Twitter: New catch rule going into effect

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Troll, Eagles fan, NFL apologist. I get called all these things by unhinged catch theorists who get pinned trying to promote a phony CONSPIRACY! with zero backing in the sports world other than from their own fingertips.

And now, quietly and peacefully ... kneel to Zod.

I'm not sure the people you are arguing against are promoting a conspiracy. I think they truly believe the rule makes the Dez drop a catch. I don't agree with them but I don't think they are looking at it from a conspiracy perspective like the others on the DC.com approached it.

I really can't believe you guys haven't come to the conclusion it is simply time to agree to disagree yet. You're all intelligent people. It's time to drop it and realize neither side is going to change their beliefs on the subject and there is no way to win.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I'm not sure the people you are arguing against are promoting a conspiracy. I think they truly believe the rule makes the Dez drop a catch. I don't agree with them but I don't think they are looking at it from a conspiracy perspective like the others on the DC.com approached it.

I really can't believe you guys haven't come to the conclusion it is simply time to agree to disagree yet. You're all intelligent people. It's time to drop it and realize neither side is going to change their beliefs on the subject and there is no way to win.
They did drop it. None could defend this explanation of the rules by Blandino that percy posted http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...00000246515/Calvin-Johnson-rule-strikes-again
One admitted this “seems to indicate” the catch process could be completed while going to the ground.
One said the rules changed after the 2013 season and after this video was made yet offered no proof at all. In fact refused to dispute it when others said he was making that up.
The other acted like a coward and tried to go off on another of many tangents in a sad attempt to save face. That one is pitiful. Literally we should all pity him.
Blandino from the video:
“This is something we’ve worked really hard at to educate people, in terms of the catch process.”

“Let’s look at the play from week one, the Minn. Det. Game where Calvin is GOING TO THE GROUND in the PROCESS of MAKING THE CATCH.

The process of the catch is a 3 part process-control, 2 feet down, and then have the ball long enough to perform an act common to the game. If you can perform all 3 parts, in that order, you HAVE a catch. If not AND you’re GOING TO THE GROUND you must control the ball when you hit the ground. Watch what happens when Calvin hits the ground, the ball comes loose. He did not have BOTH FEET DOWN prior to THE REACH for the goaline SO this is all one process. This is an incomplete pass.”

Last edited:

BlindFaith

Reaction score
It's a little late. Sheesh. What would have been ruled a catch in 1960 should be ruled one today. In their genius wisdom, the NFL over complicated things.
They did up until 1998. When instant replay, HD and 100 camera angles became prevalent, plays started being ruled with more scrutiny. So the rules changed.

BlindFaith

Reaction score

No, they believe that the rule changed in meaning and application in 2015. Even though the NFL has said it was just a clarification. That's a conspiracy.

We've also heard that it was a PR move across the entire NFL to refute that Dez actually caught the ball. So another conspiracy.

When actually it's just some fans not knowing the difference between going to the moon and landing on the moon.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

BlindFaith covered the conspiracy part above. All I'm asking is if the rule changed hugely as they claim, then produce additional support that says it did. This play was a huge controversy so the entire sports world was watching when they re-did the language in the rule. If the NFL changed it as they claimed then surely there'd be additional support in the form of reporters or articles stating so. However, I have multiple articles saying the exact opposite, and from major media outlets including the DC site itself. So if folks want to knowingly peddle a lie, then I see no problem with shining a light on it. Those same folks claim to want "the truth" but it appears they only want the convenient kind that says "we wuz robbed, I tells ya" to get the emotional riled up. I just happen to like meeting emotion with logic to see what happens.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Not only did he see it, he drew this (perfectly natural) conclusion from it...

If nothing else, it confirms that Blandino was consistent across multiple calls. First, to your question, it looks like they determine going to the ground just before the receiver hits the ground to see if those Article 3 requirements have been satisfied (control, 2 feet, football move) prior. As Blandino says in the video you posted, if that doesn't happen in that order and you're going to the ground, the ball must survive impact... Blandino clearly states that Dez is not a runner and hasn't established possession due to lack of a football move so he cannot be down by contact... Again, back to the video you posted, Blandino gives the exact same explanation in describing Johnson's no catch. It's consistent. So it was no reach from Blandino, no reach from Pereira, the videos you yourself produced show the difference in reaches. No reach = no catch unless the ball survives the ground.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

LOL. Now the leader of all catch theorists is appealing to an underling for help. Never thought I'd see this day.

So again, do you have additional support for your false theory that the rule changed in essence (hugely in your words) from 2014 to 2015 instead of just clarifying the language? I have several things that say it didn't change. Need me to post them again? There might even be a new one for variety's sake.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Yes. That is perfectly natural for him. I’m once again amazed by this guy.

