NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Cowboys are "playing hardball" with RT Doug Free

johnnyd

Reaction score
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Cowboys are "playing hardball" with RT Doug Free, and still requesting a "substantial" pay cut.

Per Rapoport, the Cowboys are "trying to draw it out" because they believe "time (is) on their side." That's true, but the Cowboys lost leverage when the Dolphins signed Tyson Clabo. Free — who is due $7 million — appears more than content to wait, otherwise he would have caved months ago. If the Cowboys are asking Free to take a $5-$6 million cut, he may just gamble he could get more on the open market, even though tackle-needy teams are drying up.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/331915318064726017

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
The Cowboys may have lost some leverage when Clabo signed w/ Miami, but Free also lost some leverage when that happened as well. One less team looking for a RT.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
He's all but gone. Love how they're making him take an almost 6 million dollar paycut. He's all but gone.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
I feel like Free has almost all of the leverage in this deal. If Winston signs in DET he really will.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQcowboyJR;5079839 said:
I feel like Free has almost all of the leverage in this deal. If Winston signs in DET he really will.

Yep.

Quit playing games until all other options are gone.

Sign Winston now!

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
stasheroo;5079852 said:
Yep.

Sign Winston now!

Justice is still available. And Gaither. And Max Starks. Cowboys' fans are being way too narrow-minded about this.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheRomoSexual;5079858 said:
Justice is still available. And Gaither. And Max Starks. Cowboys' fans are being way too narrow-minded about this.

Agree. If the Cowboys are waiting, they're only in the market for a swing OT. And there will be a few of those on the market sooner or later if we don't like the options already on the squad.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;5079839 said:

Like others have pointed out, both the supply and demand dries up when a player signs with another team.

It comes down to how many teams would be willing to pay Free even $3m now that superior tackles have gone for $3.5m. The market is set and he is not as marketable once that happens.

I would offer him the same deal as Clabo or a little bit less and if refuses to take it hold him through TC and then cut him before the season starts. If he is not on the roster that first game then he gets nada.

Before that it's no skin off the Cowboys butts and they already have the cap room to sign their draft picks.

How much 'leverage' you think he would have at that point? In a game of chicken the Cowboys have quite a bit of 'leverage.'

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
stasheroo;5079852 said:
Yep.

Sign Winston now!

If Winston signs with Detroit who is the mystery team that is going to pay Free anything worthwhile?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheRomoSexual;5079858 said:

Would you actually want any of them?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins;5079880 said:
If Winston signs with Detroit who is the mystery team that is going to pay Free anything worthwhile?

Unfortunately, it would likely be Dallas.

Eskimo

Reaction score
What I would suggest is to keep him until we need the cap space.

However, we don't let him come to practice because he could get injured. We just keep him in storage until we need the cap space. If we don't need the cap space through TC or Preseason we just keep him on ice. That way he won't have a chance to catch on with someone else and we still have him in case something unfortunate happens and we end up needing a starter at OT.

The second we need the cap space we release him and move on. If we don't need the cap space we just release him at the end of preseason and then he can try and catch on somewhere else.

I don't see why we should do Free any favours after the two horrific seasons he has put up and after being paid $17M over two seasons for bottom third of the league OT play. Free should be ashamed about the money he has earned compared to the level of play he has delivered and be thankful we gave him a chance to earn a spot on the team at a non-vet minimum price.

Once he is released I don't want to see him back with the team. I'd rather just go in another direction if the team still feels it needs a vet with experience.

jnday

Reaction score
stasheroo;5079887 said:
Would you actually want any of them?

I really liked Gaither before his injuries and the lazy streak started. When he was a starter with the Ravens, he was very good. A giant of a man with unlimited potential, but he has the motivation of a rock. What a waste.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
jnday;5079934 said:
I really liked Gaither before his injuries and the lazy streak started. When he was a starter with the Ravens, he was very good. A giant of a man with unlimited potential, but he has the motivation of a rock. What a waste.

He had a sizable following here. Many wanted us to pursue him. Thankfully, we never did.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
They shouldn't even be playing hard ball.

Either cut him and sign someone to start like Winston.

Cut him and sign a backup to Parnell.

Why even dance around with the issue? The guy was absolutely horrific.

If Dallas had played hardball with Roy Williams the WR it would have been just the same. The guy sucks and either he takes a pay cut to save his spot or he gets cut. Move on.

jnday

Reaction score
Vintage;5079954 said:
He had a sizable following here. Many wanted us to pursue him. Thankfully, we never did.

I read somewhere that Dallas checked with the Ravens about his trade value, but it was right after his back injury. I will give Jerry credit for not trading for a player without checking him out. At 6'9'' 340lbs, the guy was a monster. A lazy monster that had spinal problems and was wanting a big payday.

fortdick

Reaction score
The leverage Free has is that he is better than Parnell. If he wasn't, he would have been cut already. He knows he is better, Callahan knows he is better, Garrett knows he is better and the Jones know he is better. It seems only those that parrot what they have read here think Parnell is better. Watch film, he isn't.

That all being said, Free is the best option available at this point. Why should he take a pay cut so that.they can sign someone that might take his place.

Mark this down if they cut Free, he will get a contract similar to Clabo's somewhere else and have a solid season. We will sign someone else's cast off as a bandaid at RT.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
fortdick;5079992 said:
The leverage Free has is that he is better than Parnell. If he wasn't, he would have been cut already. He knows he is better, Callahan knows he is better, Garrett knows he is better and the Jones know he is better. It seems only those that parrot what they have read here think Parnell is better. Watch film, he isn't.

That all being said, Free is the best option available at this point. Why should he take a pay cut so that.they can sign someone that might take his place.

Mark this down if they cut Free, he will get a contract similar to Clabo's somewhere else and have a solid season. We will sign someone else's cast off as a bandaid at RT.

:bow:

Zordon

Reaction score
fortdick;5079992 said:

Ok, I agree with most of what you said but what makes you think he'll sign somewhere else and have a solid season? What other teams are looking for RTs?