NCAA Football Bowl Games

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Anyone notice the dilution in quality football in this year’s Bowl games? Many future NFL draft picks are skipping their Bowl games. I fought hard to get my Bachelors going to lunch and nighttime classes during my 20 year military career and would never pass up the opportunity to play in a Bowl game, not that I’m anywhere talented enough. It’s a shame because the bowl games use to be so competitive. I think we’re in the middle of a transition to a bigger playoff similar to NCAA Basketball. Not 64 teams but more like 32. I think it’s coming in the next 50 years.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, my interest is way down. When I see a game like the Cotton Bowl I know the game is not nearly as good as it should be because of the number of players opting out. I think if a player is getting NIL money then they should play in all the team's games. I mean aren't they getting played to play football now?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Anyone notice the dilution in quality football in this year’s Bowl games? Many future NFL draft picks are skipping their Bowl games. I fought hard to get my Bachelors going to lunch and nighttime classes during my 20 year military career and would never pass up the opportunity to play in a Bowl game, not that I’m anywhere talented enough. It’s a shame because the bowl games use to be so competitive. I think we’re in the middle of a transition to a bigger playoff similar to NCAA Basketball. Not 64 teams but more like 32. I think it’s coming in the next 50 years.
I absolutely do. Harrison skipping last night‘s game is a bad look for the game. I get it but it’s not good for the game.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Is there a mercy rule in college football because Georgia is just killing Fla St. 42-3 at half. They hit 50 then start the running clock for gods sake.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Lol enough with Florida State getting robbed. Georgia is proving what fakes they were. Further is there any doubt Georgia would have murdered TX and Washington?
I don’t know about Washington. They are hit and miss. I saw them play against USC and their qb was impressive. More impressive than Caleb I’ll add. Never know what team will show up

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
This is basically a spring game for FSU...the bowl season is worthless now, it will never be the way it used to be. But the 12 team playoff will change how we view and look forward to this time of year so that's good. At least until the next top prospect has a major injury in one of the quarterfinal/semifinals and then we'll probably start seeing players opt out of those playoff games too.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I live in the heart of FSU country. I have a lot of FSU family members. The amount of belly aching from the FSU people was nearly unbearable. They already had multiple excuses for losing the Orange Bowl. You name the excuse and they had it.

The game didnt mean anything to FSU players much as it did for GA players. GA wanted to show the one loss didn't take away the fact they were still one of the top teams, and as it stands now they are proving it. FSU didn't want to back up their claim they got cheated by playing the game. It's easier to do it that way.

I understand why the players opt out, and I understand why people like me don't like the game as it is now. It's not the same game I grew to love, so I don't watch it much. I'm not in the coveted demographic anymore so my opinions don't matter, but how is the game going to grow if teams are a shell of themselves during Bowl games.

pansophy

Reaction score
I saw 20 players from FSU opted out of playing. So that explains a lot.

csirl

Reaction score
I think college football is dying a very slow death - and stuff like this doesnt help. Its not the same game anymore.

madcow74

Reaction score
Deacon hill for iowa should skip the rest of his career. I can't believe they keep him in there. Might as well give someone else a shot, even if it's one of the cheerleaders.

Motorola

Reaction score
Deacon hill for iowa should skip the rest of his career. I can't believe they keep him in there. Might as well give someone else a shot, even if it's one of the cheerleaders.
Kirk Ferentz --- the most overly hyped, overly rated, overly awarded NCAA Division 1 college football head coach this century -IMO

DFWJC

Reaction score
I saw 20 players from FSU opted out of playing. So that explains a lot.
It was their backups, and in some cases the backup of their backups, playing a powerhouse UGa team.
Bloodbath

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don’t know about Washington. They are hit and miss. I saw them play against USC and their qb was impressive. More impressive than Caleb I’ll add. Never know what team will show up
Thier defense is very suspect but they should be able to score ok

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I live in the heart of FSU country. I have a lot of FSU family members. The amount of belly aching from the FSU people was nearly unbearable. They already had multiple excuses for losing the Orange Bowl. You name the excuse and they had it.

The game didnt mean anything to FSU players much as it did for GA players. GA wanted to show the one loss didn't take away the fact they were still one of the top teams, and as it stands now they are proving it. FSU didn't want to back up their claim they got cheated by playing the game. It's easier to do it that way.

I understand why the players opt out, and I understand why people like me don't like the game as it is now. It's not the same game I grew to love, so I don't watch it much. I'm not in the coveted demographic anymore so my opinions don't matter, but how is the game going to grow if teams are a shell of themselves during Bowl games.
The expanded playoffs will take care of a lot of it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yeah, apparently the whole FSU “snub” was good decision making.
Unrelated.
That was not 2023 FSU out there even remotely. Backups across the board
I do think without their starting QB, they would've lost even if the whole team didn't sit out.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
FSU acted like kids in middle school. “We’ll sit out everyone. That’ll show em”

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Michigan dominated the first half, physically…… which is saying a lot against a Nick Saban team. They look like national champs. Unfortunately, all that domination has only resulted in a 3 point lead. I’ll be shocked if Bama doesn’t come out looking better.