Twitter: New league rule on lowering helmet

JDSmith

Reaction score
Like I said, I'm not sure what the rate is, but I think we'd have to try and determine the accuracy of that by finding out if it's just encompassing the tackling, or if it is including the scrum. Like I said earlier, one of my British cousins plays rugby, and he once told me that the scrum is where you'll most likely see significant rugby injuries, along with the multiplayer push that you'll see near the tryline. Essentially, think of it a bit like a running back having to drive to the endzone with a lot of blokes on his back. That's a good way to get hurt. But, if it's just open field tackling, then you'll probably be fine in rugby as long as you stick to the rugby tackling techniques.

They have changed the scrum dramatically in the last couple of years, specifically because of concussions and neck injuries. It used to be two groups essentially slamming into each other, now they have a three step process where they crouch, bind and then begin to push against each other - it's a lot less concussive.

Most of the time when guys get concussed in rugby it comes from accidental contact, with a knee or another player's head. Something along those lines.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
So 1st & Goal at the 1 can become 1st & Goal at the 16 with Zeke ejected if the refs decide so? Yeah, nothing can go wrong with this rule. This will be called so unequally from game to game it will get ridiculous just like the catch rule. I bet if you go back and watch any game from last year, you could throw a flag for this on someone on nearly every play.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
. We'll see how you feel the first time Zeke runs over a CB and has the run called back b/c he lowered his head.

Yep, Zeke will take it 80Yards to the house on 3rd down after trucking some POS like Scandrick, but instead, we’ll get a personal foul and end up punting....

When will these flaming gabs of dog crap understand that we like football the way it used to be - touch and raw...

One can arguably say all these changes have changed the game into something else entirely.. Football is gone, but arena league two hand touch remains...

I’d kill for football to just go back to the 90’s....

kskboys

Reaction score
Well then, quit doing it!!!!

Seriously, the NFL is being forced to pass rules like this due to lawsuits. If you don't like it, you should be mad at the people suing.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yep, Zeke will take it 80Yards to the house on 3rd down after trucking some POS like Scandrick, but instead, we’ll get a personal foul and end up punting....

When will these flaming gabs of dog crap understand that we like football the way it used to be - touch and raw...

One can arguably say all these changes have changed the game into something else entirely.. Football is gone, but arena league two hand touch remains...

I’d kill for football to just go back to the 90’s....
As soon as the NFL is no longer in danger of being sued.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
They have changed the scrum dramatically in the last couple of years, specifically because of concussions and neck injuries. It used to be two groups essentially slamming into each other, now they have a three step process where they crouch, bind and then begin to push against each other - it's a lot less concussive.

Most of the time when guys get concussed in rugby it comes from accidental contact, with a knee or another player's head. Something along those lines.

Exactly, and that's of course a good thing. And the refs and captains are to ensure that the scrums are done properly to prevent injury. It is the techniques used in rugby that can help reduce injury in football.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya know, we had a pterodactyl as a mascot when I played but my coaches taught me a very easy way to tackle, see what you hit. It is very simple and effective and if these players do it right, they see the ball carrier and do not lower their head and take the chance of him bouncing off which happens far too often. Of course they're going to have to learn to use their shoulder and wrap up and that seems to be an art gone by the wayside.

You are going to see a lot of these calls in the pretend season games to send the message. Just having the rule won't fly because there are too many eyes on this concussion problem. If I am a lawyer for the players, I am going to be asking what took them so long.

Last edited:

Beaker42

Reaction score
Good tackling form:

giphy.gif

Bad tackling form:

giphy.gif

You see the difference? The rugby guy wraps and the Numerous Felons League guys don’t. Wanna lower injuries? Make these dudes wrap. Simple.

ESisback

Reaction score
Yay! Another "subjective" penalty. They don't give a crap about safety. They do this for two reasons: 1)It gives them more control, and 2)it appeases all those PC nerds who don't care about the game. BOTH reasons protect The Shield.

Haven't really researched it, but it wouldn't shock me if, coincidentally of course, Dallas is among a handful of teams with more than one prominent player who habitually lowers his head.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Long overdue.

The NFL is officially ruined. I give this league 4 more years before it's unwatchable...and bankrupt. The league now can bench players @ their own discretion. If you thought the league was fixed before..wait until players get thrown out trying to do their job.

What a complete joke....

You could honestly throw out a player on any given play...that's why they wear helmets. Duh...:rolleyes: