New Cowboys Controversy

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Spectre;3056300 said:
I'm part Shawnee Native American.
No one has been more discriminated against than my people.
This hot chick in her "Indian" costume offends me.

00755645.detail.a.jpg

From now on, no one can be an "Indian" for Halloween.

Me too. Can you give me her name and whereabouts so that I can correct this injustice personally?

:D

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
zrinkill;3056281 said:
<sigh>

Seriously?

Yea I know it was a poor attempt at sarcasm but I don't get where it came from. I never said the word "racist" one time in this thread. So where did that come from?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Spectre;3056300 said:
I'm part Shawnee Native American.
No one has been more discriminated against than my people.
This hot chick in her "Indian" costume offends me.

00755645.detail.a.jpg

From now on, no one can be an "Indian" for Halloween.

Its OK for me to do it ..... I was "blackface" Custer the most racist man who ever lived for Halloween.

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v210/zrinkill/cster.jpg

;)

P.S. (worst photoshop black face ever)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;3056309 said:
I have some Choctaw in me. I'm offended at that picture as well. She should take that costume off. :D

When I first started reading this post, I got through the first couple of words and thought this was going in a totally different direction.

:laugh2:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I dressed up as a white guy for Halloween and I was offended by it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
rocyaice;3056321 said:
Yea I know it was a poor attempt at sarcasm but I don't get where it came from. I never said the word "racist" one time in this thread. So where did that come from?
He was just giving me some gas man. I didn't take it as anything other than a joke.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Hostile;3056331 said:
He was just giving me some gas man. I didn't take it as anything other than a joke.

You need some else to give you gas? Doesn't your cooking already do that? :laugh2:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hostile;3056313 said:
Reminds me of this video. Try not to put your eyes out.

[youtube]GFGzGfym-7Y[/youtube]

You're doing it wrong!

[youtube]vQObWW06VAM[/youtube]

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3056337 said:
You need some else to give you gas? Doesn't your cooking already do that? :laugh2:

Cooking?

That guy survives off Nyquil and the tears of Commander trolls.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Hostile;3056331 said:

I understand I just thought it was a slight towards me. I never once screamed "racism" and to my knowledge no one else did so why bring racism up is my point.

Spectre

Reaction score
I lol-ed @ Hos's video, zrinkill's "blackface Custer" AND the guy who dressed as a white guy and offended himself.

:laugh2:

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Hostile;3056313 said:
Reminds me of this video. Try not to put your eyes out.

[youtube]GFGzGfym-7Y[/youtube]

Is that Juke on lead guitar and BP on bass? :laugh2:

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3056190 said:
I think that is part of the point being discussed, .. this should not have been a racial issue.

Trust me, if it was I would be the first to condem it, this was not.

Exactly. There is no reason that this should have EVER been a racial issue, or a issue about stereotyping, or any of that. It's a freakin' Halloween party where people are dressed up as other people and such nonesense.

Of course, some how, that becomes about race for some people.

rocyaice;3056206 said:
And that's what it comes down to. I think people understand that its offensive. I think the question if i'm reading correctly is why should someone in there 20's be offended by something that happened 90 years ago.

You've just joined in on the discussion so i'll re-hash something I said. Heidi Klum a white women painted her face black for Halloween and I wasn't offended. Robert Downey Jr. , a white man was a black man in Tropic Thunder. Wasn't offended. You're trying to accuse me of being a racist but no there's no reason to go there.

Oh wow. I Don't know what to say. Come to 2009. Rap has changed. Rappers have changed.

I'm sure the rap game has changed a lot. But unless I completely missed it are there no longer any rappers out there who do gangster rap? Are you saying that no rappers talk about their *****es, hoes, and throw the N word around all through their work? Are you saying that all of that is gone?

I'm not a huge rap person, so I wouldn't know for sure, but I doubt that they've all changed and that it's all gone. I could be wrong though.

And you're likely not a racist person. I wouldn't know but you've went out of your way to make this issue about race, and stereotyping races, and all that nonesense on something that simply shouldn't have ever been about race or anything else like that.

Now to me, and again i could be totally wrong, that means you either like making things about race that have nothing to do with race, and would do this no matter what the situation, or you don't like the fact that a white person dressed up as a black person for Halloween. I can't see any other reason that anyone, anywhere, would have seen those pictures and tried to make any claims about racial issues.

rocyaice;3056222 said:
Did I say any of the above?

You don't have to come right out and say things when you're turning situations into something they're not. Like I said above either you just don't like the fact that a white person did a Halloween costume of a black person or you just like finding the 'racism' in any issue, even when there is clearly nothing racial to be had from the issue.

