Twitter: Netflix wins bid for 10-episode docu-series on Jerry Jones/90's Cowboys

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The owner we should truly hold responsible is Bum Bright. He had a hard on for Landry since part of his agreement when purchasing the Cowboys was he couldn’t fire the only HC we’d ever had. Only Tex could.

And in the end Bum chose the lowest bid for two reasons . One because he knew the new owner wanted his own HC. And owner Buss of the Lakers and Carter of the Mavericks would have to sell their major interest in respective NBA clubs before being approved. Bum was facing personal bankruptcies due to the Savings and Loans fallout and needed cash .

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Wonder if the $50M goes to Jerry personally, the Cowboys, or NFL?
To whoever put it together. Like the Last Dance, Jordan doesn’t get that money; those dudes who produced and directed it did. The Jerry article makes it sound like the docu series is either in production or already done, and they were only bidding on who could put their intro logo at the beginning.

But the production company could very well be the NFL themselves

Diehardblues

Reaction score
To whoever put it together. Like the Last Dance, Jordan doesn’t get that money; those dudes who produced and directed it did. The Jerry article makes it sound like the docu series is either in production or already done, and they were only bidding on who could put their intro logo at the beginning.

It’s claiming never seen before cuts from The Triplets so I’m assuming this is a production that was made by or for the Cowboys exclusively .

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Netflix also had The Last Dance on the 90’s Chicago Bulls which was a TERRIFIC series. I hope it’s the same filmmakers. Looking forward to it!

This is the team I grew up on. A lot of folks here are Staubach-Landry, but for me, the Cowboys will always be Jimmy & Jerry, Triplets, 4-3 Pass Rush, NFC East Dominance, and all the great memories.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Apparently it’s already completed. This was just a bidding war for the rights. Reportedly ESPN and Amazon also were bidding.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

That’s how a majority of streaming TV is made. I would agree that there might be a filter, but Michael Jordan was highly involved in The Last Dance, and they didn’t pull any punches.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Those six years before Jones bought the team we’re definitely the glory days.

A lot of fans forget that the boys were a dumpster fire.
They had set a record of consecutive winning seasons that still stands. Some down time is expected for even the best managed franchises.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If it's a real documentary I would imagine there is gonna be a lot of negative stuff as well...the White House, Irvin, Jerry/Jimmy feud, Jerry's affairs, ESmith's contract dispute, etc....so should be very interesting if that is the case. And then the positive aspect of winning through adversity. With Switzer practically putting the powerhouse team on auto-pilot and should have won back to back. We always knew this might wind up on a 30 for 30 and instead its a Netflix series. As I said, if it is unbiased, this has the makings of a pretty good series. Must watch TV.
Remember this is a documentary on the 90’s . And the success of that team. I don’t expect it to focus on the aftermath.

I’d expect it to be focused on the amazing turnaround and building of first team to win 3 SB’s in 4 years. Pretty much everything we already know.

Last edited:

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
It’s claiming never seen before cuts from The Triplets so I’m assuming this is a production that was made by or for the Cowboys exclusively .
Yeah, there’s definitely at least footage that’s been collected, they probably just need to splice it together with a few interviews at worst

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Netflix Acquires Rights to Jerry Jones Documentary Series, per Report

By Joseph Salvador | Sports Illustrated
July 3, 2023

The new series will focus on the franchise in the 90s and its ascension to living up to the title of “America’s Team.” It will also feature “never-seen footage and interviews” from the likes of all-time greats like Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin and Emmitt Smith.

Read more

In my opinion, the series will be 90% - 100% based upon Jerry Jones' purchase of the franchise in February 1989 through Super Bowl XXX in January 1996. The franchise decline through the end of the decade will likely be either glossed over or omitted entirely. The Jones/Jimmy Johnson divorce may also be glossed over as well.

It reads strictly like a promotional piece for the National Football League. Perhaps the league is exploring ways to produce streaming content that is compatible or even separate from NFL Network.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Netflix also had The Last Dance on the 90’s Chicago Bulls which was a TERRIFIC series. I hope it’s the same filmmakers. Looking forward to it!

This is the team I grew up on. A lot of folks here are Staubach-Landry, but for me, the Cowboys will always be Jimmy & Jerry, Triplets, 4-3 Pass Rush, NFC East Dominance, and all the great memories.
The Last Dance really ticked off Scottie Pippen, which has led to a falling out between him and Michael Jordan.

EGTuna

Reaction score
If Jerry has any editorial control, then I’ll pass.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Jerry has any editorial control, then I’ll pass.
Jones has likely had some input as an owner in the format of the documentary. Probably significant input. And the last thing Jones prefers is a negative spotlight shining solely on himself.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jones has likely had some input as an owner in the format of the documentary. Probably significant input. And the last thing Jones prefers is a negative spotlight shining solely on himself.
Yep, apparently the documentary is focused on him , his purchase of the Cowboys , their turnaround building the team of the 90’s and the success winning 3 SB’s in 4 years .

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Imagine doing something nearly 30 years ago and still making millions off of if.
Loooooooooooooooooool somehow we fall for it every year. It kills me when new players say we have a winning culture history etc lol