NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Cowboys are "playing hardball" with RT Doug Free

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
TheRomoSexual;5080319 said:
I watched every game. You, however, apparently did not if you though Free outplayed Parnell.

I liked Parnell's play, and believe he played well enough to earn a shot at starting.

However, Free's play also improved greatly when he platooned with Parnell.

If we compare Parnell to the Free we saw before platooning, Parnell was the better player.

But Free was at least slightly better after they began platooning. Not sure why, or if we'll see that Free again if he goes back to full-time starting.

I do believe people fail to recognize the quality of Free's play after platooning started based on his poor play for most of the season.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
gimmesix;5081465 said:
I liked Parnell's play, and believe he played well enough to earn a shot at starting.

However, Free's play also improved greatly when he platooned with Parnell.

If we compare Parnell to the Free we saw before platooning, Parnell was the better player.

But Free was at least slightly better after they began platooning. Not sure why, or if we'll see that Free again if he goes back to full-time starting.

I do believe people fail to recognize the quality of Free's play after platooning started based on his poor play for most of the season.

I'm not entirely sure it matters that he played better when splitting snaps.

It's not like the team can even think about having him take half the snaps even if they do restructure his deal down to bare minimum.

It might be the lone bright spot of his season but Dallas doesn't need a guy who takes half the snaps. They need a guy who can take all the snaps and when Doug Free was doing that he was getting abused.

I would like to think he could recapture some of his early magic but I also don't want to consider the alternative if he can't. I'm not sure I can think of many guys who's play dropped off so significantly, at an early age, and so dramatically who actually turned it around and finished their career as solid players.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hoofbite;5081476 said:
I'm not entirely sure it matters that he played better when splitting snaps.

It's not like the team can even think about having him take half the snaps even if they do restructure his deal down to bare minimum.

It might be the lone bright spot of his season but Dallas doesn't need a guy who takes half the snaps. They need a guy who can take all the snaps and when Doug Free was doing that he was getting abused.

Exactly! How dysfunctional is a scenario where you have two offensive linemen sharing snaps?

Who does that? You're either starting or not. I can't remember another team doing something like that.

I would like to think he could recapture some of his early magic but I also don't want to consider the alternative if he can't. I'm not sure I can think of many guys who's play dropped off so significantly, at an early age, and so dramatically who actually turned it around and finished their career as solid players.

Neither can I. And I see his issues as much mental as physical. And usually, when the game gets to a player mentally, it's over.

And I would much rather place my trust in a player like WInston rather than hoping that Free somehow turns things around.

Admit your mistake, learn from it, and move on. But do not perpetuate it.