Blandino says very clearly Calvin’s reach would’ve completed the process had he gotten two feet down prior to it.

I have to now wonder, even more, if this is all an act by him.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
No, they believe that the rule changed in meaning and application in 2015. Even though the NFL has said it was just a clarification. That's a conspiracy.

We've also heard that it was a PR move across the entire NFL to refute that Dez actually caught the ball. So another conspiracy.

When actually it's just some fans not knowing the difference between going to the moon and landing on the moon.
The difference in “they” believing the rule changed is blindzebra and percy provided evidence to back up their claim the rule changed prior to 2015. One being the rules posted together with different phrases in them. You know like “up right long enough” and “time to perform a football move”. Two things you amazingly see as the same.

While you claimed the rules changed prior to 2014 in an attempt to explain away Blandino’s tutorial explaining the catch process which completely undermined your entire misguided argument. Yet you offered no proof whatsoever this aver occurred and, taking a page from your underly, you ducked out of the debate on a low note and now change the debate to whether or not the rule changed rather than if it should’ve been ruled a catch.

Remember when you thought the 3 part process could’nt be completed while going to the ground? That was fun.

Blandino:
“This is something we’ve worked really hard at to educate people, in terms of the catch process.”

“Let’s look at the play from week one, the Minn. Det. Game where Calvin is GOING TO THE GROUND in the PROCESS of MAKING THE CATCH.

The process of the catch is a 3 part process-control, 2 feet down, and then have the ball long enough to perform an act common to the game. If you can perform all 3 parts, in that order, you HAVE a catch. If not AND you’re GOING TO THE GROUND you must control the ball when you hit the ground. Watch what happens when Calvin hits the ground, the ball comes loose. He did not have BOTH FEET DOWN prior to THE REACH for the goaline SO this is all one process. This is an incomplete pass.

glimmerman

Reaction score
C’mon man let it go! We don’t need to turn this into yet another Dez catch cry fest. You’re dragging it back up by continuing to cry over the ruling. The rule is being changed.
It’s my party and I will cry if I want to..

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s my party and I will cry if I want to..

You’re the only one crying it’s been a cry fest since the season ended. If this season we had wasn’t bad enough some keep wanting to rehash a bad memory from 3 years ago.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Actually I cried more about the murray fumble.

Don’t know why because the Cowboys ended up getting the ball back and scoring a TD to take a 20-13 lead. If you want to cry about something cry about our defenses inability to pressure a hobbling Rodgers in the fourth quarter. That’s what cost us the game.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
You already described the rule change yourself.

I know you understand how the rule worked before 2015, because you described it perfectly in January.

This is you saying that they determine "going to the ground" based on completion of the catch process (Article 3), and that the player could complete the catch process up until "just before he hits the ground"...

"It looks like they determine going to the ground just before the receiver hits the ground to see if those Article 3 requirements have been satisfied (control, 2 feet, football move) prior."

Here's you making it clear that Blandino was consistent in explaining the rule that was in place in 2013-14...

"Again, back to the video you posted, Blandino gives the exact same explanation in describing Johnson's no catch. It's consistent. So it was no reach from Blandino, no reach from Pereira, the videos you yourself produced show the difference in reaches. No reach = no catch unless the ball survives the ground."

Now you're claiming the rule never changed, and that Dez in 2014 (or Johnson in 2013) could not have completed the catch process with a football move while falling, because "going to the ground" has always trumped the catch process. Even though you made it clear that Blandino was consistent with his 2013-14 explanations that "going to the ground" was based on the catch process.

blindzebra

Reaction score
You already described the rule change yourself.

I know you understand how the rule worked before 2015, because you described it perfectly in January.

This is you saying that they determine "going to the ground" based on completion of the catch process (Article 3), and that the player could complete the catch process up until "just before he hits the ground"...

Here's you making it clear that Blandino was consistent in explaining the rule that was in place in 2013-14...

Now you're claiming the rule never changed, and that Dez in 2014 (or Johnson in 2013) could not have completed the catch process with a football move while falling, because "going to the ground" has always trumped the catch process. Even though you made it clear that Blandino was consistent with his 2013-14 explanations that "going to the ground" was based on the catch process.
Can't wait to see how he tries to worm his way out of that. He will most likely post the same three articles he claims prove something.:lmao2:

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Blandino says very clearly Calvin’s reach would’ve completed the process had he gotten two feet down prior to it.
And he agrees. In other words, he understood what Blandino said in that video, and he reached the same conclusion that almost everybody else has -- that if the player completed the catch process, even while falling, the player didn't have to maintain possession when he hit the ground.

Again, back to the video you posted, Blandino gives the exact same explanation in describing Johnson's no catch. It's consistent. So it was no reach from Blandino, no reach from Pereira, the videos you yourself produced show the difference in reaches. No reach = no catch unless the ball survives the ground.