NewyScruggs: Giants GM Takes Shot At Cowboys

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CATCH17;2190566 said:
I tried to tell anyone that would listen that he is going to be the shiznittle bang when he got into the league.

He is the most physically gifted safety I think there has ever been and its looking like he may translate it to the NFL.... Crap....

talk about major over exaggeration

David

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
dbair1967;2190572 said:
sure they won...they barely won each of those last 3 games...they did it on the road in the NFC so they deserve some credit, but the fact is they barely outscored their opponents for the entire season and almost assuredly had the worst point differential ever for a championship team...other than Tampa Bay, they could have easily lost any of those other 3 postseason game

like I said, they were a fluke...they were far from the best team in football last year...the only team that I can think of thats anywhere close to the fluke they were would be the 87 Commanders

David

yes I know they played tight games. Most games in the playoffs are tight.

But how much doesnt matter just how. they won man. It sucks for all of us.

I dont see any difference in them than the ravens or the bucs.

I cant wait till this season starts. the games in the east are going to be fantastic. it is like the early 90s and late 80s all over again. I cant wait.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theebs;2190578 said:
yes I know they played tight games. Most games in the playoffs are tight.

But how much doesnt matter just how. they won man. It sucks for all of us.

I dont see any difference in them than the ravens or the bucs.

I cant wait till this season starts. the games in the east are going to be fantastic. it is like the early 90s and late 80s all over again. I cant wait.

I agree. A win is a win and they went into 4 games as big underdogs on the road. Giants just really caught fire at the right time, the last reg season game vs the Pats really seem get them moving in the right direction and gave them confidence heading into the playoffs. I think you have to give credit where credit is due.

superpunk

Reaction score
Kenny Phillips' assistant-coach hype machine is like a tinker-toy when you compare it to Orlando Scandrick's. Don't bore me with tales of athleticism.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2190305 said:
Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News brings us this nugget in his weekly column.

Giants general manager Jerry Resse takes a shot at the Dallas Cowboys 13 Pro Bowl players saying:

“The team is the face of the New York Giants,” GM Jerry Reese said. “That’s who we are. That’s what we took out of last year. If you play as a team, you go places. Play as individuals and you make it to the first round of the playoffs, then get knocked out. That’s just the way it is. Teams get through the ups and downs and the adversity of a long season.”

This is a clear shot at the Cowboys. They meet November 2 at the Meadowlands and December 14 at Texas Stadium on NBC.

I will go along with everything he said.

But he is going a little overboard. Giants got lucky more than once in playoffs.

Dallas didnt follow through on game winning TD
Green Bay - Giants kept missing FG. If INT Machine was leading GB then Giants lose that game

SB - Pats scored what should have been game winning TD at the end of game, when it matters most. The Giants get lucky with a rare Eli evading a sack and a miracle catch

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
YoMick;2190586 said:
I will go along with everything he said.

But he is going a little overboard. Giants got lucky more than once in playoffs.

Dallas didnt follow through on game winning TD
Green Bay - Giants kept missing FG. If INT Machine was leading GB then Giants lose that game

SB - Pats scored what should have been game winning TD at the end of game, when it matters most. The Giants get lucky with a rare Eli evading a sack and a miracle catch

like I said, fluke

and the officiating was a huge part of why they won in Dallas

David

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
dbair1967;2190575 said:
talk about major over exaggeration

David

Im not exagerating. Hes as gifted physically as there has ever been for a safety.

Miami Coaches have said it.

The Giants Scouts are saying it.

CATCH17 has been saying it.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CATCH17;2190596 said:
Im not exagerating. Hes as gifted physically as there has ever been for a safety.

Miami Coaches have said it.

The Giants Scouts are saying it.

CATCH17 has been saying it.

guess that makes him even all the more unimpressive then, because he hardly ever made plays there

David

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
dbair1967;2190589 said:
like I said, fluke

and the officiating was a huge part of why they won in Dallas

David

No. Not like you said, "fluke". A fluke it wasnt.

Its one thing to be lucky... but to be lucky and good is another. The Giants werent just lucky. THAT is why I agree with what he said.

FCBarca

Reaction score
dbair1967;2190572 said:
sure they won...they barely won each of those last 3 games...they did it on the road in the NFC so they deserve some credit, but the fact is they barely outscored their opponents for the entire season and almost assuredly had the worst point differential ever for a championship team...other than Tampa Bay, they could have easily lost any of those other 3 postseason game

like I said, they were a fluke...they were far from the best team in football last year...the only team that I can think of thats anywhere close to the fluke they were would be the 87 Commanders

David

Sounds more like sour grapes...What's wrong with giving credit where credit is due?...There was no luck in beating Dallas in the playoffs and they had every reason to fold against tough teams in Dallas, GB and New England...They didn't and they won so hard to see how they are a fluke...They didn't benefit from some bias in officiating or failure from other teams, they simply won...If nothing else, I begrudgingly applaud it...They deserved to win it all

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
YoMick;2190617 said:

Its one thing to be lucky... but to be lucky and good is another. The Giants werent just lucky. THAT is why I agree with what he said.

then we totally disagree again, because the Giants werent very good and are either the worst or next to the worst championship team ever

David

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
I think he's just talking about the last two years the Giants went to the playoffs; they got knocked out of the first round both times.

