NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Cowboys are "playing hardball" with RT Doug Free

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;5080648 said:
I don't understand what is taking so long myself. To me, you ask the guy to take a paycut or clean out his locker.

I don't get the strategy in letting this thing drag out. Like other have said, you can cut a player and name them a June first release, so there is nothing magical about that date.

Either he signs a new contract with the paycut included or you help him carry his stuff to his car. I don't understand the waiting game we are doing right now.

It is very simple why it is taking so long. The Cowboys have no real interest in Winston or Clabo when he was available. They would have signed one of them a long time ago. I think they would rather keep Free and they are playing hard ball to see if he will budge and take a pay cut. In the end Free is not going anywhere and his pay cut will not be what Jerry is asking. It will be lower but Free is here to stay.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
rat2k8;5080662 said:
It is very simple why it is taking so long. The Cowboys have no real interest in Winston or Clabo when he was available. They would have signed one of them a long time ago. I think they would rather keep Free and they are playing hard ball to see if he will budge and take a pay cut. In the end Free is not going anywhere and his pay cut will not be what Jerry is asking. It will be lower but Free is here to stay.

Yea, I think it is pretty clear they want to keep Free, but at a reduced price. Personally, I would have gone with Clabo myself, I just don't see Free being significantly better than last year.

jrumann59

Reaction score
TheRomoSexual;5079858 said:
Justice is still available. And Gaither. And Max Starks. Cowboys' fans are being way too narrow-minded about this.

Winston "Turnstile" Justice, Jared "I am a LT" Gaither, and Max "E Pad" Starks. One never been, one flash in the pan, and one over the hill. Only one that I think could outplay Free or Parnell would be Gaither but you have to hire someone to stroke his ego every week.

jrumann59

Reaction score
TheRomoSexual;5080319 said:
I watched every game. You, however, apparently did not if you though Free outplayed Parnell.

They were more or less even with the tie going to Parnell because he cost less. Both are mirror images of each other in pass blocking, Free can't handle bull rushes and parnell can't handle speed rushes. Parnell is a better run blocker than free but really it is the difference between a flat tire (free) or an almost flat tire (parnell), unless you can figure either one of them out you will most likely sit on the side of the road waiting for assistance.

fortdick

Reaction score
TheRomoSexual;5080319 said:
I watched every game. You, however, apparently did not if you though Free outplayed Parnell.

Then answer why Free was the starter if Parnell was better? I really want to know why you think that was?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Erik_H;5080335 said:
I agree that there's no way we should keep Free at his current rate, but it doesn't really wash out the same. I think (and the numbers may be a bit off) that he's currently on the books for 10 mil in signing bonus. That doesn't count any of his salary. I just think we are trying to work out a way to make that signing bonus spread out over 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Then I would say that's a horrible plan. Keeping a guy simply because you wish to spread his cap hit out over an additional year is just foolish.

In terms of it being a wash, maybe I'm just overlooking something.

If you were to get $5M in space this year and you entered the year with $4M in cap space to roll over.

Or

If you were to $3M in cap space this year and you entered the year with $6M in cap space to roll over.

Dallas currently has $4.4M in cap space. Cutting free will drop his cap charge by $7M, giving them $11.4M.

If it was an equal split, Dallas would have $9.4M after freeing up the $5M.

Whatever they enter the season with under the actual split of money is going to be $2M more than what they would have entered the season with if it would have been an equal split. That rollover just adds to the set cap next year.

So they will essentially take that $2M difference and increase Dallas' team cap by $2M, provided that Dallas actually enteres the season with at least $2M in cap space.

If the cap is set at $125M next year.

Scenario 1: $3M/$7M split with Dallas spending $9M in cap space afterward, entering the season with $2M in cap space.

$3/$7M split: $2M to roll over = $127M team cap. Next year Free has dead money of $7M.

Scenario 2: $5M/$5M split with Dallas spending $9M in cap space afterward, entering the season with $2M in cap space.

$5M/$5M split: $0M to roll over = $125M team cap. Next year Free has dead money of $5M.

Like I said, maybe I'm missing something but so long as Dallas has the difference available to roll over it seems like it's just gonna come out the same in the long run.

If we cut him right now, it would be 10M this year. If we cut him right now and designate him a June 1, it's 3 mil this year and 7 mil in 2014.

If we keep him one more year, then cut him as a June 1 cut NEXT year, that 10 mil spreads out over 2013, 2014 and 2015.

I think the Cowboys desire to do this is what is driving this whole thing and Free knowing that is his only leverage. The Cowboy don't want to eat 7 mil all in 2014, but eventually will if Free insists on refusing the pay cut since his current salary outweighs any savings they'd get from spreading out the hit.

Well, you'd have to include a base salary in there so who knows. Current base salary of $7M the only way I'd be willing to keep him on board would be if he would reduce it down to $1M.

