Twitter: New league rule on lowering helmet

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
What is the concussion rate in Rugby?

Like I said, I'm not sure what the rate is, but I think we'd have to try and determine the accuracy of that by finding out if it's just encompassing the tackling, or if it is including the scrum. Like I said earlier, one of my British cousins plays rugby, and he once told me that the scrum is where you'll most likely see significant rugby injuries, along with the multiplayer push that you'll see near the tryline. Essentially, think of it a bit like a running back having to drive to the endzone with a lot of blokes on his back. That's a good way to get hurt. But, if it's just open field tackling, then you'll probably be fine in rugby as long as you stick to the rugby tackling techniques.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow, DB's might actually have to tackle instead of just ramming. This is going to place a premium on DB's with arms.

Those that don't like the rule, like seeing all the players out on concussion protocol? This won't stop all of it but it will help.

Did y'all think they were not going to do something? They're trying to get out in front of this CTE issue and they need to show they are taking the initiative before it is forced on them.

However, I will believe it when I see it. They were not enforcing the helmet first contact rule before.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Coming soon....updated logo...

NFFL = NATIONAL FLAG FOOTBALL LEAGUE.

:thumbdown:

Actually, I see it as a potentially positive thing. It is important to try and limit the head injuries, but that's not to say that you shouldn't tackle in football. You just have to tackle properly. Thus, as rugby has been improving their tackling standards, so should we.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like I said, I'm not sure what the rate is, but I think we'd have to try and determine the accuracy of that by finding out if it's just encompassing the tackling, or if it is including the scrum. Like I said earlier, one of my British cousins plays rugby, and he once told me that the scrum is where you'll most likely see significant rugby injuries, along with the multiplayer push that you'll see near the tryline. Essentially, think of it a bit like a running back having to drive to the endzone with a lot of blokes on his back. That's a good way to get hurt. But, if it's just open field tackling, then you'll probably be fine in rugby as long as you stick to the rugby tackling techniques.
Fuzzy, Belichick has been using these tackling techniques for several seasons. Losing your own player because of poor tackling technique is just plain stupid. It is beyond time to eliminate the helmet as a weapon and let it be used for what it was intended, protection.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I'm not seeing how this is diffeent from the 2013 rule:

NEW RULE: A ban on a ball carrier initiating contact with the crown of his helmet in the open field or by a defender while making a tackle.

What the rule changes:
A 15-yard penalty will be called if a runner or a tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players clearly are outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle-to-tackle and from 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team's end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or a tackler against an opponent would not be deemed a foul.
I believe incidental contact is now a foul and the tackle box no longer exists as it pertains to the rule.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually, I see it as a potentially positive thing. It is important to try and limit the head injuries, but that's not to say that you shouldn't tackle in football. You just have to tackle properly. Thus, as rugby has been improving their tackling standards, so should we.
Nice try but some want bloodsport and don't think about the quality of the game with so many players on the sideline.

Last season, I kept track of the players I lost during games to concussion protocol in DFS and it averaged one per week and I lost 3 in one afternoon. With only 8 players, 1 is too many,

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Fuzzy, Belichick has been using these tackling techniques for several seasons. Losing your own player because of poor tackling technique is just plain stupid. It is beyond time to eliminate the helmet as a weapon and let it be used for what it was intended, protection.

I agree with you there.

Nice try but some want bloodsport and don't think about the quality of the game with so many players on the sideline.

Last season, I kept track of the players I lost during games to concussion protocol in DFS and it averaged one per week and I lost 3 in one afternoon. With only 8 players, 1 is too many,

I played in high school until a major back issue stopped me from being able to participate further. I recall having one concussion during that time, and it was dreadful.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Pretty hard to play the position if you can't lower your head to protect yourself. Not to lead with your helmet but a simple crouch down position to get smaller on impact is going to lead to flags now.

Too many rules.

Yes. It's natural when players are charging at you to duck down and try to drive forward with your legs. If your head is not lowered in that position then something isn't right.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'd like to add that, given the size of the players in the NFL now, it really is stupid that the helmet is being used as a weapon on the field. That is not what the helmet is built for, and the sticker on the back of it wasn't just written because Riddell felt like putting it there. Given the size of football players, rugby-style tackling really should be the rule of thumb.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
Maybe. But it's a contact sport, so those who fear head injuries probably shouldn't play. The ground is an enemy during a tackle, as much as another players helmet. Just feeling like it's getting over policed. Before you know it, they'll make a rule no taking a player to the ground, and can only wrap up to stop forward momentum.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Maybe. But it's a contact sport, so those who fear head injuries probably shouldn't play. The ground is an enemy during a tackle, as much as another players helmet. Just feeling like it's getting over policed. Before you know it, they'll make a rule no taking a player to the ground, and can only wrap up to stop forward momentum.

Oh, there's no doubt that it's a contact sport, and I am certainly not advocating for a cease in tackling. I'm simply saying that the tackling form really should be improved. Frankly, it shouldn't even take a rule to improve this. It should be taught as early as possible as they are doing in England on my cousin's rugby team.

BigD_95

Reaction score
NFL just get worse and worse

I’m already at the point I only watch Cowboys games. I have always been a defensive fan. All these rule changes over the years favor offense. Just gets old.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
Oh, no doubt that it's a contact sport, and I am certainly not advocating for a cease in tackling. I'm simply saying that the tackling form really should be improved. Frankly, it shouldn't even take a rule to improve this. It should be taught as early as possible as they are doing in England on my cousin's rugby team.
Good point. I guess I just hate change, out of fear they'll get even more extreme with it in the future, like not taking a player to the ground or something else, forever changing the sport I played, and love. Look at boxers, they know they're most likely going to get head injuries competing.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Say good bye to the power back. Zeke might be hurt by this.

Mannix

Reaction score
Just like the Emmitt helmet rule which supposedly caused undue delay after scoring....but yet the cuddly little Packers and cute little bundled up Green Bay fans got a special exemption pass on the Lambeau Leap.....VOMIT....which delays things 10x longer than simply taking your helmet off. I still remember the NY Giant RB throwing the football and breaking a star in the back of the endzone in the last playoff game at Texas Stadium, and wondering what kind of penalty would have been dreamed up had something like that been done in NY. Until the officials become afraid of inventing penalties against Dallas, they will continue to try and curry favor with "the goon".....sickening.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Good point. I guess I just hate change, out of fear they'll get even more extreme with it in the future, like not taking a player to the ground or something else, forever changing the sport I played, and love. Look at boxers, they know they're most likely going to get head injuries competing.

I too am someone that dislikes change. However, I see this as something that could potentially be useful. Though, it is sad that it even has to be a rule. The coaches should be responsible for ensuring that proper tackling techniques are met.