NFL and the Cowboys lost their luster?

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Everything that is popular eventually runs its' course. I don't see near the interest in football and other things like many of us in Gen X in these new generations. As Gen X and the Boomers age and begin to die out I am thinking the popularity of the NFL will go down. I guess Millennials are into it but I don't think it is to the same level as our generation. I could be wrong, but Gen Z'ers are so attached to screens and braindead Tik-Tok culture that I am not sure the NFL or other old standards (movies/sports/etc) will survive. I could be wrong.
Times are evolving, and the NFL is adapting to some of (ie. streaming) and taking advantage of the $$$$ coming in from it. One thing the NFL has done is market itself globally and this appears to be their next step for the last few years. MLB has been in much more trouble than the NFL the last number of years, and these sports leagues look to what the NFL is doing for their next steps. As long as the Networks and Mega Streaming Services keep paying these outrageous $$$$ the NFL will be fine

stiletto

Reaction score
Times are evolving, and the NFL is adapting to some of (ie. streaming) and taking advantage of the $$$$ coming in from it. One thing the NFL has done is market itself globally and this appears to be their next step for the last few years. MLB has been in much more trouble than the NFL the last number of years, and these sports leagues look to what the NFL is doing for their next steps. As long as the Networks and Mega Streaming Services keep paying these outrageous $$$$ the NFL will be fine
Agree. I think it is more of a consumption thing also.15-20 years from now when we are retired and the next generations are the consumers (money spenders), not sure if they are going to support the NFL/MLB, etc the way we did. It's possible but the Movie industry/Box office is taking major damage now but that could also be the "product" being produced sucking. If the NFL evolves wrongly, that kind of thing could also happen. Given all the rule changes, terrible refereeing, etc who knows...?

stiletto

Reaction score
Who do you guys listen to?
Honestly, the best people especially around the Cowboys are the ones who don't have shows online. Calvin Watkins, Michael Gehlken, David Moore. I follow them on Twitter though. The YouTuber's are kind of scary actually. Cavanaugh seems like a mental health case, the 105.3 guys are all pretty much lame. There's really not much good Cowboys content. Law is ok sometimes, he's probably the best but I don't like the hip/hop rap stuff always going on in his productions. Just not my thing but I understand it attracts a demographic. So from a marketing standpoint, he does a great job and he's not a total homer.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Mark Holmes? LOL!! Isn't that the dude who looks homeless and stole the Jobu doll from Major League as his schtick? That guy is a total Homer...Hopefully no one watches him for insight on the Cowboys because you will just become dumber. I agree that overall the Sports media is switching over to podcasts/streaming platforms but a lot of them are just guys that bought a Costco/Amazon web cam and are playing TV producer. I think it will evolve over time but right now the Cowboys content is pretty terrible overall. Fisher, Downey, Mark Holmes? blech...

I'm pointing out examples of people that are using YouTube and podcasts that are taking views away from ESPN and such.

gtb1943

Reaction score
The real problem the NFL has like everything else entertainment is how many choices there are today
The worst thing the NFL could do is start taking its most loyal audience for granted and ignore them in favor of those that have the attention span of gnats.
The population steadily grows but the number of NFL fans and those interested is not growing as fast if at all. The trend of the last ten years supports that.
As they become a lesser percentage of the potential audience, money will start to plateau and then fall
the NFL needs a good plan to make sure they keep the money coming.
Whether they do or not we will see

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Mark Holmes? LOL!! Isn't that the dude who looks homeless and stole the Jobu doll from Major League as his schtick? That guy is a total Homer...Hopefully no one watches him for insight on the Cowboys because you will just become dumber. I agree that overall the Sports media is switching over to podcasts/streaming platforms but a lot of them are just guys that bought a Costco/Amazon web cam and are playing TV producer. I think it will evolve over time but right now the Cowboys content is pretty terrible overall. Fisher, Downey, Mark Holmes? blech...
I agree 100%! Especially on the Mark Holmes take. The other day Mike Fisher was going after a Twitter user called pretty ricky213. Calling him a wanna be journalist with no degree or history. Yet pretty Ricky was breaking news 2 hours faster than Schefter and actually making Schefter and Rappaport look foolish. They were reporting no co tract talks between Lions and their QB. Yet pretty Ricky broke the extension a few hours later. I think journalist are seeing the writing on the wall and that includes stations like 105.3 the fan. I can't remeber the last time I listened to those hacks.

stiletto

Reaction score
I agree 100%! Especially on the Mark Holmes take. The other day Mike Fisher was going after a Twitter user called pretty ricky213. Calling him a wanna be journalist with no degree or history. Yet pretty Ricky was breaking news 2 hours faster than Schefter and actually making Schefter and Rappaport look foolish. They were reporting no co tract talks between Lions and their QB. Yet pretty Ricky broke the extension a few hours later. I think journalist are seeing the writing on the wall and that includes stations like 105.3 the fan. I can't remeber the last time I listened to those hacks.
Yeah, I don't know how sports radio/tv is going to stay in business much longer than a few years. Dying formats. A lot of the talking heads on shows have spun up their own podcasts/streaming in anticipation of the inevitable.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
The NFL isn't in trouble at all. NFLN going down is more due to people consuming content on YouTube and social media versus watching traditional TV programming.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Who do you guys listen to?
I started watching the Pat McAfee show more than the NFL Network, although, I think they both have their good points. It's just a matter of taste. After watching the NFLN for so long, it just got a bit tiresome with the same old thing all the time. Pat McAfee show might befall the same fate, in time, tbh.

