News Anchor Responds to Viewer Email Calling Her Fat

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4768072 said:
I'm being dramatic? Ha! I'm just stating what I believe to be unethical behavior.

Yes, when you say she was bashed; that is being dramatic.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
jobberone;4768104 said:
It is time for obesity to go the same route as cigarette smoking. It needs to be recognized and there should be some healthy public discourse and peer pressure against it.

You can't buy a drink at a restaurant that is over 16 ounces in New York City.

The one thing I really like is in New York restaurants are forced to put calorie counts next to menu items.

You walk into Olive Garden, Outback, or Chilis and your eyes open wide when you see how many calories some of their dishes have. I'm mean up to 2,000+. Like the Bloomin Onion has around 2,200+ calories.

Just to understand. It takes about 3,500 to make a pound of fat. A Bloomin Onion is about 65-70% of the calories to do that.

jnday

Reaction score
BlindFaith;4768088 said:
She's in the entertainment business. She's on TV. She chose to be in front of X many of people. Some of those people have opinions on what they want to see on TV. This one individual clearly stated that he believed she was sending the wrong message out by her being overweight.

How many movie stars get criticized for how they look or act? Athletes? You name it. What makes her any different and above this criticism?

If she is doing her job and the ratings are okay, I don't see a problem. I may be different, but I expect people to live their life by what makes them happy, not to please others. Why do people feel the need to judge others and expect them to live their life by other's standards?

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4768134 said:
I said she was attacked and she was.

You said she was bashed, and she was not. She was criticized.

Sam I Am;4768014 said:
I can't decipher the point you are making here. Why should you care about someone emailing someone else and bashing them for being fat and on air?

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4768134 said:
I said she was attacked and she was.

:lmao2:

Attacked. My God.
Right now a woman is being raped in the horn of Africa... She wishes she were merely advised to lose weight.

rocboy22

Reaction score
vta;4768148 said:

Attacked. My God.
Right now a woman is being raped in the horn of Africa... She wishes she were merely advised to lose weight.

And again, how can you expect to NOT be criticized when you are on TV and publish your email address???

djmajestik

Reaction score
BlindFaith;4767779 said:
It kind of is.

Would it be acceptable for a news person to be on air smoking a cigarette? No.

How about sitting up there drinking a margarita?

Obesity seems to be a taboo topic. But it is the leading cause of preventable death in America. We can judge everyone else and what they do, just don't ever try to tell an overweight person that they are unhealthy and they are setting a bad example.

I personally don't think the email that was sent was harsh or in any way bullying. The viewer expressed an opinion, since when did that become being a bully?

Do I think she has a right to be on air? Absolutely. Do I think she is living a healthy life style...no.

:signmast:

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I work in a profession where my weight must be in proportion to my height. I've never had a weight issue but I do feel for her. The email obviously touched a nerve with her.

TheDallasDon

AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4768130 said:
You can't buy a drink at a restaurant that is over 16 ounces in New York City.

Lol New York, can't own a gun and limited on the amount of soda.

A famous city "free" city....not free much anymore

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
BoysFan4ever;4768170 said:
I work in a profession where my weight must be in proportion to my height. I've never had a weight issue but I do feel for her. The email obviously touched a nerve with her.

Jockey?

djmajestik

Reaction score
vta;4768063 said:
And what better way to foment such a concept than to air it?

I don't care either way about what she did, but if you want people to learn that acting like an *** doesn't work, ignore them and that will let them know that their voice isn't all that meaningful. As it stands with this, 'you too can alter the course of a live TV show by sending in abusive comments and watching someone defend themselves live', you've essentially provided them with a platform.

Junk mail is junk mail, put it in the trash bin.

Ding ding ding winner! And nice usage of the word foment! Great post!

juck

Reaction score
I bet next year at this time she lost all the weight and is hot. its takes something like that to motivate.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
jnday;4768133 said:
If she is doing her job and the ratings are okay, I don't see a problem. I may be different, but I expect people to live their life by what makes them happy, not to please others. Why do people feel the need to judge others and expect them to live their life by other's standards?

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for "live and let live". But we don't really have that option, not totally. Drugs are illegal. Prostitution is illegal. We have laws and rules about driving too fast and wearing seatbelts. So who decides what we should and shouldn't be doing with our lives?

Drinking too much means you're an alcoholic. Smoking is all but a sin.

But if you want to weigh 400lbs? We're just suppose to look the other way? "Ah, they're just big boned" or "well they're not hurting anyone, just let them be".

Food addiction is just as dangerous as any addiction. Couple that with no desire to exercise and you have, well...half the population of America.

And you're right, if the ratings are fine, she'll still have a job and should. Hopefully out of all of this she maybe starts to realize that being healthier couldn't hurt.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
rocboy22;4768153 said:
And again, how can you expect to NOT be criticized when you are on TV and publish your email address???

Public execution of the criticizer. :)

CashMan

Reaction score
rocboy22;4768186 said:
wow, chill out. It didn't seem like that comment was judging or criticizing her in any way, just stating a fact.

The guy who wrote the station, said he wasn't a regular viewer. Seems like he was lashing out, imo.

I was talking about, most of the comments on here. My god, some of you seem to think, all women should look like sticks.

rocboy22

Reaction score
CashMan;4768199 said:
The guy who wrote the station, said he wasn't a regular viewer. Seems like he was lashing out, imo.

I was talking about, most of the comments on here. My god, some of you seem to think, all women should look like sticks.

I am not picking this up from any of the comments here. You are adding your own meaning to what people are saying.

And my previous comment to you was in regards to the way you were talking to the guy who said she could have a heart attack, nothing about the guy who wrote the original email.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
vta;4768148 said:

Attacked. My God.

By definition yes. Of course when it's 5 degrees outside we say it's cold. When it's -212 degrees on Mars at night, we claim someone is being rapped and she should merely lose weight. :laugh2:

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
CashMan;4768199 said:

Someone's a chubby chaser:laugh2: