NCAA Football Bowl Games

ghst187

Reaction score
Bowl games were the 10 most watched NON-NFL programs in December.

Here are some recent bowl game ratings:

I hope this helps!
Check back in a year or two…esp if nothing about the opting out changes.

1942willys

Reaction score
Its telling that you can boast about three million out of 335 million watching that program and think its really all that

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Check back in a year or two…esp if nothing about the opting out changes.
Ok but it has been happening for 3 years now.

There has been no drop off in those 3 years.
Zero indication it is anything more than typical bellyaching by 40+ year olds who hate change.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
FSU didn’t get hosed. They were without their star QB, and it is the committee’s job to pick the four best teams at the end of the year. The committee’s bylaws literally require them to take player availability and injuries into account when picking playoff teams. The committee got it right as proven by FSU’s historically embarrassing loss against Georgia.

How did the committee deserve anything? They were proven right and justified since FSU lost so badly against Georgia. The committee definitely didn’t want FSU’s garbage team in the playoffs. The committee could care less what happened in the Orange bowl. They only cared about the playoff games.

FSU won the ACC CG against a top 15 team without their QB.
They were still undefeated.
Bama's offense looked like dog spit multiple times WITH their starting QB whom they benched at one point this year.

FSU held out 20 starters so no it was not any indication of anything except low IQ when people use it as an example.

I promise any fan on this board would be burning tires if that happened to their team.

Every tie going in favor of the more powerful program is the biggest thing wrong with NCAA football.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Its telling that you can boast about three million out of 335 million watching that program and think its really all that
National ad revenue for 3M viewers across a 3-hour game is ~500-650K per 30 second slot.
It is all about the dollars.
These Bowls make a ton of cash for their broadcasters.
3M is just outside the 100 NON-NFL sporting events.
It is a number people try to hit.

The XFL and USFL never hit 2.5M for any single game.
Indy 500 only goes 4.5M and it is the jewel of that sport by far.

ghst187

Reaction score
Ok but it has been happening for 3 years now.

There has been no drop off in those 3 years.
Zero indication it is anything more than typical bellyaching by 40+ year olds who hate change.
Had a decent argument until the end.
If colleges are paying huge money to market their big name athletes, sell tickets, merchandise, and etc., then in the big culminating event of the year the player just opts out of playing…almost like a breech of contract. I get why the players do it so I’m not bashing them for it, just saying the quality of the bowls are taking a dive outside the BCS series and it’s a bad look that I have to think networks, who pay and make big money off of them are going to want to extract some guarantees that star players will play. Maybe or maybe not it has shown up in the revenues but if more and more keep doing it i have to imagine the networks will fear perception equals reality.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
FSU won the ACC CG against a top 15 team without their QB.
They were still undefeated.
Bama's offense looked like dog spit multiple times WITH their starting QB whom they benched at one point this year.

FSU held out 20 starters so no it was not any indication of anything except low IQ when people use it as an example.

I promise any fan on this board would be burning tires if that happened to their team.

Every tie going in favor of the more powerful program is the biggest thing wrong with NCAA football.
Earlier you posted about your bet on the CFP title game

So be honest if FSU played Bama tomorrow with their 3rd string QB, you telling me you'd bet on FSU?

This wasn't about "the most powerful program". FSU without Travis wasn't even close to a top 4 team. Anyone willing to be honest knows this

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Had a decent argument until the end.
If colleges are paying huge money to market their big name athletes, sell tickets, merchandise, and etc., then in the big culminating event of the year the player just opts out of playing…almost like a breech of contract. I get why the players do it so I’m not bashing them for it, just saying the quality of the bowls are taking a dive outside the BCS series and it’s a bad look that I have to think networks, who pay and make big money off of them are going to want to extract some guarantees that star players will play. Maybe or maybe not it has shown up in the revenues but if more and more keep doing it i have to imagine the networks will fear perception equals reality.
You mean you agreed until it hit too close to home?

Georgia/FSU drew OVER 10 MILLION viewers.
So who exactly is complaining? Advertisers? The Bowl itself?
Nope. Just fans.

