NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Cowboys are "playing hardball" with RT Doug Free

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
johnnyd;5079826 said:
Per Rapoport, the Cowboys are "trying to draw it out" because they believe "time (is) on their side." That's true, but the Cowboys lost leverage when the Dolphins signed Tyson Clabo. Free — who is due $7 million — appears more than content to wait, otherwise he would have caved months ago.
Free lost all his leverage by the way he played last year. He put himself in this situation.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Picksix;5079833 said:
The Cowboys may have lost some leverage when Clabo signed w/ Miami, but Free also lost some leverage when that happened as well. One less team looking for a RT.

Free, Parnell, Winston.........none of these guys are the answer at RT. Not for a SB contender. Any of those guys would just be holding down the fort until we find a good player for the position. We are still 3 lineman short of a capable line.

For me, I say we cut Free and sign Winston to a one year, 2 million dollar deal if we can.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Free has no leverage.

He lost that with he rotated with Parnell. Dallas knows it can get by with Parnell and Witten on that side.

Dallas can easily sign a veteran back up swing OT who competes with Parnell at RT.

Clabo signing removes the best talent but it hurts Free more than Dallas as there are only so many starting jobs out there and no one is paying 3m per plus for a back up.

Doesn't matter when Dallas cuts Free since they don't get the money before June 2nd. They can afford to wait. Free isn't guaranteed any additional money, Dallas is come June 2nd if they so choose.

Both sides seem to be playing this as you'd expect. It probably resolves itself around the last week of May.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
CowboyRoy;5080182 said:
Free, Parnell, Winston.........none of these guys are the answer at RT. Not for a SB contender. Any of those guys would just be holding down the fort until we find a good player for the position. We are still 3 lineman short of a capable line.

For me, I say we cut Free and sign Winston to a one year, 2 million dollar deal if we can.

none of that is really true. teams have won SB's with fairly bad RTs.
BMore used McKinnie there last year and he is a Free/Winston caliber guy.

Dallas and no other team needs 5 studs on the OL. That's how you end up short everywhere else. Teams do need a line that can win the LOS battle as a group. Dallas took a big step in that direction with Frederick who is a strong guy that wins 1v1s.

Tyron Smith needs to continue to improve but he was basically a rookie LT last year. He'll almost certainly be better. Livings and Bern weren't good but playigng with poor OCs and playing hurt didn't help much.

We aren't a stud line but we are closer to being solid than people want to admit. The last month of 2012 our OL was fine (by NFL standards in a year where most OL were pretty bad) and it was the skill positions and defense that fell apart.

**I do agree with your concluded action however!!! And I think it is likely to happen. Winston seems openly desirous of playing for the Cowboys and he has admitted he'd take 3.5m. You know he can be negotiated down to less. Even at 2.5 that is a good overall cap savings for Dallas. Especially if they make it a 2 year deal (player option 2nd year) with minimum in base both years and a 2m SB.

fortdick

Reaction score
TheRomoSexual;5080102 said:
This is a bunch of bull. Parnell far outplayed Free.

Then why didn't they bench Free and start Parnell? Did you watch any games?

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
fortdick;5080313 said:
Then why didn't they bench Free and start Parnell? Did you watch any games?

I watched every game. You, however, apparently did not if you though Free outplayed Parnell.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
TheRomoSexual;5080077 said:
I'm pretty sure you can cut him now and designate him a June 1 cut.

But they don't get any additional saving by cutting him early. It doesn't help the Cowboys in any way to do so. Plus they can only do that with 2 players. THere's a limit. The only good it does is to help the player have a better chance of landing with another team. The Cowboys did this with Spears.

But that's irrelevant to my point anyway. I think that if the Cowboys had their way, they'd want to cut him on June 2 of 2014 (or designated him early if you want) So that his dead money spreads over 2014 and 2015. Right now-- this year-- if they cut him as a June 1 cut, it gets spread over 2013 (1/3 of it) and 2014 (2/3rds). If they can work out a way to hold on to him for 1 more year, they are able to spread his signing bonus over 2013,2014 and 2015.

Right now, it's not worth the 3.5 mil they'd save in 2014 because of his high salary. If they can chop that, it becomes worth it.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Doomsay;5080063 said:
Headline: Former Colts Tackle Winston Justice Signs a $4.7 million two year deal with Detroit.

"Well, (smack, smack) we didn't see anybody left in free agency that we liked better than uhm Douglas, so I feel like we made the right decision in making him uh one of the highest paid right tackles in the league (smack, smack)."

For the record, we've been talking about Eric Winston all this time. Not Winston Justice.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Erik_H;5080329 said:
For the record, we've been talking about Eric Winston all this time. Not Winston Justice.

I think this was in response that the Cowboys had reached out to Justice yesterday as did the Lions, where he is visiting today.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hoofbite;5080084 said:
I was under the assumption it would be an equal split but it makes sense that it's not. However, as far as the roll over is concerned it might as well be $5M. Dallas gets $3M in charges this year as opposed to $5M and simply rolls over that extra $2M to next year. Kind of washes out the same in the end.

Even still though, as long as he doesn't lower his base he's on the books for $10M which is simply unacceptable. His play wouldn't earn him a roster spot by itself. He either takes the cut and allows his cap figure to provide him a chance to hang around and compete or he looks for another team.

There should be no extended negotiations.

I agree that there's no way we should keep Free at his current rate, but it doesn't really wash out the same. I think (and the numbers may be a bit off) that he's currently on the books for 10 mil in signing bonus. That doesn't count any of his salary. I just think we are trying to work out a way to make that signing bonus spread out over 2013, 2014 and 2015.

If we cut him right now, it would be 10M this year. If we cut him right now and designate him a June 1, it's 3 mil this year and 7 mil in 2014.

If we keep him one more year, then cut him as a June 1 cut NEXT year, that 10 mil spreads out over 2013, 2014 and 2015.

I think the Cowboys desire to do this is what is driving this whole thing and Free knowing that is his only leverage. The Cowboy don't want to eat 7 mil all in 2014, but eventually will if Free insists on refusing the pay cut since his current salary outweighs any savings they'd get from spreading out the hit.

rbr651

Reaction score
What's the possibility that they do get him to restructure, which would kill the dead money and then still cut him? Because even at $3 million this year, wouldn't that still be considered overpaying based on his last 2 years performance and the current market value?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
rbr651;5080340 said:
What's the possibility that they do get him to restructure, which would kill the dead money and then still cut him? Because even at $3 million this year, wouldn't that still be considered overpaying based on his last 2 years performance and the current market value?

He's going to be overpaid by cap standards either way.
The only way he can salvage his value is by playing well.
He did that the final month of the year.
He was pretty solid in his rotation.

My issue would be trust.
I don't trust the player at all.
I'd rather have a lesser but more consistent guy at a more certain cost.

But I agree with the notion above that the team would like him to basically earn his keep this year by accepting a major pay cut and spare them flushing that already invested cash away.

It's clear one of the two sides won't get what they want. Not yet clear if they can compromise or if parting is inevitable. I know Dallas really can not afford to pay Free his current base salary. Couldn't even if he was a pretty solid RT. The going rate is 3.5m per not 7 or 8.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I think they went into the offseason with the idea of Parnell starting. They waited thru FA and the Draft to see if there was a clear upgrade/cost efficient replacement for Parnell. No one available seemed to be that much better vs the cost. I think they will ask Free to accept a 2-3m salary as the swing tackle or cut him June 1st. They will then sign a vet OT to back up Parnell and Smith.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
rbr651;5080340 said:

The restructure doesn't affect the dead money. That's bonus he gets (or actually has gotten) either way. If we cut him this year -- June 1 cut or no-- dead money accelerates. The only way to spread it more is to keep him another year.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
conner01;5080160 said:
the team never said they were asking him to take a 6 mil cut. thats never going to happen. but a cut in his base that still allows him to make more than the market is a win for both sides

It has been rumored around the internet that they have asked Free to take a $5 million dollar pay cut, his base salary would be reduced from $7 million to $2 million for this season.

Obviously Free and his agent think they can get a better deal on the open market since they have refused the pay cut thus far.

Reaction score
How is it "playing hardball" when you're dancing around begging some guy to take a pay cut? Just friggin cut him already, you're the idiots that doled out the cash so don't expect him to give it back.

Talk about appearing weak and lame,,,

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
EGG;5080612 said:
How is it "playing hardball" when you're dancing around begging some guy to take a pay cut? Just friggin cut him already, you're the idiots that doled out the cash so don't expect him to give it back.

Talk about appearing weak and lame,,,

I don't understand what is taking so long myself. To me, you ask the guy to take a paycut or clean out his locker.

I don't get the strategy in letting this thing drag out. Like other have said, you can cut a player and name them a June first release, so there is nothing magical about that date.

Either he signs a new contract with the paycut included or you help him carry his stuff to his car. I don't understand the waiting game we are doing right now.