Newer Vehicle

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The best I can figure is all the technology that is in them now compared to what used to be. Of course, as we know. The technology doesn't actually cost that much. It's basically an in car iPad of sort. A Roku with a 9" LCD screen.

They clearly do not need to cost that much, but trucks are so popular now. Even up here in the Tri-State area, trucks are becoming more popular even with women. Never quite figured out why they are so popular with women, but hey. I like trucks, so I suppose they can too. Though, I like them for their utilitarian usage. I don't know a lot of women who are interested in hauling large and/or heavy items around, yet they own one anyway.

The options are getting insane. It is like phones now, you need a new vehicle every two years just to keep up with technology :thumbdown:

My truck has the 18 in Nav screen, heated/ventilated front and rear leather bucket seats, blind spot indicators in the side mirrors, lane assist that keeps you in the lane, self parking, 360 degree camera, sunroof from front to back and many more. Pretty soon they better come with a chauffeur :muttley:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The best I can figure is all the technology that is in them now compared to what used to be. Of course, as we know. The technology doesn't actually cost that much. It's basically an in car iPad of sort. A Roku with a 9" LCD screen.

They clearly do not need to cost that much, but trucks are so popular now. Even up here in the Tri-State area, trucks are becoming more popular even with women. Never quite figured out why they are so popular with women, but hey. I like trucks, so I suppose they can too. Though, I like them for their utilitarian usage. I don't know a lot of women who are interested in hauling large and/or heavy items around, yet they own one anyway.
My ex wife thought it was sexy to see a woman driving a big ol' truck. Maybe she wasn't alone in that thinking. I think they're sexier in the back.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The options are getting insane. It is like phones now, you need a new vehicle every two years just to keep up with technology :thumbdown:

My truck has the 18 in Nav screen, heated/ventilated front and rear leather bucket seats, blind spot indicators in the side mirrors, lane assist that keeps you in the lane, self parking, 360 degree camera, sunroof from front to back and many more. Pretty soon they better come with a chauffeur :muttley:
Yeah see, all that stuff is ridiculous. If you want luxury, buy an Audi or something. If you need the truck to park itself, you shouldn't be driving one. Just my opinion, but I think there are a lot of guys who buy trucks to look more manly, rather than buying a truck because they actually need a truck. Cadillac shouldn't even make a truck.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah see, all that stuff is ridiculous. If you want luxury, buy an Audi or something. If you need the truck to park itself, you shouldn't be driving one. Just my opinion, but I think there are a lot of guys who buy trucks to look more manly, rather than buying a truck because they actually need a truck. Cadillac shouldn't even make a truck.

I will never use that option most likely. I need a truck to pull my boat :thumbup:

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The way they do options is really annoying as well. They make you buy 10 things you don't care about to get the one thing you really want.

The only option I really wanted was the Head-Up Display. It is really nice being able to see your speed on the windshield without looking down. Once you have it, hard to go back.

However, in order to get that I had to purchase the upgraded leather, 360 camera, rearview mirror camera, lane assist, heated and cooled seats, massage seats, etc.....

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The ranger is also pretty much a rebranded euro model brought back over. Reviews say it's already showing age. I've not driven one so I can't really say but something to think about. In the end get what you like anyway.
Really? Everything I've seen and read says the Ranger (mid-sized truck) is best in class. If what you're saying it true. That would mean that the Ranger was and still is many years ahead of it's time. The 2019 Ranger was and still is best in class.

I'm not clear on your rebranded statement either. From my understanding, even when they created the mid-sized version. It was still sold as a Ford Ranger internationally. It just wasn't sold in the US and Canada.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The way they do options is really annoying as well. They make you buy 10 things you don't care about to get the one thing you really want.

Yes 100x. This truck I got it because it was a heck of a deal and came with everything I wanted and some I didn't.

That said, I've been leased a lot of cars before it. I never need the navigation as I've used Waze for years and it's superior to all other navigation apps out there by far. So, I've always told them I don't want to spend $3,000 on navigation, but the second you remove that option. All the options I did want get removed too.

It's like idiot cable television. Your cable bill is $180/month because they bundle all these garbage channels that you don't want just to get the ones you do. I remember ESPN alone costing $6 a month!?!?!? I never watched ESPN anyhow because it's just a drama television. I hated it for the same reason I have reality TV (and @Reality too!)

I don't pay for cable TV. I buy the streaming channels I want. Screw everything else!

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Yes 100x. This truck I got it because it was a heck of a deal and came with everything I wanted and some I didn't.

That said, I've been leased a lot of cars before it. I never need the navigation as I've used Waze for years and it's superior to all other navigation apps out there by far. So, I've always told them I don't want to spend $3,000 on navigation, but the second you remove that option. All the options I did want get removed too.

It's like idiot cable television. Your cable bill is $180/month because they bundle all these garbage channels that you don't want just to get the ones you do. I remember ESPN alone costing $6 a month!?!?!? I never watched ESPN anyhow because it's just a drama television. I hated it for the same reason I have reality TV (and @Reality too!)

I don't pay for cable TV. I buy the streaming channels I want. Screw everything else!

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto makes manufacturer’s navigation obsolete.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Really? Everything I've seen and read says the Ranger (mid-sized truck) is best in class. If what you're saying it true. That would mean that the Ranger was and still is many years ahead of it's time. The 2019 Ranger was and still is best in class.

I'm not clear on your rebranded statement either. From my understanding, even when they created the mid-sized version. It was still sold as a Ford Ranger internationally. It just wasn't sold in the US and Canada.
It was motor trend truck of the year

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
All trucks have problems with salt rotting the beds out up here. It gets sprayed up into the wheel wells, where it stays forever, eating the metal. You'd think they'd come up with some type of rubber or plastic seal to block the road spray from getting up there, but for some reason they don't seem to be worried about it.
I had a 3/4 ton service body Chevy work truck ( that was a former Texas power&light co. truck outta' the Galveston A.O.) And that thing had the rust cancer rot going on from the bottom up( but it's duel exhaust "cackle pipes" were a real hoot to cut loose on after throbbing down on that Holley 650 4-bbl carb I slapped on it,,,lmao