NFL and the Cowboys lost their luster?

conner01

Reaction score
Between the NFL network crashing and burning before our eyes and the Cowboy's perhaps following a similar path, what is the state of NFL Football these days? Seems like money overall has gotten tight suddenly and the NFL (who was a cash cow for sure) might be falling on hard times. Is Jerry readying the tea leaves (or bottom of the black label bottle) and thinking the glory money days are over? Can't remember it being this way before. Amazon Prime taking over Thursday football killed the NFL network. ESPN is a shell of what it was 10 years ago. Bottom line is the NFL and more specifically the Cowboys becoming irrelevant in today world and hence excitement is cratering? PS. We can always blame Global warming for everything. It is toasty out there.
The nfl just had another record year in revenue lol

conner01

Reaction score
The NFL is fine.

TV landscape is changing drastically due to streaming services and things like YouTube.

Thats all. The NFL still attracts more eyeballs than just about any other TV product though.
Revenue is soaring and that’s why owners aren’t as concerned about salaries as fans are. The pie just keeps getting bigger and the owners still get the biggest piece of that pie

conner01

Reaction score
He's just throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks.... Nothing to see here....
Exactly. Teams just got a big fat 400 million dollar check from the revenue continued growth. The cowboys financially is super strong. The fan base is down on them but once the season starts, if they are winning that fan base will also be fine

stiletto

Reaction score
Revenue is soaring and that’s why owners aren’t as concerned about salaries as fans are. The pie just keeps getting bigger and the owners still get the biggest piece of that pie
I do think it is demographics though in the end. Gen-X/Boomers are the primary consumer right now for the NFL. When they "die off/retire/stop buying", I do think the NFL will contract some. Gen-Z and Millennials are just not as interested. Some still are for sure but it is not the same as the previous generations like most of the people that post on this forum. I think most people who have younger kids/teens now know what I am talking about.

https://www.polygon.com/anime/24043221/anime-audience-viewership-numbers-bigger-than-nfl

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Between the NFL network crashing and burning before our eyes and the Cowboy's perhaps following a similar path, what is the state of NFL Football these days? Seems like money overall has gotten tight suddenly and the NFL (who was a cash cow for sure) might be falling on hard times. Is Jerry readying the tea leaves (or bottom of the black label bottle) and thinking the glory money days are over? Can't remember it being this way before. Amazon Prime taking over Thursday football killed the NFL network. ESPN is a shell of what it was 10 years ago. Bottom line is the NFL and more specifically the Cowboys becoming irrelevant in today world and hence excitement is cratering? PS. We can always blame Global warming for everything. It is toasty out there.
NFL Network was a venture the league kept pouring money into in order to attract viewers it would never net. NFL is for NFL fans or people who say that enjoy professional football. Its core audience would never grow beyond that. The league saw the writing on the wall 10 - 15 years ago but was too stubborn in seeing the light, not unlike its approach to NFL Europe.

The Dallas Cowboys franchise may eventually follow a similar path but there will be dozens of NFL franchises that will nosedive before it does.

NFL football is just fine financially. It has not even neared its breakeven point.

Jerry Jones is several things. He is particularly someone who can squeeze blood from a turnip. If there is any conceivable profit, Jones will find it.

In my opinion, Amazon Prime is not killing NFL Network due to broadcasting Thursday Night Football. NFL Network is a blip in a sea of 500 channels. It is just overlooked.

Overscheduling is killing NFL scheduling. The NFL produces a finite product. That produce is composed of an average of 16 matchups per week. Over time, the league has sprinkled up optimum game pairings among multiple networks in order to maximize their broadcast rights revenue.

The scheme can only work with so much. Sunday afternoons remain the optimal gametime for NFL games. There are so many prime games that will be subtracted from it to supply other weekly viewing slots. Thursdays will typically pull the short straw. And too many fans have either voluntarily become junkies of the sport, or slipped into indifference for scheduling itself to really care, UNTIL they are confronted with 'too many bad games' outside of Sunday afternoons.

The league provides product for all its fans. It is meeting the demand for its product when only a portion of its consumer base scream loudly they are not getting enough football.

ESPN's downfall began when it stopped being what it was originally created--a sports news channel. It has also attempted to be a jack-of-all-trades for a portion of its audience as well. News broadcasting is a niche service product. Morphing it into what it is not instead of improving on its specialization may boost profitability for a time but that gain will slowly erode as new competitors appear and focus on news delivery only. ESPN is not the only service learning this hard but obvious lesson.