If we assume $1M, that makes the number a little closer to $11M in cap charges for Doug Free to be on the roster and get cut next year. $4M would come this year and $3M next year and $4M the following.

The difference really isn't that great. Certainly not worth considering keeping the guy because of it.

honyock

Reaction score
fortdick;5080770 said:
Then answer why Free was the starter if Parnell was better? I really want to know why you think that was?

At the risk of jumping into this back and forth, here's my answer:

It looked like Parnell gradually earned their trust over the second half of the season, and during the four game rotation. Look at how they did the rotation. If I'm remembering this correctly, the first two games - against Cincy and Pittsburgh - they alternated series, until sometime late 3rd - early 4th quarter. At that point, Free played all snaps during the fourth quarter of both games.

Starting with the next game - the Saints game - they continued the rotation through the end of the game. From an outsiders point of view, it sure looked like Parnell had earned their trust enough to play during crunch time, and against Washington he played in crunch time in a win or go home game. I think he had to earn their trust by proving he was ready.

I'd imagine that his play subbing in at LT when Smith was hurt gave them the confidence to try the rotation. I didn't watch him closely during those two games, but by just about every account I remember reading, he did well. You have to remember that at the start of the season, Parnell had a total of 1 1/2 seasons of NFL experience as a full time offensive lineman. And until 2012, he had never gotten any significant experience in an actual regular season game. I'm pretty sure that he just had some sporadic snaps in 2011.

So he had to earn their trust. They increased his playing time the last two games, even though Free was also playing better during the rotation than earlier in the year. Again, looking at it from the outside, I'm guessing that they thought the rotation was working, both were playing pretty well, and they just kept on doing it.

honyock

Reaction score
Hoofbite;5080801 said:
Then I would say that's a horrible plan. Keeping a guy simply because you wish to spread his cap hit out over an additional year is just foolish.

In terms of it being a wash, maybe I'm just overlooking something.

It's not foolish if: they plan on starting Parnell, and need a swing tackle, and believe that Free is as good as anyone on the market who would accept swing tackle money.

If he takes the swing tackle money - say in the $2M range - and then he's a June 1 cut next year, then they're in better cap shape in 2014 than they would be if they cut him this summer and sign someone else as swing tackle for comparable money. They get to spread out the final dead money over 2014 and 2015. If you buy the argument that it's better to push some of the dead money out further when it's a smaller percentage of the cap and to smooth out the hit over two years, then that's smart.

If you believe that Parnell isn't ready to start, or that they could get a better swing tackle for comparable money to Free, then you probably won't agree with any of this.

Yuma Cactus

Reaction score
I think the plan is to get Free to take a paycut and take him to camp (none of his salary is guaranteed till week 1). See how Parnell and Weems play and if they feel comfortable with 1) Parnell as the starter and 2) Weems(or Arkin) as the swing then cut him before the season. If not keep him as the starter or swing.

Blue Eyed Devil

Reaction score
Doug Free laughs at all this hardball talk. He's already got over $20 million of Jerry's money in the bag and know he has Jerry over a barrel with this silly contract. Doug Free has all the power, all the leverage, and no reason to accept a pay cut.

Reaction score
The Cowboys lost all leverage when they failed to sign ONE OT over the entire draft process. We didn't NEED a TE in the second round, we needed an OT or OG. We didn't NEED a WR in the third round, we needed an OT or DL. Smart teams who finish at .500 access their teams' weaknesses each year, then strengthen them in the draft. Great teams do the same, but can take the BPA if he is special, then fill a need the next pick. The Jones' don't have a clue as to build a Super Bowl winning team, & they never will.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
Cogan;5080905 said:
The Cowboys lost all leverage when they failed to sign ONE OT over the entire draft process. We didn't NEED a TE in the second round, we needed an OT or OG. We didn't NEED a WR in the third round, we needed an OT or DL. Smart teams who finish at .500 access their teams' weaknesses each year, then strengthen them in the draft. Great teams do the same, but can take the BPA if he is special, then fill a need the next pick. The Jones' don't have a clue as to build a Super Bowl winning team, & they never will.

I gotta say, I completely disagree with this assessment in virtually every respect.

Reaction score
TheRomoSexual;5080913 said:
I gotta say, I completely disagree with this assessment in virtually every respect.

So, they DO have Free's replacement waiting in the wings? They are set at DL? Picking a TE in the second round to sit & wait for a 30 year old HOFer to get old & retire instead of picking Free's replacement is a smart move?

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
Cogan;5080921 said:
So, they DO have Free's replacement waiting in the wings? They are set at DL? Picking a TE in the second round to sit & wait for a 30 year old HOFer to get old & retire instead of picking Free's replacement is a smart move?

Yes, his name is Jeremy Parnell.

Yes, a starting dline of Ware, Rat, Hatcher, Spencer with a rotation of Crawford, Liss, Wilbur, and Price is solid.

We went base 12 in over 50% of our snaps in 2011, so if you think Escobar is going to "sit," the you don't have a great grasp of our offensive structure.

And who in the second/third round would start over Parnell? Armstead is a bigger project than Parnell.

Great teams go BPA period, because the strengths of today are the weaknesses of tomorrow, and in the end only talent remains.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cogan;5080905 said:

Not sure how to respond kindly here other than to say I find the logic lacking so instead let's just walk through your scenarios....

Round 2 Dallas takes Terron Armstead. He was the next OT to go and went in r3 but we reach for him here. --How is this leverage over Free? A developmental OT prospect? It's not. There are 5 FA's who are more dangerous to Free because they can actually play RT in this league. Armstead if a futures guy and track athlete.

Round 3 Dallas takes DT John Jenkins. He is a big ole boy but he doesn't move at all. He knocks off a Ben Bas or Rob Calloway from the roster but he's not playing more than spot play as a rookie. And if Josh Brent does return next year? Jenkins may never be a starter in Dallas. Brent is a far better player and fit in this defense because he is able to move.

It's easy to say take the big guys. We all say it in mocks and raft build up. But when there are 30plus teams trying to take the big guys there aren't always anyone left worth taking. Dallas has added plenty of big guys int he past 10 drafts. Unfortunately many of them could not play. You draft good NFL players. Not just big NFL players.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Not defending the Cowboys Front Office which is a flailing scenario to say the least....however once you lay the money on the table and make a decision on a Doug Free it's not so inconceivable to understand why they've decided to stick it out for another year. Especially since he is healthy.

After you've made your bed, sometimes it's best to lie in it and like it or not with the contract in place this is probably one of those times where you hope the evaluation process will come around to pay a little back.

Free is a capable fill in, a hard worker and a great backup who got tremendously PAID by an over zealous GM/Owner/Face of the Franchise/Self Proclaimed Genuis.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Blue Eyed Devil;5080862 said:
Doug Free laughs at all this hardball talk. He's already got over $20 million of Jerry's money in the bag and know he has Jerry over a barrel with this silly contract. Doug Free has all the power, all the leverage, and no reason to accept a pay cut.

have you not heard the free conversations with reporters?

he cares and he knows it is a long shot he remains a Cowboy.

he was certainly not laughing.

making 20m is nice... losing 20m is not nice at all. free is in position to do both.
not so funny when you are losing that money.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
honyock;5080806 said:
It's not foolish if: they plan on starting Parnell, and need a swing tackle, and believe that Free is as good as anyone on the market who would accept swing tackle money.

If he takes the swing tackle money - say in the $2M range - and then he's a June 1 cut next year, then they're in better cap shape in 2014 than they would be if they cut him this summer and sign someone else as swing tackle for comparable money. They get to spread out the final dead money over 2014 and 2015. If you buy the argument that it's better to push some of the dead money out further when it's a smaller percentage of the cap and to smooth out the hit over two years, then that's smart.

If you believe that Parnell isn't ready to start, or that they could get a better swing tackle for comparable money to Free, then you probably won't agree with any of this.

The difference we're talking about is likely less than swing tackle money.

If he took $2M as his base salary he'd have a cap hit of $5M this year. He' also have $7M in guaranteed money still on the book.

Next year, even if you cut him and spread it over 14 and 15, you have at least $7M in dead money to spread across those final years. We're talking about a difference of about $1.5M when it's all said and done than if they just cut him today as a June 1st designation.

If this team is in such dire straights that they must find clever ways to shelter themselves from $1.5M in cap charges, they've mismanaged the cap entirely.

As far as Parnell starting and whoever as the swing tackle. Yeah, that doesn't sound like a horrible plan. I could think of worse. Doug Free starting would be worse.

But here's a better plan, sign a capable starting RT to a 1 year contract and let Parnell be the swing tackle for another year. I'm entirely sick of throwing quarters into the wishing well on the OL. Parnell looks promising but I honestly don't care because if he can't handle it the team is screwed yet again. I want a capable starter brought in......Clabo would have been nice, Winston would be.

fortdick

Reaction score
Everyone forgets that signing Free was important because he played well at LT for wherefore his contract ran out. He was paid for what he was, a starting LT, and we didn't want him to go elsewhere. We didn't know about Tyron at the time. Heck, we didn't even know for sure who our LT was last year until the season started, and even then, Smith had a pretty mediocre season.

People also forget Free can go somewhere else and start at LT, as well as RT. It is not like he is on the streets and out of football if he doesn't take the pay cut.

I think we let him work at the position and give him a guard next to him that can actually block someone and he will be solid.

Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy said:
Free is a capable fill in, a hard worker and a great backup who got tremendously PAID by an over zealous GM/Owner/Face of the Franchise/Self Proclaimed Genuis.

Capable? It's been 2 years since he has even flashed capable. Right now he is at the very bottom of starting NFL tackles and this team could get equal results from a young guy with upside. Free epitomizes the term "progress stopper", IMO.