha just kidding. I was a pretty good student in school..

haha just kidding again.

Seriously though... They weren't all that bad. Reminded me of SAT stuff.
Exactly. You'd have to be very "special" to score a 16.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I heard someone on ESPN say that Drew Henson scored more than Donovan McNabb and some other player(cant remember name) combined on the Wonderlic test

For those that think that has meaning for NFL player

AbeBeta

Reaction score
YoMick said:
I heard someone on ESPN say that Drew Henson scored more than Donovan McNabb and some other player(cant remember name) combined on the Wonderlic test

For those that think that has meaning for NFL player

one of several indicators. of course it isn't a perfect predictor on its own. duh.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80 said:
Experts stated the Wonderlic test is probably the least important eliment of the draft process.

hmm. then why do they continue to administer it? it is one of several ways to to tell if someone is smart enough or not. some "experts" might ignore it but that doesn't mean it isn't important to others.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
A Wonderlic exam tests a persons ability to take a Wonderlic exam.

I don't necessarily think it tests intelligence.

And taking it a step further, there are all kinds of intelligence.

One of the most brilliant athletes I have ever seen was Muhammad Ali. The guy was a genius in his sport. Long after his skills declined, his intelligence carried him.

I'll bet his Wonderlic score wouldn't have been high.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Juke99 said:

One of the most brilliant athletes I have ever seen was Muhammad Ali. The guy was a genius in his sport. Long after his skills declined, his intelligence carried him.

I'll bet his Wonderlic score wouldn't have been high.
I think you're confusing athletic prowess with intelligence. Intelligence is intelligence. Athletic prowess doesn't help you read a defense.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Juke99 said:

the wonderlic is designed as a measure of general intelligence that tests a number those aspects of intelligence. keep in mind that psychologists who study intelligence are the ones designing these tests -- those folks are the ones who came up with the concept of different kinds of intelligence.

to say it doesn't measure intelligence is not supported by data - it is at least moderately related to most widely used intelligence measures. it does. at issue is how strongly it is related to intelligence.

any GM who uses this test as their only data for player evaluation or who attends mindlessly to "cutoffs" for positions is being stupid. the test isn't that fine an instrument. however, extremely low scores raise a serious red flag.

does that mean that Young can't be a succesful QB? no. does it make teams think twice about picking him high and investing millions in a signing bonus - yes, it has to.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Here's a little problem for those that think the wonderlic is meaningless, find a QB who has won the Super Bowl who scored less than 20 (average intelligence).

People love to show Marino and McNabb with low scores but the last time I checked, neither had ring.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
Here's a little problem for those that think the wonderlic is meaningless, find a QB who has won the Super Bowl who scored less than 20 (average intelligence).

People love to show Marino and McNabb with low scores but the last time I checked, neither had ring.

I still think you have to throw Marino out there. He took the test back when it wasn't the big deal it is now. Unlike today's prospects I doubt he ever saw practice items on the test (exposure to practice items can raise scores considerably), received coaching on test taking strategies, or got tutoring to give him the "mental reps" on the types of items the Wonderlic tests for. Tough to compare across generations here.

McNabb shows that the Wonderlic is just one indicator of intelligence. Some guys who score low might turn out succesful. But look at McNabb's situation - he has worked in the same offense for his entire career, with some of the best QB instruction in the league -- that can be huge as he's got great coaching and a consistent system.