News Anchor Responds to Viewer Email Calling Her Fat

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
This has gone viral (shadup Reality), I'm guessing most of you have seen it already. If not.

[youtube]r5bsWSWk6qo[/youtube]

TheDallasDon

AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee
Reaction score
I wonder if she tells smokers that its bad for them and they should stop

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
TheDallasDon;4767711 said:
I wonder if she tells smokers that its bad for them and they should stop

That's not really the point of the video.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Faerluna;4767720 said:
That's not really the point of the video.

It kind of is.

Would it be acceptable for a news person to be on air smoking a cigarette? No.

How about sitting up there drinking a margarita?

Obesity seems to be a taboo topic. But it is the leading cause of preventable death in America. We can judge everyone else and what they do, just don't ever try to tell an overweight person that they are unhealthy and they are setting a bad example.

I personally don't think the email that was sent was harsh or in any way bullying. The viewer expressed an opinion, since when did that become being a bully?

Do I think she has a right to be on air? Absolutely. Do I think she is living a healthy life style...no.

KLJ

Reaction score
1. that email was not that bad. obesity is a major problem and i think he brought up his concerns in as nice a way as possible.

2. she talks about setting an example but what kind of example is she setting for her kids by being obese? i'm willing to bet her kids are chubby already.

Lodeus

Reaction score
BlindFaith;4767779 said:
It kind of is.

Obesity seems to be a taboo topic. But it is the leading cause of preventable death in America. We can judge everyone else and what they do, just don't ever try to tell an overweight person that they are unhealthy and they are setting a bad example.

I personally don't think the email that was sent was harsh or in any way bullying. The viewer expressed an opinion, since when did that become being a bully?

Do I think she has a right to be on air? Absolutely. Do I think she is living a healthy life style...no.

This is a good post.

Phoenix

Reaction score
The email was a load of crap. I don't think it was "bullying" either, but it certainly was not necessary. It is no business of his what she looks like, and presumptive of him to think she is there to "set an example".

Seems to me the "opinion" he is expressing is his own intolerance. HOW DARE that news show employ a female who doesn't look like a model!

Sigh.

TheDallasDon

AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee
Reaction score
BlindFaith;4767779 said:
It kind of is.

My point exactly

KLJ

Reaction score
Phoenix;4767807 said:
Seems to me the "opinion" he is expressing is his own intolerance. HOW DARE that news show employ a female who doesn't look like a model!

yea, i didn't see it that way at all.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Phoenix;4767807 said:
The email was a load of crap. I don't think it was "bullying" either, but it certainly was not necessary. It is no business of his what she looks like, and presumptive of him to think she is there to "set an example".

Sigh.

So expressing your point of view is no longer necessary? Why are there interventions for alcholics and drug users? Because people can be self destructive. Obesity is no different. And it typically results in the children of obese people having an unhealthy view on diet as well.

JBond

Reaction score
Phoenix;4767807 said:

Sigh.

Fat people are a giant issue. They are costing us billions every year. It has nothing to do with tolerance. It has to do with them eating away our limited resources through their bad behavior. Medical costs and food costs are dramatically effected by fat people. Heck, dragging their fat Jabba the Hut bodies around town in a car uses more fuel.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
JBond;4767844 said:
Fat people are a giant issue. They are costing us billions every year. It has nothing to do with tolerance. It has to do with them eating away our limited resources through their bad behavior. Medical costs and food costs are dramatically effected by fat people. Heck, dragging their fat Jabba the Hut bodies around town in a car uses more fuel.

Now that would be cruel and bullying, even though the point being made is mostly true.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't feel bad for her, at all. She says she knows she's fat but does nothing about it.

Apparently, it's become very cool to play the victim and have people feel sorry for you in this country.

JBond

Reaction score
BlindFaith;4767878 said:
Now that would be cruel and bullying, even though the point being made is mostly true.

Alright....maybe I should have left out the Jabba part. I have to admit, it is getting a bit old to see shopping carts filled to the brim with crap food at the supermarket being pushed by the kid because the mom is so big she requires a motorized scooter to make it to the cookie isle.

rocboy22

Reaction score
this woman is an idiot, and so are the producers of the news show. this crap should not have made the air.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The guy condemned her and basically said if she is going to be fat, she shouldn't be on the air.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
rocboy22;4767932 said:
this woman is an idiot, and so are the producers of the news show. this crap should not have made the air.

I disagree. The idiot is the guy who sent the email. Her life is none of his business. If he doesn't want to see an overweight news person, change the channel.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4767960 said:
The guy condemned her and basically said if she is going to be fat, she shouldn't be on the air.

But, why should we care about this?

As if things aren't said to regular sized news anchors on a regular basis. Should they all start whining about mean letters they receive on air? Clearly her skin isn't as thick as she thinks it is.

There isn't an ounce of sympathy in my body for overweight people who have complete control of their body. If it is because of a condition, then fine. If it isn't then shame on you.

rocboy22

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4767965 said:
I disagree. The idiot is the guy who sent the email. Her life is none of his business. If he doesn't want to see an overweight news person, change the channel.

Of course her life is none of his business. But when you go on TV, and you provide your email address to viewers, you are going to get emails like this - which in my opinion was not bullying whatsoever. I don't agree with the guy sending the email, but I also don't agree with this woman and the news show using it in the manner they did.