Nearly 40% of our salary cap is going to underperformers

diefree666

Reaction score
I’m sure there’s a laundry list of under performers on every team that did not win the Super Bowl. Some of the concerns of our uber-realists in here have become beyond ridiculous.
if you are not concerned about Tyron's back then you are living in LA LA land

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know why the Dallas medical staff isn't considering some kind of proactive surgery for Tyron's disc problems. Advanced PT and reconditioning would at least give him a chance to perform at consistent levels.

diefree666

Reaction score
I don't know why the Dallas medical staff isn't considering some kind of proactive surgery for Tyron's disc problems. Advanced PT and reconditioning would at least give him a chance to perform at consistent levels.
wish we had some real data on other players with Tryon's specific problem so we had a better baseline to compare

but that info is really hard to find

diefree666

Reaction score
So, if Tyron is on the list, shouldn't Sean Lee make the list? No one is more injury prone than he is...
well we did work on his contract so that we were somewhat financially protected against injuries I agree that he should be on the list; since like when Tyron was not playing when Lee was not playing the effect was to say the least dramatic. And that is the key: we need replacements for both since sooner or later both will be gone; and frankly with Tyron that looks like sooner and Lee is over 30

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wish we had some real data on other players with Tryon's specific problem so we had a better baseline to compare

but that info is really hard to find
Most likely it is hard to find, but having had the surgery myself, wow, what a difference. Having said that, I am not a premier offense tackle trying to stop angry gorillas from trashing my QB and RB. Invasive surgery on the spinal column is the last option. Maybe they are just hoping for the best, but backs do not get better even with PT if you keep repeating the same behavior.

Aven8

Reaction score
You should have left Tyron off this list as the mob has turned this thread around. But I agree with the rest of this list. I have no idea why we extended Witt last year, was just a weird move. I'm ok with Oscan and his salary.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Tyron Smith - 10.37%
Dez Bryant - 9.75%
Tyrone Crawford - 5.38%
Jason Witten - 3.84%
Orlando Scandrick - 3.12%
Terrance Williams - 2.81%
Benson Mayowa - 2.27%

I hate to put Tyron Smith on a list of underperformers because that isn't the whole story, but the truth is, his inability to stay healthy is a problem that needs to be highlighted. As I discussed before, he isn't going to get healthier. You now can not expect him to play a full 16 game season, let alone an additional run into the playoffs...

Anyways, I digress, the rest of the list is less controversial. My point is that nearly 40 percent of your cap is held up by 6-7 players, some of whom aren't even good players, let alone great. I would be fine with moving on from all of these players. I don't see any of them as long-term options going forward. Logic dictates that they should be moved on from sooner rather than later.
I wouldn’t put any pass catcher on that list with the QB we have.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't think I'd include Smith...yet, GB
But it's your list

Dez belongs based on salary, yes.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Interesting Smith is on this for inability to stay healthy but Sean Lee isn't.........
You mean the Sean Lee that led the team in both solo and assisted tackles by a mile?
That guy?

I wouldn't have Smith on there either, but with Lee, what are you insinuating exactly?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Backs don't get better, they only get worse. Smith has not gotten better over the last couple of years. He will only get worse. This is just common sense.

Why would anyone ever do therapy, have surgery or even rest if a back cannot get better?

Sydla

Reaction score
Backs don't get better, they only get worse. Smith has not gotten better over the last couple of years. He will only get worse. This is just common sense.

Is it?

Was injured playing football in 1995. I got a helmet to the lower back. 5 months later, I started to experience numbness at times and discomfort working down my left leg. Herniated disc. I had surgery to remove part of the disc and was back to playing sports, etc. Never experienced the issues I had in my leg again other than the occasional day of discomfort in the other leg (part of the disc was left in my spine so if I sit or sleep oddly for a long period, that part of the disc could shift and pinch the nerve). But that's rare when that happens.

So yes, it is possible that Smith's back could get better with the right treatment or surgery, at least for his playing career.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tyron Smith - 10.37%
Dez Bryant - 9.75%
Tyrone Crawford - 5.38%
Jason Witten - 3.84%
Benson Mayowa - 2.27%

I hate to put Tyron Smith on a list of underperformers because that isn't the whole story, but the truth is, his inability to stay healthy is a problem that needs to be highlighted. As I discussed before, he isn't going to get healthier. You now can not expect him to play a full 16 game season, let alone an additional run into the playoffs...

Anyways, I digress, the rest of the list is less controversial. My point is that nearly 40 percent of your cap is held up by 6-7 players, some of whom aren't even good players, let alone great. I would be fine with moving on from all of these players. I don't see any of them as long-term options going forward. Logic dictates that they should be moved on from sooner rather than later.
This is misleading.

It should be based on either average salary or 2018 salary.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Tyron Smith - 10.37%
Dez Bryant - 9.75%
Tyrone Crawford - 5.38%
Jason Witten - 3.84%
Benson Mayowa - 2.27%

If you had said, "fine moving on from all of these players except Smith" I would be more on board. I completely agree about your concerns regarding his back but you can't just move on from an All World Left Tackle with that kind of contract until you have exhausted every opportunity. As soon as you gave him that deal, you were married to him "for better or for worse". The others you can trade, restructure or release.

phildadon86

Reaction score
So I guess you didn't watch this season? DLaw had his best year and had his second back surgery when again?

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Tyrons back IS a big problem for this team. Great player but it's terrible he's so young with a back problem

ShiningStar

Reaction score
The Hotel was a top 10 LT most of his career so he was better than good; he was very good. Did make a couple of Pro Bowls when that still meant a little.
Now he is NOT in the same class as Tyron who if he can keep up for a couple more years has a good shot at the HOF.

Flozell was good, dont forget the last couple, when he was replaced no one remembered him. He also got flags at the wrong time as well. Tyron is light years better than Flozell and Flo was good, and EVEN that is hard to find.