Reaction score
Tyron Smith - 10.37%
Dez Bryant - 9.75%
Tyrone Crawford - 5.38%
Jason Witten - 3.84%
Orlando Scandrick - 3.12%
Terrance Williams - 2.81%
Benson Mayowa - 2.27%

I hate to put Tyron Smith on a list of underperformers because that isn't the whole story, but the truth is, his inability to stay healthy is a problem that needs to be highlighted. As I discussed before, he isn't going to get healthier. You now can not expect him to play a full 16 game season, let alone an additional run into the playoffs...

Anyways, I digress, the rest of the list is less controversial. My point is that nearly 40 percent of your cap is held up by 6-7 players, some of whom aren't even good players, let alone great. I would be fine with moving on from all of these players. I don't see any of them as long-term options going forward. Logic dictates that they should be moved on from sooner rather than later.

Chappy

Reaction score
Smith deserves every cent and while you are guessing about his body in the future can you PM me the Lotto numbers as well for the next mega draw?

NFL is a taxing game and everyone gets beat up but saying Smith can not be expected play a 16 game season again is just pure rubbish IMO at his age.

We would be foolish to move on Smith and Dez, the rest can go and are replaceable and it is no surprise threads like this come up when both Smith and Dez are arguably coming off their worst seasons for us.

What about the good years everyone so quickly forgets and the need to be fickle is massive around here sadly.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Smith deserves every cent and while you are guessing about his body in the future can you PM me the Lotto numbers as well for the next mega draw?

NFL is a taxing game and everyone gets beat up but saying Smith can not be expected play a 16 game season is just pure rubbish IMO at his age.

Backs don't get better, they only get worse. Smith has not gotten better over the last couple of years. He will only get worse. This is just common sense.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Interesting Smith is on this for inability to stay healthy but Sean Lee isn't.........

Inability to stay healthy is a huge concern, but for the cost, Sean Lee is still probably a decent buy right now. Trust me that if he can't stay healthy to a degree going forward he would fall into the other column. I probably wouldn't resign him at his current rates, but I would look at what we could do to keep him here at lower rates in the future or say goodbye to him probably in 2019 when his dead money isn't prohibitive.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Regardless he is untouchable.

I don't think he is untouchable. I think you look around the league to trade him. His base salary costs aren't terribly high and he is still one of the best players at his position.

I would probably be okay with keeping Smith if the plan was to move him to right tackle and move Collins back to guard. Of course, this means you need to address the Left Tackle position in the draft or free agency.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
The reality with Sean Lee is that we've backloaded his contract so much with restructures it isn't even funny.

They need to make a decision with him regarding whether they want to extend him a couple years and reduce the load in 2018 and 2019.

I think that will be much easier than finding yet another starting linebacker. We still have no idea what will happen with Jaylon Smith, but ideally, you would add another quality linebacker from the draft this year. Someone who can start with Smith and Lee, but also replace either in case of injury on most downs.

In a 4-3, I'd say you want to have 4 starting caliber linebackers. I don't want to pay Hitchens and I'm not totally enamored with Wilson, so that puts a lot of stress on finding some relief in the draft.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Lol at Tyron Smith in the underperformed category. I’ll have what you’re having.

Again, he is one of the highest paid linemen in the NFL and can't be trusted to play a 16 game season let alone 16+.

If your goal is to win a super bowl and I believe that is what the goal is, you have to consider what you're paying him and whether it is equivalent to what you're getting in return.

What I'm noticing more and more about Cowboys fans is that they have no concept of player worth. Things are just black and white. You like a player, so regardless of how much they cost, they should remain. Regardless of how they are trending, they should remain.

Very much like Jerry Jones.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, he is one of the highest paid linemen in the NFL and can't be trusted to play a 16 game season let alone 16+.

If your goal is to win a super bowl and I believe that is what the goal is, you have to consider what you're paying him and whether it is equivalent to what you're getting in return.

What I'm noticing more and more about Cowboys fans is that they have no concept of player worth. Things are just black and white. You like a player, so regardless of how much they cost, they should remain. Regardless of how they are trending, they should remain.

Very much like Jerry Jones.

Lol.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Smith has missed 6 games in 2 seasons, he's been hobbled in more. If he is going to be cited as an excuse for why the team doesn't win games despite being one of our most expensive players, that is a clue that it's time to look for alternatives.

People would suggest that we just need to get a swing tackle... That isn't that easy. How many teams in the NFL don't have a great left tackle or even a starting caliber left tackle? But you want to somehow find one who can back up Smith? At what cost? We still have holes at a number of other positions on offense and defense.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Interesting Smith is on this for inability to stay healthy but Sean Lee isn't.........