Last edited:

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Cowboys just got a check for 465 million...part of the 13 billion dollar profit the NFL made last year. I think they'll be OK. Just cause some are mad at Jerry and Dak, the sky is falling.
The ridiculous money of new media titans like Amazon drove that. That model is unsustainable.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Disn't the last Super Bowl take in the highest viewership ever? Powered by Taylor Swift, football interest is very high right now.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Between the NFL network crashing and burning before our eyes and the Cowboy's perhaps following a similar path, what is the state of NFL Football these days? Seems like money overall has gotten tight suddenly and the NFL (who was a cash cow for sure) might be falling on hard times. Is Jerry readying the tea leaves (or bottom of the black label bottle) and thinking the glory money days are over? Can't remember it being this way before. Amazon Prime taking over Thursday football killed the NFL network. ESPN is a shell of what it was 10 years ago. Bottom line is the NFL and more specifically the Cowboys becoming irrelevant in today world and hence excitement is cratering? PS. We can always blame Global warming for everything. It is toasty out there.
This is a great post. It will make some mad though. I think the actual game has been hurt. Leagues rules have helped to water the game down. The endless marketing and wokeness have turned off long time fans. That said the new media money is creating the perception that the league is on a high. It isn’t. The business model is not sustainable. If the league was smart they would pivot now and get back to the basics to get the core base interested. They won’t though. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

The Cowboys are a product of 3 decades of futility. Other teams have stepped into the void of the glamour teams. Chiefs are tops now. Dallas will still be worth a ton but it will continue to decline until it proves it can win.

Forneymike

Reaction score
Between the NFL network crashing and burning before our eyes and the Cowboy's perhaps following a similar path, what is the state of NFL Football these days? Seems like money overall has gotten tight suddenly and the NFL (who was a cash cow for sure) might be falling on hard times. Is Jerry readying the tea leaves (or bottom of the black label bottle) and thinking the glory money days are over? Can't remember it being this way before. Amazon Prime taking over Thursday football killed the NFL network. ESPN is a shell of what it was 10 years ago. Bottom line is the NFL and more specifically the Cowboys becoming irrelevant in today world and hence excitement is cratering? PS. We can always blame Global warming for everything. It is toasty out there.
The NFL just wrote a check to every team for 435 million. The highest rated TV shows are all NFL. They do what all companies do in cutting costs from inefficiencies and merging their own network with larger networks possibly. If the NFL is on its last leg like you say then what are the other sports? They should disband because the NFL is king of all sports and it's not close. Prime gives them more money. Netflix is getting into the NFL business. ESPN just spent more money on NFL rights than they ever have. I'm guessing you think Jerry needs to get his resume updated since all of it is going in the crapper....LOL.....Why do you think money has gotten tight? Because we didn't spend on free agency? We are paying off a credit card that got maxxed out a few years ago. I think the NFL will be good for a couple of more years to stay in business.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The NFL and the Cowboys are a long way from falling on hard times and losing their luster. Lol As for the NFL Network, there’s an over saturation of NFL shows/podcasts that can be found online and TV with talking heads yapping.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Ever since. The Kapernick fiasco it has lost it's Luster. The NBA is a bigger hoke

stiletto

Reaction score
The NFL just wrote a check to every team for 435 million. The highest rated TV shows are all NFL. They do what all companies do in cutting costs from inefficiencies and merging their own network with larger networks possibly. If the NFL is on its last leg like you say then what are the other sports? They should disband because the NFL is king of all sports and it's not close. Prime gives them more money. Netflix is getting into the NFL business. ESPN just spent more money on NFL rights than they ever have. I'm guessing you think Jerry needs to get his resume updated since all of it is going in the crapper....LOL.....Why do you think money has gotten tight? Because we didn't spend on free agency? We are paying off a credit card that got maxxed out a few years ago. I think the NFL will be good for a couple of more years to stay in business.
There's no immediate problem with the NFL's finances. They are a juggernaut. With that being said over time the demographic and consumer is going to change just like with anything else. Kids when I was growing up, we all had t-shirts, pajamas, got birthday cakes with Cowboys stars on them, etc. Kids today aren't doing that. They are attached to their device screens and it's all they think about. Instagram, Discord, Tik-Tok. Even boys don't go outside and play football anymore or ride bikes!!

You can't tell me that the future consumer is going to consume the same way Boomers and Gen-X did. Those are the two largest consumers right now of the NFL and we are aging out! So it will remain to be seen if the NFL stays as popular 20-30 years from now. They are going to have to adapt a lot more than they already have. Games may have to become short 15 minute clashes to keep attention spans. LOL!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The NFL is fine.

TV landscape is changing drastically due to streaming services and things like YouTube.

Thats all. The NFL still attracts more eyeballs than just about any other TV product though.
That’s the one negative, games being streamed where you need an app. It could turn some fans off. You need an app to watch Thursday night games. You needed an app to watch the playoff game last season between the Chiefs and Dolphins. We may need an app to watch the Super Bowl someday.