Nothing material lasts forever. The NFL is no different in that regard. That said, the league exists in a time when its product can literally be viewed around the world. Half a century will pass and the league remain relevant. Heck. Only the NBA may end up with more relevant longevity of the four major North American team sports than the NFL by the turn of this century.

Soccer will remain relevant by comparison to the NFL in the end--whenever that may be. Thankfully, I will be pushing up daisies long before that ever happens. "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!" :facepalm::laugh:

Praxit

Reaction score
..here it is, plain n simple. Dallas wins, everyone wins. Including NFL.. ;)..

0x0.jpg

bigE79

Reaction score
ESPN hasn't been relevant since the 80s imo,the original crew were very good then went to crap when the 90s hit and it's got even worse since.

stiletto

Reaction score
ESPN hasn't been relevant since the 80s imo,the original crew were very good then went to crap when the 90s hit and it's got even worse since.
There's really no need for a company like ESPN anymore unless they become strictly digital streaming and stream games for almost free. They're trying to do it but they were beat to the punch by Netflix and Amazon, so now they have to play catch up and aren't doing it very well IMO.

Fortunately for them, they are backed by Disney money but at the same time Disney is losing money hand over fist too, so who knows what will happen. Wouldn't be surprised if ESPN is gone just like Sears or some other big company that no one thought could vanish. It will be interesting to see.

wecasa

Reaction score
Holy cow. Yes the star is tarnished a lot. But the NFL? Hardly. Come to Kansas city and see how down the NFL is. I hate it. Chiefs fans are the worst.

Ghost12

Reaction score
The NFL is as popular as it has ever been, and is making more money than ever.

The NFL Network is not "crashing and burning". They are revamping it for their upcoming partnership with ESPN.

Ghost12

Reaction score
You must not follow college football. ESPN has almost singlehandedly shaped college sports and the recent realignments.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This is a great post. It will make some mad though. I think the actual game has been hurt. Leagues rules have helped to water the game down. The endless marketing and wokeness have turned off long time fans. That said the new media money is creating the perception that the league is on a high. It isn’t. The business model is not sustainable. If the league was smart they would pivot now and get back to the basics to get the core base interested. They won’t though. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

The Cowboys are a product of 3 decades of futility. Other teams have stepped into the void of the glamour teams. Chiefs are tops now. Dallas will still be worth a ton but it will continue to decline until it proves it can win.
You know that's on show me all the people supporting that YouTube that's it you are the only people who think that and then you say that you think is the Amazon deal that is part of the NFL making deals the NFL is not hurting at all literally zero drop off the salary cap keeps going up yearly the ratings are at an all time high stadiums are all full I I don't see where any of this is coming from but hey you need to change your name why Jerry just isn't good enough your post or as bad as his that's one of the worst posts I've seen all month and that's saying something it literally makes no sense and it has no validity whatsoever it's so far from a fact its delusional rantings.. but carry on tin foil hatter, that's your new name tin foil Hatter...lol

DCwarrior

Reaction score
I think they saw saw the writing on the wall which led to the partnership with gambling. The monies generated from that will keep them ahead of the curve for the foreseeable future.
I am already tired of the commercials. Every break is one or two gambling ads. People are stupid and will ruin their lives betting on these sports.

stiletto

Reaction score
I think they saw saw the writing on the wall which led to the partnership with gambling. The monies generated from that will keep them ahead of the curve for the foreseeable future.
I am already tired of the commercials. Every break is one or two gambling ads. People are stupid and will ruin their lives betting on these sports.
That's a good point, the NFL also moved a franchise to Vegas and now MLB is doing the same. I don't think it is a coincidence.

blueblood70

Reaction score
As much as that might be true you just realize that all sports are doing it therefore the NFL is no different than anyone else, therefore they're not at all affected the way this original poster is talking about not at all there's not a single drop off or a single sign at all saying that they're leveling out let alone dropping off...

I mean when the salary cap keeps going up people are raising ticket prices ratings are at an all time high you have people like Amazon and some of these other streaming services fighting and outbidding others for having a single game... I mean literally the original poster had no reason to post this because it's not true at all somehow, I think he was in a really unvented room spray painting something o_O..

.:muttley::lmao2: