New 4th and 15 onside kick rule?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Otherwise why not just end the game at the 2 minute warning? And games that are back and forth the entire game deserve for the team to have a chance.

It’s not stealing if you can execute. Teams that give up 4th and 15 deserve to lose.

The last sentence isn’t really true though is it? I mean that’s a matter of perception.

One could easily counter by saying, teams that are down by 2 scores with less than 2 minutes to play and no timeouts, deserve to lose.

Because that’s the only time something like this is even necessary. If you are down by 2 scores with 2 minutes to go and 3 timeouts, and have the ball. You’re still in the game without even needing an onside kick. If you can score quickly without using your timeouts and saving the timeouts for your defense.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Something has to change. It's virtually impossible to recover an onsides kick with today's rules in place.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/24/john-mara-is-only-competition-committee-member-opposed-to-onside-kick-alternative/

This is a terrible idea, and Dallas would have a huge disadvantage if passed. This favors teams with elite quarterbacks HUGELY.

Imagine Aaron Rodgers against the Dolphins. He'd have a 80% chance of converting the inside kick. Lol

Special teams should determine onside kicks, not quarterbacks.

Bad idea.

While we're at it, why don't we make all punts Hail Marys?

CPanther95

Reaction score
If they hadn't gotten rid of playing defense in the NFL, teams would still have a way to get the ball back.

conner01

Reaction score
What I don’t like is say you are up 10. The other team drives down and you hold them to a FG
You are up 7 so you don’t get the ball back, they get one shot at 4th and 15
Say they don’t make it but stop you 3 and out
You punt they drive down get another FG
Then they get another shot at 4th and 15 again
No, not even close to the same thing.
no it’s not
In most cases the defense will have been on the field for a scoring drive, have to come back and defend 4th and 15 and if it’s converted defend another drive late in the game
Huge disadvantage to the team in the lead

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I don’t like is say you are up 10. The other team drives down and you hold them to a FG

no it’s not
In most cases the defense will have been on the field for a scoring drive, have to come back and defend 4th and 15 and if it’s converted defend another drive late in the game

That wasn’t what I was referring to.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This just goes to show defense will win championships. This definitely plays to the offenses favor. That's why they only can do it in the fourth quarter

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Is it going to pass for 15 yards to make it a first down start inside the 20. With the odds of making it to the 50-yard line why won't you take the chance

Jipper

Reaction score

no it’s not

the rule would only allow for it to be used 1 time so your scenario is not accurate

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I understand but the dilemma the league faces is if they don’t take action litigation could end the league sooner than fans leaving it.

And why there has to be a balance in implementing rules that can at least present a perception they are attempting to protect the players while not destroying the integrity of the game for the fans.

It’s a tough balance but the league couldn’t continue their course with all of the new scientific evidence and litigation they’ve already incurred.

This is true to a point but some forget that the league won one of those cases when the judge ruled even though there are risks, players accept those risks when they sign their contracts. He said it's just like the deep sea commercial fishermen that have a very dangerous job and they accept the risks when they decide to work on those ships. They can't stop all accidents or deaths with the fishermen unless they make commercial fishing illegal.

If the league continues it's path of drastically changing the game, as I said before they will change it right into bankruptcy. Here's a couple of good examples. There was a time when the Pro Bowl was mostly played like regular a season game. The only difference was the defense could only send a single LB to blitz and only on 3rd down. Then the Pro Bowl was watched by most, now the viewership is so so low there's talk of doing away with the actual game and do the second example. That is there used to be a off season competition where NFL players competed in different events like the 100 yard dash, a agility course, passing and weight lifting. This was watched for a couple of seasons but because these events were done in late winter and early spring but not aired until the summer for 4 weekends , the outcomes started to get leaked out and people decide being summer and knowing who won what there were things they wanted to do outside and the viewership drop dramatically and there went the NFL competition.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is true to a point but some forget that the league won one of those cases when the judge ruled even though there are risks, players accept those risks when they sign their contracts. He said it's just like the deep sea commercial fishermen that have a very dangerous job and they accept the risks when they decide to work on those ships. They can't stop all accidents or deaths with the fishermen unless they make commercial fishing illegal.

If the league continues it's path of drastically changing the game, as I said before they will change it right into bankruptcy. Here's a couple of good examples. There was a time when the Pro Bowl was mostly played like regular a season game. The only difference was the defense could only send a single LB to blitz and only on 3rd down. Then the Pro Bowl was watched by most, now the viewership is so so low there's talk of doing away with the actual game and do the second example. That is there used to be a off season competition where NFL players competed in different events like the 100 yard dash, a agility course, passing and weight lifting. This was watched for a couple of seasons but because these events were done in late winter and early spring but not aired until the summer for 4 weekends , the outcomes started to get leaked out and people decide being summer and knowing who won what there were things they wanted to do outside and the viewership drop dramatically and there went the NFL competition.
Like I said that’s the balance the league must undertake. Obviously the decisions they’ve made hasn’t effected their revenue as much as more potential lawsuits voted have without taking action not to mention whatever legislative action could be taken.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Like I said that’s the balance the league must undertake. Obviously the decisions they’ve made this hasn’t effected their revenue as much as more potential lawsuits voted have without taking action.

I agree if the league were to lose several law suites it would be crippling, but I'm not so sure they would lose that many after a judge set precedence with his ruling. They could lose and be a quicker end to the league or it could go the way I said and they change themselves into the end. Either way I can see an end for the NFL. It won't be tomorrow or next year, but I think that day will come. I'm hoping that neither way gets here, but it could.