With NIL you are definitely onto something. How the deals are structured matter. Final pay outs could be withheld.
But Fall Semester ended December 12/13 for Texas colleges. So they were no longer active students and were free to leave campus and seek other opportunities.
It is the fly in the ointment of D1 football scheduling. BUT it is NOT new.
Kids have been opting out for DECADES to focus on turning pro.
It is happening in greater numbers but good coaches still prepare their team and use that Bowl season to coach up younger kids who will be there next year.
And some kids who just aren't quite good enough to start regularly will get a start or at least get playing time before portalling to a lower-level school.
All net benefits if you ask me.

College football is transitory. Kids will be gone in a blink regardless.
Watch what interests you,

End of day there isn't enough sports media to go around so these advertisers and these eyeballs are not changing direction anytime soon.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Earlier you posted about your bet on the CFP title game

So be honest if FSU played Bama tomorrow with their 3rd string QB, you telling me you'd bet on FSU?

This wasn't about "the most powerful program". FSU without Travis wasn't even close to a top 4 team. Anyone willing to be honest knows this
To be clear, Bama was NOT a top 4 team.

FSU would not have been on QB3 had they not been pile driven out of the CFP. Would I have bet FSU over Bama? Not moneyline, no. I probably would have taken FSU and the points though as both have great defenses and Saban plays games close to the vest.

End of day it isn't the committee's job to play God. And the new 12-man playoff will ensure this as their will be auto-bids. This is a meritocracy and you earn your spots.

I don't like FSU in any real way so it's whatever there but as a fan of the sport I am sick of inane drivel the committee tosses up as fact when it is pure conjecture. The 12 team CFP cannot get here soon enough. Should have been here a decade ago.

1942willys

Reaction score
National ad revenue for 3M viewers across a 3-hour game is ~500-650K per 30 second slot.
It is all about the dollars.
These Bowls make a ton of cash for their broadcasters.
3M is just outside the 100 NON-NFL sporting events.
It is a number people try to hit.

The XFL and USFL never hit 2.5M for any single game.
Indy 500 only goes 4.5M and it is the jewel of that sport by far.
And so? Still a tiny fraction of the population. And you are correct it is all about the money.
But it makes you wonder why some of the smarter people in the NCAA and elsewhere are not trying to figure out ways to increase their viewership and fan base.
I guess its a case where they are making theirs and that is all that matters.

Old farts like me remember when you would bet forty million people watching the big bowl games.

ghst187

Reaction score
You mean you agreed until it hit too close to home?

Georgia/FSU drew OVER 10 MILLION viewers.
So who exactly is complaining? Advertisers? The Bowl itself?
Nope. Just fans.

With NIL you are definitely onto something. How the deals are structured matter. Final pay outs could be withheld.
But Fall Semester ended December 12/13 for Texas colleges. So they were no longer active students and were free to leave campus and seek other opportunities.
It is the fly in the ointment of D1 football scheduling. BUT it is NOT new.
Kids have been opting out for DECADES to focus on turning pro.
It is happening in greater numbers but good coaches still prepare their team and use that Bowl season to coach up younger kids who will be there next year.
And some kids who just aren't quite good enough to start regularly will get a start or at least get playing time before portalling to a lower-level school.
All net benefits if you ask me.

College football is transitory. Kids will be gone in a blink regardless.
Watch what interests you,

End of day there isn't enough sports media to go around so these advertisers and these eyeballs are not changing direction anytime soon.
Not even close.
And it’s curious as chatGPT gave you a really good talking point that made you sound smart but then you went ad hominem that wasn’t even in context of anything I wrote. I don’t even care just think it’s fascinating.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Michigan OC Sherrone Moore really squandered Michigan momentum in 2nd quarter with some odd play calling

And McCarthy is off today. He needs to pick it up in second half

AyeAtey

Reaction score
Wolverines are a solid overall team.

Might have put the dagger to the Huskies.

Huskies never got untracked or recovered from the first quarter.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
GO BLUE
Game was closer than final score indicated but they were the better team

Penix didn't get sacked a lot but he took a beating

Big moment for Michigan nation. Super pleased and excited