NFL could soon ban tackling technique it says creates ‘25 times’ the injury risk

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
I like this idea it is a very dangerous and in my opinion dirty play.

To legislate i would make it simple, if you drag down from behind and land on the ball carriers legs it's a penalty. It's the weight on the back of the legs that does the damage. Tacklers will have to fall to the side or brace themselves above the legs like the body weight penalty for roughing the passer.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
aqauhC2_d.webp

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People here were so butt hurt about talking about this intentionally dangerous play this offseason. Just living in denial and then watching them do the same thing to Turpin three yards out of bounds.
I remember those discussions, even mentioning this is a relatively new taught tackling technique that was not practiced decades ago. In dem olden days, guys were taught to tackle low by wrapping up the upper legs to take them out from under the ball carrier. That traditional tackling technique morphed into intentionally sliding the wrap all the way to the ankles.

That is freaking dangerous for high school tacklers. And it is okay for the biggest and strongest football players on the planet to tackle? Of course not. Human knees and ankles are not made of titanium. Glad the NFL finally got around to this nonsense.

pitt33

Reaction score
Biggest injuries these days are things being TORN etc, ACL's are being destroyed, in practice during the game etc. We need player safety on this. Maybe they should require players to go in there and get their ACL's surgically strengthened and boom!!!
Someone posted after Diggs injury and called the ACL a “weak *** ligament”.

That just about sums it up. Poorly designed (for lack of a better description) anatomical body part that can’t take much stress for many athletes.

Beaker42

Reaction score

NFL could soon ban tackling technique it says creates ‘25 times’ the injury risk​

Jori Epstein - Senior NFL reporter
Wed, Oct 18, 2023

NEW YORK — Momentum is building for the NFL’s next on-field rule change.

The league’s competition committee, as well as its health and safety committee, are discussing how to respond to a tackling technique that their data says “results in about a 25 times rate of injury as a typical tackle,” executive vice president Jeff Miller said.

The league calls the tackle in question a “hip-drop tackle.” If that doesn’t clarify the play to you, you’re not alone. The league is trying to better define what does and doesn’t constitute it.

“It is an unforgiving behavior, and one that we need to try to define and get out of the game,” Miller said.

NFL competition committee chair Rich McKay called the tackle a “cousin” to the horse-collar tackle, which consists of grabbing the inside collar of the back or side of an opponent’s shoulder pads or jersey, or the jersey at the name plate or above, to pull a runner toward the ground. A hip-drop tackle similarly involves a tackler grabbing a ball carrier from behind and pulling him down in a manner that prevents self-defense.

Read much more: https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-could-...eates-25-times-the-injury-risk-050441627.html

45a5bb60-6d73-11ee-b1db-0ac5d5a3e94f

Dallas Cowboys running back Tony Pollard (20) suffered a fractured leg on this play against the San Francisco 49ers in last season's divisional playoffs. The injury occurred on a so-called "hip-drop" tackle. (Photo by Bob Kupbens/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images) (Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
But, but, but ……… according to some of the geniuses here, it isn’t dirty. I said what I said.

:thumbup:

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I've always felt that was a dirty tackle...and very dangerous for the runner. Agree it should finally be banned, similar to the horse collar. There are numerous ways to tackle an opponent without resorting to dirty plays. Defenders just need to learn proper tackling techniques. These kind of tackles are NOT accidental.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So no tackling from behind...because if a player is pulling you, you end up on their legs. Just a fact of trying to run with someone behind you.
It isn't about ending up on their legs. It's about dropping your weight down on their legs. It will make it tougher, but that aspect of it is very much like the horse collar.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Hip drop. Tush push. These new penalty topics are getting me all hot and bothered.

McCarthyMustGo

Reaction score
Better institute a 12 man on defense then. The offense and defense are already out of balance in the league now. Who wants to watch Arena League Football?

Creeper

Reaction score

NFL could soon ban tackling technique it says creates ‘25 times’ the injury risk​

Jori Epstein - Senior NFL reporter
Wed, Oct 18, 2023

NEW YORK — Momentum is building for the NFL’s next on-field rule change.

The league’s competition committee, as well as its health and safety committee, are discussing how to respond to a tackling technique that their data says “results in about a 25 times rate of injury as a typical tackle,” executive vice president Jeff Miller said.

The league calls the tackle in question a “hip-drop tackle.” If that doesn’t clarify the play to you, you’re not alone. The league is trying to better define what does and doesn’t constitute it.

“It is an unforgiving behavior, and one that we need to try to define and get out of the game,” Miller said.

NFL competition committee chair Rich McKay called the tackle a “cousin” to the horse-collar tackle, which consists of grabbing the inside collar of the back or side of an opponent’s shoulder pads or jersey, or the jersey at the name plate or above, to pull a runner toward the ground. A hip-drop tackle similarly involves a tackler grabbing a ball carrier from behind and pulling him down in a manner that prevents self-defense.

Read much more: https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-could-...eates-25-times-the-injury-risk-050441627.html

45a5bb60-6d73-11ee-b1db-0ac5d5a3e94f

Dallas Cowboys running back Tony Pollard (20) suffered a fractured leg on this play against the San Francisco 49ers in last season's divisional playoffs. The injury occurred on a so-called "hip-drop" tackle. (Photo by Bob Kupbens/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images) (Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
I have been saying for years this is a problem. When they instituted the penalty for horse collar tackles I said then that bringing a guy down from behind by his pads was not the problem. The problem was landing on the back of his legs or what they call today the hip drop. There is nothing magical or dangerous about tackling by the pads if you do not drop your body on the back of the runner's legs. In the picture above the tacklers has Pollard around the waist, but he could have ahold of his pads, or jersey. It's basically the same thing.

Banning this tackle may prevent injuries, but how are they going to police it? You can have a guy coming from the side and tackling a runner by the waist and his body falls on the back of the legs because it is the nature of tackling a guy. To call it a penalty it will have to be very clear and indisputable. Otherwise we are going to have a lot of arguments about penalties.

erod

Reaction score
I think it's easy to tackle someone that way with an intent to injur, but I'm not sure how you would write a rule that wouldn't result in terrible game-changing flags we all hate.
It'll be impossible. This ends football essentially because how do you tackle a player from behind that's bigger than you?

I guess I'm just glad I got to see football in my lifetime.