Newer Vehicle

lukin2006

Reaction score
I bought a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. Only 55 k and mint. I still cannot find a scratch and the interior is like new. I only paid 1000 more for similar 2015's with much higher mileage. I am very happy. This is an upgrade from a Jeep Patriot. Love it so far.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I've been driving Audi's for the last several years, but my lease is up in January. I was thinking about switching back to a truck. (that's all I used to drive before I moved to NY area)

I wanted to buy a 2 year old mid-sized truck, (why are trucks so much more expensive than they used to be??!?!?) but I'm really liking the new Rangers better than the others, but damnit. 2019 is there first year back / mid-sized. If I go Ranger, it will have to be a new one. :(

It's either that, or something else and I'm not as hot for the other brands / models.

1st world problems! :D

anyhow, congrats on the new vehicle!

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I bought a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. Only 55 k and mint. I still cannot find a scratch and the interior is like new. I only paid 1000 more for similar 2015's with much higher mileage. I am very happy. This is an upgrade from a Jeep Patriot. Love it so far.
I almost bought a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk recently when my lease ended on my last vehicle mainly because of the snow/off-road ability that I may need depending on where I move soon.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been driving Audi's for the last several years, but my lease is up in January. I was thinking about switching back to a truck. (that's all I used to drive before I moved to NY area)

I wanted to buy a 2 year old mid-sized truck, (why are trucks so much more expensive than they used to be??!?!?) but I'm really liking the new Rangers better than the others, but damnit. 2019 is there first year back / mid-sized. If I go Ranger, it will have to be a new one. :(

It's either that, or something else and I'm not as hot for the other brands / models.

1st world problems! :D

anyhow, congrats on the new vehicle!
I know exactly what you mean. I considered buying a new truck briefly until I saw those massive sticker prices.

In many cases, those massive prices depreciate very quickly too, which is not an issue if you plan to keep it for a while of course, but still, definitely not mind-changer friendly :D

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I know exactly what you mean. I considered buying a new truck briefly until I saw those massive sticker prices.

In many cases, those massive prices depreciate very quickly too, which is not an issue if you plan to keep it for a while of course, but still, definitely not mind-changer friendly :D
Toyotas maintain their value very well, but it's a lot of money for a vehicle that rots out faster than a sedan. The salt just gets into places under the bed, such as behind the wheel wells, and it's impossible to wash it out, so it just sits there and rots the metal. Undercoating doesn't help much.

Last edited by a moderator:

John813

Reaction score
I'm in a 2014 Grand Cherokee with over 100k miles and knock on wood no bad issues so far. Just some minor one day fixes under warranty.

IMO FCA really improved their QA/QC and reliability since the early 2000's

cwbyfn88

Reaction score
I'm in a 2014 Grand Cherokee with over 100k miles and knock on wood no bad issues so far. Just some minor one day fixes under warranty.

IMO FCA really improved their QA/QC and reliability since the early 2000's
My Chevy Silverado has 250k and transmission is still running beautifully. Everything else had to get tune ups or repairs. And body is rusting like crazy. It all depends on proper maintenance and how you drive the vehicle.

John813

Reaction score
My Chevy Silverado has 250k and transmission is still running beautifully. Everything else had to get tune ups or repairs. And body is rusting like crazy. It all depends on proper maintenance and how you drive the vehicle.

Yup. Father has 3 trucks over 200k. Excurison, expedition and a navigator. All OG components, and he even boosted them.

Maintenance plays a big role. And luck in that you got a vehicle that was properly assembled.

Wifes Explorer sport had a "porous" head from the get go. Leaked oil till it warmed up and sealed the gap. Not enough oil would leak in the garage. Only got suspicious when prior to an oil change I saw oil on the bottom(external) of the oil filter. That was a fun battle with ford over warranty work

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score

Consumers Reports shows - Transmission, drive train, electronics problems in the 2015.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And where you drive the vehicle, particularly in the Winter. The crap they spray on the roads here in CT in Winter eats metal like Rosie O'Donnell eats....everything else.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Had a '99 Dodge Dakota I got rid of last year, with 220,000 miles. Gave it to my brother who scrapped it within a month because the rot got to everything. The way it started in the first 50k, I didn't think it'd last to 100k, but it ended up treating me pretty well. Got my money's worth.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ive always bought cars that were a few years old, but as of right now my next purchase is going to be brand new.

I bought a 2016 Sentra with about 50K, drove the car for less that 24 hours and the clutch went. I was heated to say the least. Looking back at the vehicle history, it was repo'ed before. So it makes some sense to me that the life of that clutch was so short.

Either way, my next purchase Im planning on going new for the first time

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ive always bought cars that were a few years old, but as of right now my next purchase is going to be brand new.

I bought a 2016 Sentra with about 50K, drove the car for less that 24 hours and the clutch went. I was heated to say the least. Looking back at the vehicle history, it was repo'ed before. So it makes some sense to me that the life of that clutch was so short.

Either way, my next purchase Im planning on going new for the first time
There's nothing like the feeling of having a brand new car. No worrying about what the previous owner might have done to it. Any issues at all are covered under warranty. That new car smell is genuine, and not just an air freshener they hung in it.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There's nothing like the feeling of having a brand new car. No worrying about what the previous owner might have done to it. Any issues at all are covered under warranty. That new car smell is genuine, and not just an air freshener they hung in it.
Im looking forward to it. Im gonna hold on to the Sentra for 3 years and trade it in when its paid off.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Congrats! Always fun getting a new ride. Jeep is a good brand. In fact, I always had a thing for the Jeep Cherokee SRT-8s. :)

1a167a956a1d684773c479f6336059f2.jpg