Nearly 40% of our salary cap is going to underperformers

Galian Beast

Reaction score
You forgot to add in the players not even on the roster that count against the cap. Romo almost 8.9 mil, Thorton 2.5 mil, Carroll 2 mil. This team is always salary cap issues. I wanted to see them trade Tyron Smith away 2 years ago because of his contract and back problems. Am I the only one that saw that coming! But hey Ive also been saying we are wasting our time with Garrett!
I dont like Jerry restructuring contracts, it never works out to benefit the Cowboys! Jason Witten as much as I like him he needs to go along with the rest of these guys. Your right! The problem with Dallas and most fans is they dont know when to let a player walk. These guys all reach a point where they are wearing down and have a lot of miles on thier body but instead of trading a guy that can produce they restructure.

It's much better to let a player go a couple years too early than a couple years too late. The fact that people don't even look at the player's trending value astonishes me. It's one of the things that makes the Patriots so successful.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Tyron Smith - 10.37%
Dez Bryant - 9.75%
Tyrone Crawford - 5.38%
Jason Witten - 3.84%
Orlando Scandrick - 3.12%
Terrance Williams - 2.81%
Benson Mayowa - 2.27%

I hate to put Tyron Smith on a list of underperformers because that isn't the whole story, but the truth is, his inability to stay healthy is a problem that needs to be highlighted. As I discussed before, he isn't going to get healthier. You now can not expect him to play a full 16 game season, let alone an additional run into the playoffs...

Anyways, I digress, the rest of the list is less controversial. My point is that nearly 40 percent of your cap is held up by 6-7 players, some of whom aren't even good players, let alone great. I would be fine with moving on from all of these players. I don't see any of them as long-term options going forward. Logic dictates that they should be moved on from sooner rather than later.
Beast do you just dream up ill advised threads
here's some LT that arent nearly the tackle Smith is some older and just as expensive.
LT's are very hard to come by; http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/02/5-left-tackles-trade-block/

Last edited:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Instead of griping about Smith's 10%, how about James Hanna's 2.07? It is bad contracts like this that hurt far worse than those for an elite player.

And just for kicks, here are other top veteran LT %:

Andrew Whitworth - 8.9
Terron Armstead - 8.79
Trent Williams - 8.8

If Dallas does not pay him, another team would. Pick your battles.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
agenda, its whats for dinner.

Who was our stable LT before Smith? Can you name those compared to Smith right now, bad back and all? Lets see what the new coach does with him,

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Tyron Smith - 10.37%
Dez Bryant - 9.75%
Tyrone Crawford - 5.38%
Jason Witten - 3.84%
Orlando Scandrick - 3.12%
Terrance Williams - 2.81%
Benson Mayowa - 2.27%

I hate to put Tyron Smith on a list of underperformers because that isn't the whole story, but the truth is, his inability to stay healthy is a problem that needs to be highlighted. As I discussed before, he isn't going to get healthier. You now can not expect him to play a full 16 game season, let alone an additional run into the playoffs...

Anyways, I digress, the rest of the list is less controversial. My point is that nearly 40 percent of your cap is held up by 6-7 players, some of whom aren't even good players, let alone great. I would be fine with moving on from all of these players. I don't see any of them as long-term options going forward. Logic dictates that they should be moved on from sooner rather than later.
This is misleading. Smith , Dez and Witten which make up about 25% of this 40% have been great. Just not as great recently. I think it’s reasonable to explain their Salary. At least up until now.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Smith has missed 6 games in 2 seasons, he's been hobbled in more. If he is going to be cited as an excuse for why the team doesn't win games despite being one of our most expensive players, that is a clue that it's time to look for alternatives.

People would suggest that we just need to get a swing tackle... That isn't that easy. How many teams in the NFL don't have a great left tackle or even a starting caliber left tackle? But you want to somehow find one who can back up Smith? At what cost? We still have holes at a number of other positions on offense and defense.

We're talking a legit top 5, maybe 3 LT in the league missing an average 3 games over last 2 seasons and you wanna replace,,, him with an unknown?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Ty doesn’t underperform, he misses games due to injury. Not the samething.

Now Dez leading the league in dropped passes is underperforming...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Who was our stable LT before Smith? Can you name those compared to Smith right now, bad back and all? Lets see what the new coach does with him,
Flozell Adams was a good, not great, LT.

i-dont-know-shrug-gif-7.gif

diefree666

Reaction score
Flozell Adams was a good, not great, LT.

i-dont-know-shrug-gif-7.gif
The Hotel was a top 10 LT most of his career so he was better than good; he was very good. Did make a couple of Pro Bowls when that still meant a little.
Now he is NOT in the same class as Tyron who if he can keep up for a couple more years has a good shot at the HOF.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Tyrone Crawford at 5% is a far greater concern than Tyron Smith at 10%.

Tyron when healthy is the best LT in the game.

Tyrone Crawford is the definition of JAG whose production should be replaced by a mid round draft pick making less than a million per year.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Lol at Tyron Smith in the underperformed category. I’ll have what you’re having.
I’m sure there’s a laundry list of under performers on every team that did not win the Super Bowl. Some of the concerns of our uber-realists in here have become beyond ridiculous.

Sydla

Reaction score
Everyone has bad contracts.

The Eagles won the SB and they have some serious cap space used for Peters (like Smith, injured), Vinny Curry (decent but not great DE), Kendricks (decent, not great LB).

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
40% to under performers.

So that means 60% of the contracts are good to go.

Has to be an improvement compared to years ago when Jerry was spending big bucks bringing in players in the FA that were either over priced or past their primes or both.

Thanks for the good news, although I am sure that was not what you were going for with your post.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Everyone has bad contracts.

The Eagles won the SB and they have some serious cap space used for Peters (like Smith, injured), Vinny Curry (decent but not great DE), Kendricks (decent, not great LB).

Good point Sydla.

There is no salary cap for coaches.......