Lee's contract was 7mil per year. He has always made a *huge* difference on the defense.
Tyron Smith - 10.37%
Dez Bryant - 9.75%
Tyrone Crawford - 5.38%
Jason Witten - 3.84%
Benson Mayowa - 2.27%

We've distorted these cap hits by using some guys like piggy banks.

Smith qualifies here. His "salary" has been around 1mil for since the beginning of his contract - 4 years. We're hitting peak cap hit this year as all that restructuring is coming due.

Tyron's average cap hit over his contract is 12.2mil. He's been a deal even with the injuries, though if he doesn't get the back at least stabilized, it's going to be a problem. He's got 18.4mil dead cap this year. Big fat piggy back. His original bonus was only 10mil. We've built it up with restructures over the years.

Terrance is guaranteed for this year, so too bad.

I really wish we had given Butler an extension when there was no market for him last year. Somebody is going to get a pretty good WR cheap, and it won't be us.

I hope we drop Dez. That's 12 mil salary that comes off the books. I don't see Dez taking a pay cut graciously, and I don't see him living up to 12mil, let alone his full cap hit. Time to move on.

But you missed the big under performers - the guys no longer on the team
Tony 8.9 mil
Thornton 2.5 mil
Carroll 2.0 mill

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Lee's contract was 7mil per year. He has always made a *huge* difference on the defense.

We've distorted these cap hits by using some guys like piggy banks.

Smith qualifies here. His "salary" has been around 1mil for since the beginning of his contract - 4 years. We're hitting peak cap hit this year as all that restructuring is coming due.

Tyron's average cap hit over his contract is 12.2mil. He's been a deal even with the injuries, though if he doesn't get the back at least stabilized, it's going to be a problem. He's got 18.4mil dead cap this year. Big fat piggy back. His original bonus was only 10mil. We've built it up with restructures over the years.

Terrance is guaranteed for this year, so too bad.

I really wish we had given Butler an extension when there was no market for him last year. Somebody is going to get a pretty good WR cheap, and it won't be us.

I hope we drop Dez. That's 12 mil salary that comes off the books. I don't see Dez taking a pay cut graciously, and I don't see him living up to 12mil, let alone his full cap hit. Time to move on.

But you missed the big under performers - the guys no longer on the team
Tony 8.9 mil
Thornton 2.5 mil
Carroll 2.0 mill

The dead money that the Cowboys continue to carry due to bad decisions will continue to haunt us.

The Cowboys don't have the first clue how to manage a roster. Drafting has mostly improved, but we still never make the best of free agency or trades, nor do we know when to cut bait with players before it is too late.

Ironically, I think they cut Romo way too early and as a result, we've dealt with his dead money on the books with no upside and continue to do so. The put all their eggs in one basket in Dak based on very little. The fact that he was able to have success against some really mediocre competition. Having not beaten anyone or had any playoff success. Now we carry his inexperience and lack of talent AND Romo's dead money...

Cedric Thornton and Nolan Carroll are jokes. Honestly, I would clean house and prepare for the future, and continue building this defense out.

superonyx

Reaction score
Lol at Tyron Smith in the underperformed category. I’ll have what you’re having.
It hurts me to say it but he did not perform well even when playing this year.
Check the stats and remember how little he played this season. Even when in the games he was giving up sacks and was called for the 9th most penalties of all OL in the league and this was only in half the games played.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats...IVE+LINE&opp=0&sort=1&qualified=1&sortOrder=0

Now he can bounce back. But let’s be honest about his performance last season.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Tyron Smith - 10.37%
Dez Bryant - 9.75%
Tyrone Crawford - 5.38%
Jason Witten - 3.84%
Benson Mayowa - 2.27%

I hate to put Tyron Smith on a list of underperformers because that isn't the whole story, but the truth is, his inability to stay healthy is a problem that needs to be highlighted. As I discussed before, he isn't going to get healthier. You now can not expect him to play a full 16 game season, let alone an additional run into the playoffs...

Anyways, I digress, the rest of the list is less controversial. My point is that nearly 40 percent of your cap is held up by 6-7 players, some of whom aren't even good players, let alone great. I would be fine with moving on from all of these players. I don't see any of them as long-term options going forward. Logic dictates that they should be moved on from sooner rather than later.
You forgot to add in the players not even on the roster that count against the cap. Romo almost 8.9 mil, Thorton 2.5 mil, Carroll 2 mil. This team is always salary cap issues. I wanted to see them trade Tyron Smith away 2 years ago because of his contract and back problems. Am I the only one that saw that coming! But hey Ive also been saying we are wasting our time with Garrett!
I dont like Jerry restructuring contracts, it never works out to benefit the Cowboys! Jason Witten as much as I like him he needs to go along with the rest of these guys. Your right! The problem with Dallas and most fans is they dont know when to let a player walk. These guys all reach a point where they are wearing down and have a lot of miles on thier body but instead of trading a guy that can produce they restructure.