NFL.com coach rankings

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't have a ton of confidence the next guy will be great. It's hard to hire a great coach.

But I have a significant amount of confidence Garrett will not be a great coach given we've seen him now for 7+ years. So, another missed playoffs in 2018 and I am will to take that risk. It's pointless at that point to go into a 9th season with Garrett in charge.
Pointless? Lol

It’s been pointless for over two decades IMO.

Parcells was our last great hope. We’re totally at Jerry’s mercy now the stadium was built. Garrett is a product of Jerry’s mess. Bring on the next mess if you insist but I’d prefer this mess based on what I’ve seen last 25 years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ask any opposing fan. Who would you rather have? Jerry or Jason ?

No one I’ve spoken with would take Jerry because of the limits it places on your football operations not allowing HC to have enough control.

Your left with coaches like we’ve had since Jimmy left.

The only hope for change is a total collapse of the team or revenue which is the only time Jerry has pursued a high caliber HC and at least tried to stay out of the way initially.

Anything less and we’re basically screwed dependent on a coach influencing Jerry in bringing in enough talent to overcome all of the dysfunction.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

No one I’ve spoken with would take Jerry because of the limits it places on your football operations not allowing HC to have enough control.

I'd take Jerry in a second. We've been good on scouting personnel for years now. Our problems are all at the coaching level, particularly on offense and game management.

Jerry's main failing now is keeping Garrett around.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Belichek was 41-55 his first six years as head coach. Then he got Tom Brady. Just saying.
He's the last coach to win a playoff game coaching the Browns, and he did it that year with Vinnie Testaverde at QB. He beat the Patriots that year in the playoffs. Anyone who can win in that cursed football town has some mojo happening.

Them

Reaction score
Can you read? 15th

Yeah buddy...matter of fact I can read!...I was asking a question because I didn't read the linked article.
But in your own unmannered way you gave me the answer....thanks!...:cool:

Sydla

Reaction score

Your left with coaches like we’ve had since Jimmy left.

The only hope for change is a total collapse of the team or revenue which is the only time Jerry has pursued a high caliber HC and at least tried to stay out of the way initially.

Anything less and we’re basically screwed dependent on a coach influencing Jerry in bringing in enough talent to overcome all of the dysfunction.

Not sure what fans you talk to but I live in the heart of Eagles country and they love Garrett. They hope Jerry keeps him employed forever.

Sydla

Reaction score
Pointless? Lol

It’s been pointless for over two decades IMO.

Parcells was our last great hope. We’re totally at Jerry’s mercy now the stadium was built. Garrett is a product of Jerry’s mess. Bring on the next mess if you insist but I’d prefer this mess based on what I’ve seen last 25 years.

Yes. It’s pointless to keep a guy as your head coach that continually fails to take the Cowboys to the top of the league.

I mean are you arguing that we should keep Garrett if, say, we go three more years with him and he still doesn’t really hve any more postseason success?

Sydla

Reaction score
He inherited enough talent on defense to mold it into a top defense . How else would you explain a top defense in 2003?

So he took the existing talent and turned it into a much better defense than the 2-3 previous years?

mcmvp

Reaction score
Not sure what fans you talk to but I live in the heart of Eagles country and they love Garrett. They hope Jerry keeps him employed forever.

True...and hope that Jerry lives forever, or Stephen is a Jerry clone

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes. It’s pointless to keep a guy as your head coach that continually fails to take the Cowboys to the top of the league.

I mean are you arguing that we should keep Garrett if, say, we go three more years with him and he still doesn’t really hve any more postseason success?
Depends on the talent we have. If we still don’t have a Top 5 defense or Elite QB I won’t expect more success.

I’ve been in this mode for over 20 years. What’s 3 more?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So he took the existing talent and turned it into a much better defense than the 2-3 previous years?
He added a few pieces . Like I said 2003 was one of the best coaching jobs in Cowboy history.

But then we slipped back and he wouldn’t have made the playoffs his last year if Romo hadnt propelled us. And that was after having a couple good drafts.

Too much meddling by Jerry and not going after a franchise QB sooner. Bill being a defensive coach didn’t place enough value on an elite QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Garrett had Tony Romo. One of the most prolific passers in history. It did not matter.
By the time they surrounded Romo with a better team he was too battered. We were poised in 2014 to be perineal contenders but then Romo injury and poor decisions with Murray and Dez broke up the core that propelled us. Too many poor risk and drafts prevented us from building a better defense. Too many mistakes whoever that falls on.

Now we’re basically starting over or retooling trying to build around an OL and RB. But we’ll need another elite QB or Defense . We’re just not organizationally set up for success.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sure, but it all starts with Jerry and we haven’t any more success with how many coaches the last couple decades?

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
To be honest, 15th is probably reasonable. I am not necessarily a fan, nor do I believe he is top 10, but I could argue he could ranked a bit higher.

The more telling aspect of this ranking is that the aggregate Cowboy players are better than 15th and maybe closer to top ten in talent alone.

Draw your own conclusions, but a middle of the road coach with better than average talent might be expected to do better than Garrett has done.

Ducks for cover :)

LLLOOLLL, you know it's coming. LLLOOLLL

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Have I been Rip Van Wrinkle the last few seasons, when has Chuckie doll coached a team and he is a top 10 coach?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
By the time they surrounded Romo with a better team he was too battered. We were poised in 2014 to be perineal contenders but then Romo injury and poor decisions with Murray and Dez broke up the core that propelled us. Too many poor risk and drafts prevented us from building a better defense. Too many mistakes whoever that falls on.

Now we’re basically starting over or retooling trying to build around an OL and RB. But we’ll need another elite QB or Defense . We’re just not organizationally set up for success.

Brady hasn’t needed great teams around him.

Scheme has played a bigger factor than team more times then not for Brady.

Brady would be retired in a Jason Garrett offense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Brady hasn’t needed great teams around him.

Scheme has played a bigger factor than team more times then not for Brady.

Brady would be retired in a Jason Garrett offense.
Great talent doesn’t need as much supporting cast. One year he took a 31st ranked defense to a Super Bowl.

But like most even most great talents he did need a better team around him to win it all.

Bill the great defensive mind of this era and Brady perhaps the GOAT at least this era were a match in heaven.

Coaching does matter but not as much as the talent they assemble.