*** New Site Questions And Comments Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah the jQuery thing sucks a bit. They're swapping to that in 4.0 I believe. XenForo isn't bad by any means, I was considering it until the devs and legal trouble surfaced. It looks like that is starting to clear out somewhat but at the time I made the decision a lot of things were still up in the air. I'm positive you're using something like APC/xcache already but what about mod_pagespeed and something like Lazy Loader? I just turned on debug mode on a very active thread we have:

VOEtayb.png

Most threads are between 10-20 queries.
This is probably better suited for another thread :D This thread is about the new CZ site and I cannot give others a hard time about going off-topic if I'm doing it :D

/reality

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can we embed "Vines" yet? They are basically 6-10 second clips, similar to Youtube or a .gif?

Not at the moment. I will look into adding support for other services in the near future.

/reality

NuttyRex

Reaction score
This is really looking bad on a mobile phone to the point where its unreadable. Is there a mobile version.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is really looking bad on a mobile phone to the point where its unreadable. Is there a mobile version.

Most sites are moving away from "mobile themes" and instead using Responsive themes. Responsive themes allow one theme to work with all devices so you get the benefits of the full theme without a lot of the clutter, zooming or side scrolling required. That said, the responsive theme this site is using right now is still in development so there may be some issues for certain mobile devices until it is finished.

/reality

NuttyRex

Reaction score
Most sites are moving away from "mobile themes" and instead using Responsive themes. Responsive themes allow one theme to work with all devices so you get the benefits of the full theme without a lot of the clutter, zooming or side scrolling required. That said, the responsive theme this site is using right now is still in development so there may be some issues for certain mobile devices until it is finished.

/reality

Thanks for the quick response. I'm using a 5" Galaxy phone and the thread is basically split into two columns. I've never seen another message board like it. I guess no more CowboysZone at work :(

Edit: I just noticed my response was underlined. I typed that one using my phone.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score

If your phone/tablet auto rotates, simply turning the phone sideways, will make it much easier to read. Hope that helps. When I have my phone vertical, the posts are really narrow and long, when I rotate it sideways, it looks like normal.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
As I said in another threat, I really, REALLY like the changes to the site. I have been suggesting something like this for almost 3 odd years now. Hopefully it will improve our traffic in response to the Twitter's and Facebook's of the world. Are #hashtags usable?

NuttyRex

Reaction score
If your phone/tablet auto rotates, simply turning the phone sideways, will make it much easier to read. Hope that helps. When I have my phone vertical, the posts are really narrow and long, when I rotate it sideways, it looks like normal.

That did the trick. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Edit: I think that's all my complaints for now. I'm actually quite pleased! Thanks!!

TheCowboy

Reaction score
I like how it doesn't show our post count and join date on every post. It seems like it creates more equality.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
I think there should be a limit on the signatures now. A lot of posters (even me) have pictures in their signatures that look too big and tacky from the switch.

FiveRings

Reaction score
I love the clean look. Nice move going away with the player on the top right. Very tidy and crisp

dez_for_prez

Reaction score
There are no user settings available for thread/post count per page. The site uses SEO friendly URLs which have page numbers in them. If users had different post/thread settings, then those URLs would point to the wrong pages depending on whether or not the user sharing the URL has the same settings as the users reading and clicking on the links. I will keep looking into it, but it is not something built-in to the software.

/reality
Might be a stupid question but could you make it so that everyone has 40 post per page then the URLs with page numbers wouldn't matter?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Might be a stupid question but could you make it so that everyone has 40 post per page then the URLs with page numbers wouldn't matter?

While it is possible, it is not something I will do. People refresh threads regularly and setting it to 40 posts per page uses a LOT more bandwidth (and this site uses several gb's per day already) and it also makes the site appear really slow to users because of signatures and avatars. As I said earlier, I will continue to look into it, but at this point, I don't see it changing.

/reality

Zordon

Reaction score
I think we should utilize the space under the avatars better. I feel naked with that space empty. I know we can click on the username and see the post count, join date and hometown, but if there is any way we can add that back underneath the avatar that would be great.

Also, right now you have to place your cursor over the thread title for it to show how many pages the thread is. Is there anyway we can just leave the pages number on there at all times?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we should utilize the space under the avatars better. I feel naked with that space empty. I know we can click on the username and see the post count, join date and hometown, but if there is any way we can add that back underneath the avatar that would be great.

Also, right now you have to place your cursor over the thread title for it to show how many pages the thread is. Is there anyway we can just leave the pages number on there at all times?

I have other details planned for below the avatar.

I have forced the page number navigation to show at all times.

/reality

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will we get our ignore lists back?

As I said earlier, they were not converted. I am sure that users that bother you or that you don't want to see will pop up soon enough so it won't take long for you to ignore them. It's also much easier now :D

/reality

Status
Not open for further replies.