Need to trust Zimmer to fix their run defense

Cowboyny

Reaction score
True, with a caveat that I’ll get to…

The tougher part of the schedule is early on (six of the final nine are at home) and many figured this team needed time to gel given the amount of rookies and second year guys that are basically rookies that they are counting on….that’s fair.

But they can’t squeak into the playoffs and expect to call the season a success overall. If you don’t win your division, there’s almost no chance of a home game, and I just can’t see this team getting to even an NFC final without one.

If they don’t get that far, how it is called progress? Are they building from here? Was this a rebuild/reset year that they didn’t want to admit? Will they then be willing to add the necessary pieces other than using the draft? Is there ANY PLAN at all??

It looks to me as if “secret sauce” is about signing your own stars for big money, and filling in the gaps with rookies and cooked veterans. It’s been more than proven to not work, and gets tougher as you draft lower.

I dunno, maybe a new coach demands change in FO philosophy, but I doubt that person is hired as Stephen and Jerry’s ideas couldn’t possibly be wrong. I mean, who is smarter than them?
I have seen teams get hot late and go on runs, even on the road. Most important thing is to play your best football late and get into the playoffs, where anything can happen!

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This game will tell is a lot about the team, facing the most physical run team in the league. You are right could be a disaster as the matchup looks ugly.
i promised leadership and Zoners no more PLATS this season....but i believe Zimmer can correct many of our miscues.....and we have been good bouncing back from bad loss

but we are going against super desperate talented 0-2 Ravens team....i still believe we can win

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Cognitive abilities and mental acuity decline rapidly in your 60s. It's just a fact. That's why the mandatory retirement age for airline pilots is 65. Zimmer is pushing 70. The NFL is a young man's game, even on the coaching side, and the game has passed Zimmer by. Jerry knew this when he let go of Coach Landry, who was 64.

There are only 5 head coaches in the NFL 60 or older. Only Andy Reid is 65+
mr Cyber---i am not ready at all to say game has passed Zimmer by....plus first 4 games regular season not good to over-judge anyone because of preseason limits they put on starters

not to be injured which severely effects chemistry...lets give Zimmer some more games first?....just a thought...no arguements

Cowboyny

Reaction score
i promised leadership and Zoners no more PLATS this season....but i believe Zimmer can correct many of our miscues.....and we have been good bouncing back from bad loss

but we are going against super desperate talented 0-2 Ravens team....i still believe we can win
If they want to be considered serious contenders, these are the games they have to win!

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Having a good run defense isn't too difficult. There are many things a DC can do to help out stopping the run. Clearly you can play more men inside the box, play bigger alignments, etc. However, to have an effective run defense cannot be undisciplined, beaten up at the point of attack and tackle poorly.

Yes, we all know there are personnel issues, especially inside at the DT position, but the Edge lineman, including DLaw have struggled against the outside zone runs for years. Our linebackers have really struggled to get off blocks, sure better DT's could help, but they need to be a better job of reading and reacting before a hat gets on them.

Jerry/Stephen have to give Zimmer the necessary resources if he doesn't have the right players to run his scheme. If some veterans continue to struggle with the fundamentals, Zimmer will not put up with it, like Dan Quinn did for years.

Zimmer has a strong track record of having good, disciplined defenses, we have to trust he will find some solutions to least make the run defense hold up.
Where are these players supposed to come from, it’s over.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Never mind if WE can trust Zim, do the players? That’s the most important. Who cares what we think. At this point, it remains to be seen.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
We were embarrassed last week -- there's no getting away from that. Let's see whether or not we rebound defensively enough to change things on defense and play better on offense, as well. If this team can't or won't respond much better, we'll know for sure that the season is in trouble. The FO should have been more actively trying to supplement their weaknesses with better talent in the offseason. Now, they're paying the price. If anyone or anything is to blame, the FO's inactivity in the offseason to correct this team's weaknesses was tragic -- not that it's anything new. It's shameful.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Fixing the run D for the Cowboys has been difficult because they don’t have the players upfront especially at DT and their undersized LB’s can’t get off blocks. We’re built to pass rush, not stop the run. Acting like this is an easy fix by a DC is silly.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Having a good run defense isn't too difficult. There are many things a DC can do to help out stopping the run. Clearly you can play more men inside the box, play bigger alignments, etc. However, to have an effective run defense cannot be undisciplined, beaten up at the point of attack and tackle poorly.

Yes, we all know there are personnel issues, especially inside at the DT position, but the Edge lineman, including DLaw have struggled against the outside zone runs for years. Our linebackers have really struggled to get off blocks, sure better DT's could help, but they need to be a better job of reading and reacting before a hat gets on them.

Jerry/Stephen have to give Zimmer the necessary resources if he doesn't have the right players to run his scheme. If some veterans continue to struggle with the fundamentals, Zimmer will not put up with it, like Dan Quinn did for years.

Zimmer has a strong track record of having good, disciplined defenses, we have to trust he will find some solutions to least make the run defense hold up.
Move Parsona to LB...

Nobody can beat him to the edge and he is big at LB (250+).

Creeper

Reaction score

We do not have the players to fix the run defense. I am sure it can improve for a game but a lasting solution will require some new personnel.

kskboys

Reaction score
I have seen teams get hot late and go on runs, even on the road. Most important thing is to play your best football late and get into the playoffs, where anything can happen!
Unless your DT's suck balls, then no, anything cannot happen.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Reading thru the thread…speaking of age, Jerry will proudly boast how he talked Sean Payton (Oak) and Jason Garrett (Balt) out of leaving Dallas for what didn’t seem to be an ideal situation for a first HC job.

Why wouldn’t someone offer that advice to up and comers around the league? Dallas is not at all an ideal work environment. You have no control, are constantly undermined, FO doesn’t sign free agents, the stars are coddled and have a direct line to the owner, etc, etc, etc……

So I’m not so sure it’s about Jerry being unwilling to hire a younger HC vs the ones with choices don’t necessarily want to work in Dallas.

Expect the next HC to be someone that no one else would hire, like Rex Ryan.

Edit….how about the Ravens actually wanted to hire Garrett over Harbaugh. Just wow.

kskboys

Reaction score
Reading thru the thread…speaking of age, Jerry will proudly boast how he talked Sean Payton (Oak) and Jason Garrett (Balt) out of leaving Dallas for what didn’t seem to be an ideal situation for a first HC job.

Why wouldn’t someone offer that advice to up and comers around the league? Dallas is not at all an ideal work environment. You have no control, are constantly undermined, FO doesn’t sign free agents, the stars are coddled and have a direct line to the owner, etc, etc, etc……

So I’m not so sure it’s about Jerry being unwilling to hire a younger HC vs the ones with choices don’t necessarily want to work in Dallas.

Expect the next HC to be someone that no one else would hire, like Rex Ryan.
That's been the MO!!!

Our only hope for a young HC is that Jerry accidentally stumbles upon a youngster who has the talent to be a topflight HC.

kskboys

Reaction score
Doesn’t mean they can go get one via trade
Who? And do you really think Jerry would give up top resources to get one? It would be a major major change in what he does. And then add in that any DT that is what we need would come w/ a huge salary cap hit. Where do you think we'd get the salary cap room for it?

fivetwos

Reaction score
That's been the MO!!!

Our only hope for a young HC is that Jerry accidentally stumbles upon a youngster who has the talent to be a topflight HC.
Thats not gonna happen at least until Jerry is gone and little Stevie relents to the fan and media scrutiny over the drought that’ll likely be pushing 40 years by that time.

I’ve been watching this act for too long to be convinced that they can build a winning roster given the way they go about it. Drafting as well as they need to is impossible.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Who? And do you really think Jerry would give up top resources to get one? It would be a major major change in what he does. And then add in that any DT that is what we need would come w/ a huge salary cap hit. Where do you think we'd get the salary cap room for it?
We have the cap room and the draft capital if we decided to make a move.