Plus, we didn't get knocked out in the first round. :D

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
FCBarca;2190628 said:
Sounds more like sour grapes...What's wrong with giving credit where credit is due?...There was no luck in beating Dallas in the playoffs and they had every reason to fold against tough teams in Dallas, GB and New England...They didn't and they won so hard to see how they are a fluke...They didn't benefit from some bias in officiating or failure from other teams, they simply won...If nothing else, I begrudgingly applaud it...They deserved to win it all

its not sour grapes, its speaking the truth

you can argue about the officiating not having a serious impact on that (Dallas) game all you want, but you'd be wrong because there clearly were 3 or 4 very poor to borderline at best calls, all that went against Dallas....the first one, the offsides on Ware ended up continuing the opening possession and they scored a TD that drive...Romo's intentional grounding call was also incredibly poor, as nobody was rushing him..we outgained them by over 100 yds...amazingly we had 11 penalties to only 3 for them

they won it all and get credit for that, doesnt mean they were a great team and they certainly dont rank anywhere near the top when comparing them to other championship teams

David

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;2190630 said:
then we totally disagree again, because the Giants werent very good and are either the worst or next to the worst championship team ever

David

If the Cowboys had won in the exact same fashion, and I came on here denigrating the championship as a "fluke," I would be excoriated (if not exiled for good). How 'bout a little intellectual honesty?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
YoMick;2190617 said:

Yeah agreed.

This isn't college football where you can have a cake walk schedule and pull off a miracle to win a bowl game.

You have to win 3 or in the Giants case 4 games to get that trophy.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
bbgun;2190640 said:
If the Cowboys had won in the exact same fashion, and I came on here denigrating the championship as a "fluke," I would be excoriated (if not exiled for good). How 'bout a little intellectual honesty?

the Cowboys didnt have a regular season point differential of +22 though, did they?

and yeah, I would have been disappointed if the Cowboys would have had to rely on bogus penalties to win a game they were obviously outplayed in

David

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
dbair1967;2190630 said:

David

I agree that the Giants team was only 2nd to the Steelers winning it a few years ago as worst SB team to win SB. They were just good when they had to be.

But... like the Steelers... when it came down to put up or shut up... THEY DID THEIR PART... THEY DID WHAT THEY HAD TO DO TO WIN.

Its really that simple.

FCBarca

Reaction score
dbair1967;2190637 said:
its not sour grapes, its speaking the truth

you can argue about the officiating not having a serious impact on that (Dallas) game all you want, but you'd be wrong because there clearly were 3 or 4 very poor to borderline at best calls, all that went against Dallas....the first one, the offsides on Ware ended up continuing the opening possession and they scored a TD that drive...Romo's intentional grounding call was also incredibly poor, as nobody was rushing him..we outgained them by over 100 yds...amazingly we had 11 penalties to only 3 for them

they won it all and get credit for that, doesnt mean they were a great team and they certainly dont rank anywhere near the top when comparing them to other championship teams

David

That's a far cry from claiming they won as a fluke, however...Never claimed or credited them with being among the best ever, just that they deserve credit for winning

As for the penalties, that's your take on it but not mine...I have a propensity to blame officiating a lot in many sports but that game, you could 'feel' we weren't going to come out on top once we got to half time...That last Giant drive really took the sails out, they reduced the number of possessions and gave themselves the best chance to win as Dallas gambled on ball control with Barber running the ball so much...It was a calculated risk and it ulimately may have doomed them in that game.

And, frankly, this team has had issues with penalties as it is and never like blaming the officials when the Cowboys had plenty of chances to win that game...It is, as they say, what it is

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
YoMick;2190646 said:
I agree that the Giants team was only 2nd to the Steelers winning it a few years ago as worst SB team to win SB. They were just good when they had to be.

But... like the Steelers... when it came down to put up or shut up... THEY DID THEIR PART... THEY DID WHAT THEY HAD TO DO TO WIN.

Its really that simple.

The Stealers stole the Super Bowl from Seattle, but statisically they were far better team than the Giants were during the regular season...I think only the 87 Commanders (2nd strike season, where scabs played 3 games) were worse than that Giants team that won last yr

David

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Last time I checked, the Giants were the Super Bowl Champions.

You can talk all you want if at the end of the day, you back it up and you are holding up the Lombardi Trophy.