NCAAF gets it wrong again

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
It wasn’t their fault Seminole’s and USC we’re down . Northwestern won Big 10 west . Vandy went to a bowl. And Mich was a top 10 team most of the year.

No, this was about fans who just wanted Ohio St or Georgia in there. Or think there’s a purity to being top 4 without the ranking. Easy answer. Win all of your games or someone else will decide if you’re good enough.

Determing Div 1 champion is a flawed system. Always has been.The playoff system didn’t totally fix it.

Playoff just made it worse because now there are only 3 bowl games that matter.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But they aren’t. Everyone understands the deal going in.

I think ND football is the most arrogant program on the planet. They should be forced to join ACC football or be treated like the non Big 5 conference team they looked like.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They need to expand the playoff and make more bowl games matter. Not sure who thought giving us a full day of meaningless bowl games was a good idea.
Expanding it will water it down even more and lessen significance of Bowl games.

I’d prefer going back to the BCS scenario #1 vs #2 because NCAA isnt going to get rid of the bowls. Everyone wants to reward mediocrity.

Div 1 has always been flawed with controversy deciding who the champion is.

As of now if your from a top 5 conference or Notre Dame and go undefeated , you’re in.

If we really want to shake it up let’s get 5 undefeated teams from power 5 conferences. Then someone will complain. Right now only fans are.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
This is the biggest problem .

New Years games like yesterday pretty meaningless unless your team is playing .

I didn't even know there was anyone playing yesterday! I looked on here and saw that Texas and Georgia was playing. Even then I didn't put the game on for but just a few minutes. The other problem is ESPN/abc basically monopolizing the schedule and gobbling up tv contracts.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think ND football is the most arrogant program on the planet. They should be forced to join ACC football or be treated like the non Big 5 conference team they looked like.
It is what it is. They have always been the country biggest Independent and play a tough schedule. It wasn’t their fault a couple of those were down this year.

Tell me who else is going to schedule Mich, Mich St, USC, and Fl St ? Northwestern was Big 10 west champs and Vandy was in a bowl too.

That’s a legit schedule. All you can do is win all of your games. If you don’t then your at the mercy of the polls.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I didn't even know there was anyone playing yesterday! I looked on here and saw that Texas and Georgia was playing. Even then I didn't put the game on for but just a few minutes. The other problem is ESPN/abc basically monopolizing the schedule and gobbling up tv contracts.
Yea, it is what it is. These other Bowl games are for the alumni.

The Texas game was only one of interest to me yesterday as my wife and some her family attended there. And I have interest since here in Texas.

Only regular bowl games I watched were with Texas, Baylor and TCU.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If you want to make an impact . Stop watching. If enough do they might do something about it.

As always, follow the money trail.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I'm pretty much done with college football. Those bowl games are horrible anymore. The college football playoffs is a joke...

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is what it is. They have always been the country biggest Independent and play a tough schedule. It wasn’t their fault a couple of those were down this year.

Tell me who else is going to schedule Mich, Mich St, USC, and Fl St ? Northwestern was Big 10 west champs and Vandy was in a bowl too.

That’s a legit schedule. All you can do is win all of your games. If you don’t then your at the mercy of the polls.

Expanding it will water it down even more and lessen significance of Bowl games.

I’d prefer going back to the BCS scenario #1 vs #2 because NCAA isnt going to get rid of the bowls. Everyone wants to reward mediocrity.

Div 1 has always been flawed with controversy deciding who the champion is.

As of now if your from a top 5 conference or Notre Dame and go undefeated , you’re in.

If we really want to shake it up let’s get 5 undefeated teams from power 5 conferences. Then someone will complain. Right now only fans are.

I completely disagree. Nobody cares about the bowls b/c the playoff is more compelling. I don't care if they call the national quaterfinal the Peach Bowl and neither should anyone else. From the Bowls perspective more interest in the game equates to more money for everybody. The only thing preventing this is the old guard traditionists that don't want change for reasons of nostalgia. We aren't going back to the BCS or Bowl system. So, the only way forward is to improve the playoff.

If they let the power 5 champs in and then the next 3 highest ranked teams, they can include all the major bowls and make all the games actually matter. Folks arguing happens in every system.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
This is an important component. They do arrive at the final 4 based on their rankings which revolves around their records.

If the Irish at 12-0 were undeserving then they shouldn’t have been ranked that high to begin with.

Leaving a power 5 undefeated team out would have been a first.

The only way to shake up the current model is for everyone to go undefeated in all power 5 conferences. Then there’d be a real controversy leaving one out.

But losing 1 or in this case 2 for Georgia leaves you at the mercy of the ones voting.

Undefeated has always carried more weight in Div 1.
Saying ND didn't deserve to go is a joke..... like you said everyone agrees they had earned their ranking

They beat Stanford, USC, VT, Syracuse, Fla St, Michigan and Pitt

Clemson and Alabama are just that much better

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I completely disagree. Nobody cares about the bowls b/c the playoff is more compelling. I don't care if they call the national quaterfinal the Peach Bowl and neither should anyone else. From the Bowls perspective more interest in the game equates to more money for everybody. The only thing preventing this is the old guard traditionists that don't want change for reasons of nostalgia. We aren't going back to the BCS or Bowl system. So, the only way forward is to improve the playoff.

If they let the power 5 champs in and then the next 3 highest ranked teams, they can include all the major bowls and make all the games actually matter. Folks arguing happens in every system.
They already have an 8 team playoff with the Conference championships.... you can't have both

Do we really need to see 1-Alabama beat 8-UCF 64-6 to feel better

coogrfan

Reaction score
SEC runner-ups rarely ever play well in meaningless bowl games. Auburn lost last year..........Florida got beat up pretty bad the year before. It is no surprise at all. Texas is an up and coming program that was far more excited to be in the Sugar Bowl than UGA and that was pretty obvious from the games opening minutes until the end.

IMO, this is why they need to expand the playoffs. Same thing happened to Michigan who got blown out by Florida. Rashan Gary doesn't play........the staff is more interested in recruiting than preparing for a game. Coaches move on and don't stick around. UGA's defense was run by committee after their DC departed in december to be a head coach. While Alabama's OC whose also a HC in waiting stuck around b/c the game mattered. The playoff teams didn't have guys sitting out for fear of injury ect.

The NCAA just needs to go all in and stop dipping its toe in the playoff waters. They've made a mess of New Years Day and they need to fix it. You can't have a full day of football exhibitions that don't matter.

Everyone knows the SEC has never lost a bowl game they cared about. ;)