Those pictures should have NEVER brought about a discussion about race and stereotyping and how a person was wrong for going to a Halloween party dressed up as a specific person from another race. The fact that it was is par for the course with far too many in this world. Seems like everytime you turn around something is being turned into an issue of race that has absolutely nothing to do with race.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
rocyaice;3056348 said:
I understand I just thought it was a slight towards me. I never once screamed "racism" and to my knowledge no one else did so why bring racism up is my point.
Well, let's be honest, the whole reason this is even a topic is because of race. Because a White woman impersonated a black man and darkened her skin to do it. Blackface references are references to race.

In other words, racism is the topic here even if no one is pointing fingers directly at anyone and accusing racism. At least I hope they aren't. It is still the underlying theme of the topic.

Race is a touchy subject. I will be honest with you, I am uncomfortable with the topic. As a White man it is too easy for someone to accuse me of racism because of the color of my skin. I have had it happen too many times to ever be unaware of the tactic.

Let me give you a couple of examples. I caught some school kids trying to remove a piece of a chain link fence to get into an apartment complex rather than go around to the gate. I stopped them. The kid doing it said I was stopping them because he was Mexican. So I started talking to him in Spanish at which I am fluent. He couldn't even speak Spanish and had never even been to Mexico. He isn't a Mexican in my book. He's a teenage malcontent who looked at my skin color and made an assumption about me.

Second one. I used to work security for Sears on their closed circuit TV system to bust shoplifters. Our number 1 theft area at the time was Nintendo games. I caught at least 20 different shoplifters in that section alone. 1 guy was Black. He naturally accused me of racism for arresting him. 1 out of 20 in the highest theft area of the store and I was profiling him. Nuh uh. No way, no shape, no how. My watching him had nothing to do with his skin color. I'd have watched anyone who was looking around to see who was watching him. It's my fault he did try and steal the game? Or maybe he thought the cash register was in the parking lot?

Race is an easy excuse and easy out for far too many people. I don't even see race until someone else points it out to me. I just don't care what someone's skin color is. Never have. I learned a very hard lesson about race when I was 16 and playing in a basketball league in Mexico.

Racism is out there. No doubt about it. The perceptions of it are mixed. I wish it was easy, but it isn't.

The fact remains though that zrinkill was just pulling my leg when he called me a racist. He knew I wouldn't take it wrong.

WarC

Reaction score
Damn dude this is 2009 black face is never cool. Always, always a bad move.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
WarC;3056801 said:
Damn dude this is 2009 black face is never cool. Always, always a bad move.
I'm sure I could dig up something from 1580 that was offensive to my people. Should I get upset about it?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Anyone who is offended by this (or most things in the world) is a pathetic excuses for a human being.

Rackat

Reaction score
I am not amazed that this got to 16 pages. I am amazed that anyone that actually knows and understands what "Black Face" is would even remotely think that this girl was doing "Black Face".

From Wiki:
Blackface is theatrical makeup used by white people to play black people. In the United States, where the practice became popular during the 19th century, it became associated with certain archetypes of American racism such as the "happy-go-lucky darky on the plantation" or the "dandified coon ".[1] Hence Blackface has become associated with racism, particularly in the USA, so that the term may be used in a broader sense to include similarly stereotyped performances even when they do not involve blackface makeup.

Blackface was an important performance tradition in the American theater for roughly 100 years beginning around 1830. It quickly became popular overseas, particularly so in Britain, where the tradition lasted even longer than in the US, occurring on primetime TV as late as 1978[2] and 1981.[3] In both the United States and Britain, blackface was most commonly used in the minstrel performance tradition, but it predates that tradition, and it survived long past the heyday of the minstrel show. White blackface performers in the past used burnt cork and later greasepaint or shoe polish to blacken their skin and exaggerate their lips, often wearing woolly wigs, gloves, tailcoats, or ragged clothes to complete the transformation. Later, black artists also performed in blackface.

Stereotypes embodied in the stock characters of blackface minstrelsy played a significant role in cementing and proliferating racist images, attitudes and perceptions worldwide. In some quarters, the caricatures that were the legacy of blackface persist to the present day and are a cause of ongoing controversy.

By the mid-20th century, changing attitudes about race and racism effectively ended the prominence of blackface makeup used in performance in the U.S. and elsewhere. It remains in relatively limited use as a theatrical device, mostly outside the U.S., and is more commonly used today as social commentary or satire. Perhaps the most enduring effect of blackface is the precedent it established in the introduction of African American culture to an international audience, albeit through a distorted lens.[4][5] Blackface's groundbreaking appropriation,[4][5][6] exploitation, and assimilation[4] of African-American culture&#8212;as well as the inter-ethnic artistic collaborations that stemmed from it&#8212;were but a prologue to the lucrative packaging, marketing, and dissemination of African-American cultural expression and its myriad derivative forms in today's world popular culture.[5][7][8]