Twitter: New league rule on lowering helmet

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Only against defenders? Or are they going to penalize ball carriers that drop their helmet?

I don't know how this rule can make any sense. Everyone has to run upright and butt chests?

If you lower your body for leverage on contact, your head comes with you.

Sounds like another "going to the ground" debacle, only this time magnified by 1000, because it's every other play.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
how are you supposed to tackle with your shoulder if you cant lower yourself?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
how are you supposed to tackle with your shoulder if you cant lower yourself?

Good point. I would hope that the rule simply means don't lead with your helmet. IF that's the rule, then it's a good rule. But, if it's saying don't lower it period for any reason, then it makes no sense. You're suppose to lower for leverage both offensively and defensively.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm not seeing how this is diffeent from the 2013 rule:

NEW RULE: A ban on a ball carrier initiating contact with the crown of his helmet in the open field or by a defender while making a tackle.

What the rule changes:
A 15-yard penalty will be called if a runner or a tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players clearly are outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle-to-tackle and from 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team's end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or a tackler against an opponent would not be deemed a foul.

Thanks for the language.

I see a lot of flops to the helmet coming to defenses everywhere. Think of how many of your favorite plays ever by running backs were just made illegal. Apparently they learned nothing from the "going to the ground rule" debacle, which did the same thing with many of the greatest catches of all times.

I'm glad to have lived before the NFL became the National Flag Football League.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
I too am someone that dislikes change. However, I see this as something that could potentially be useful. Though, it is sad that it even has to be a rule. The coaches should be responsible for ensuring that proper tackling techniques are met.
I played high school ball as a right guard, my best friend was the center, and before he could snap the ball, the defensive guy jumped offsides and hit him with a knee to his head and broke his neck. Even though there was a rule against offsides, it didn't prevent that from happening. I guess my point is, no matter how much we don't want to see injuries happen, in tackle football that's impossible. I'm just sitting here thinking, how's this going to change the game, especially for running backs.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

NEW RULE: A ban on a ball carrier initiating contact with the crown of his helmet in the open field or by a defender while making a tackle.

What the rule changes:
A 15-yard penalty will be called if a runner or a tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players clearly are outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle-to-tackle and from 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team's end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or a tackler against an opponent would not be deemed a foul.

So, what I think this means is that players aren't allowed to lead with their helmets. I don't think it's so much ruling against lowering yourself or anything to that effect. If that's the case, then that's not so much of a problem for me. I still think it's a tad over-correcting, but I hope that it simply prompts a change into the way tackling is done.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I played high school ball as a right guard, my best friend was the center, and before he could snap the ball, the defensive guy jumped offsides and hit him with a knee to his head and broke his neck. Even though there was a rule against offsides, it didn't prevent that from happening. I guess my point is, no matter how much we don't want to see injuries happen, in tackle football that's impossible. I'm just sitting here thinking, how's this going to change the game, especially for running backs.
Great point !!!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

I concur, and I think that this does take an element of football away from the running backs. Especially since they're trying to use their leverage to gain extra yards.

dallasdave

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Keep 'em safe!!!
Too funny !!!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Basic anatomy - your head sticks out the top. Lean forward, your head leads.

Interesting how the Cowboys go to a power run team, get the best back in the league for it, and they make power running illegal.

That's true. And it's interesting how, just as the Giants are getting absolutely shredded off the field, the NFL comes up with this. :huh:

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score

What the rule changes:
Not sure how I missed your post. But your right, the rule looks very similar. So does this mean the runner can still lower inside the tackle box, and within 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage?
:huh:

Last edited:

jblaze2004

Reaction score
so many rules. just throw flags on the guys and just make it a National Flag Football League

jblaze2004

Reaction score
also can't wait for us to get flagged for it and on the very next drive the other team does it and the refs just look away.

JDSmith

Reaction score
What is the concussion rate in Rugby?

They have very strict rules about concussions and a head injury assessment protocol in place, to the point where they have team doctors watching players for potentially damaging collisions and pulling them to assess them - sometimes without guys having any visible symptoms. If a guy gets a head knock and the team doctor doesn't like the way it looked they're going to pull him for an HIA. So they probably catch a much higher percentage of concussions than the NFL. Not sure what the overall number is, but it's not unusual for a couple players per game to go for an HIA, some come back and some don't.