NFL could soon ban tackling technique it says creates ‘25 times’ the injury risk

losersgetcute

Reaction score
I'm shocked that none of the teammates of the players who got their legs snapped on the field due to these bountygate style tackles have responded with helmets coming off and being swung at the cheapshotter, or hockey style fighting. The NFL players make too much and the league office is soft until its time to fine people for retaliating I am sure...

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Blimey.
Some louts here, from time to time, have suggested the NFL is moving toward flag football with every new rule and I have laughed a hearty Falstaffian laugh at them. But I do see the first signs of a gradual slide to less-contact, no-contact.
?O, Ophelia so far hath tha other shores retreated?

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
It isn't about ending up on their legs. It's about dropping your weight down on their legs. It will make it tougher, but that aspect of it is very much like the horse collar.
If Im trying to tackle someone bigger than me and Ive got them wrapped around the waist from behind....what do you want me to do? I guess get drug into the end zone trying to run with them? Dropping your weight down is how you pull them down. Calf ropers do the same to flip over a heavy calf.

Flamma

Reaction score
The league needs to stop making new rules on subjective plays. Because they never officiate it evenly. They'll call some, won't call others, and as usual, make wrong calls that can't be reviewed.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
NFL research says that if football was non contact there would be 99% less injuries. If they didn't play at all 100% less injuries.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Per NFL sources , it will be illegal to tackle a player from behind without his consent. Another idea being floated around by those obsessed with player safety is to attach a flag to the back of jerseys.

Hey NFL, how about getting rid of artificial turf if you are so concerned about player safety?

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
I don't understand how with today's technology, they can't give players new ACLs pitch side in the blue tent, laser fixing leg breaks etc.

Steve Austin crashed his plane and got fixed up better that new in the Six Million Dollar Man and that was 50 years ago....surely technology is better now?

I appreciate inflation may result in more than $6 million in 2023 but come on NFL!

LOL, loved the music to the opening on the show, right up there with the Incredible Hulk. Miss the heck out of the 70’s. Even the MNF opening especially the early 70’s, when it came on after the Rookies cop show.

jwitten82

Reaction score
But, but, but ……… according to some of the geniuses here, it isn’t dirty. I said what I said.

:thumbup:
Lol please tell us how players are supposed to tackle a guy from behind now? Especially a player that's bigger than them. They'll end up getting dragged

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
Creates extra rules for safety concerns... puts more games on schedule.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

NFL could soon ban tackling technique it says creates ‘25 times’ the injury risk​

Jori Epstein - Senior NFL reporter
Wed, Oct 18, 2023

NEW YORK — Momentum is building for the NFL’s next on-field rule change.

The league’s competition committee, as well as its health and safety committee, are discussing how to respond to a tackling technique that their data says “results in about a 25 times rate of injury as a typical tackle,” executive vice president Jeff Miller said.

The league calls the tackle in question a “hip-drop tackle.” If that doesn’t clarify the play to you, you’re not alone. The league is trying to better define what does and doesn’t constitute it.

“It is an unforgiving behavior, and one that we need to try to define and get out of the game,” Miller said.

NFL competition committee chair Rich McKay called the tackle a “cousin” to the horse-collar tackle, which consists of grabbing the inside collar of the back or side of an opponent’s shoulder pads or jersey, or the jersey at the name plate or above, to pull a runner toward the ground. A hip-drop tackle similarly involves a tackler grabbing a ball carrier from behind and pulling him down in a manner that prevents self-defense.

Read much more: https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-could-...eates-25-times-the-injury-risk-050441627.html

45a5bb60-6d73-11ee-b1db-0ac5d5a3e94f

Dallas Cowboys running back Tony Pollard (20) suffered a fractured leg on this play against the San Francisco 49ers in last season's divisional playoffs. The injury occurred on a so-called "hip-drop" tackle. (Photo by Bob Kupbens/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images) (Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
Maybe offensive players need to learn to avoid injuries.

How many games did Emmitt miss due to injury...

6 missed of 208 with the Cowboys...plus 2 due to hold out.

Not certain if all 6 were due to injury.

That does not include all of the playoff games.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I don't see a problem with a new rule on this style of tackling. If a defender has a hold of a player from behind, this type of tackle does not need to be initiated. It ends careers just like the horse collar technique. jmho

I don't like that rules need to be made but that Pollard tackle in the playoff game, (to me), was an intentional injury by the tackler if you ask me. I saw the same tackle against Dez and several other players not on our team. Dez was out for several games and he was never the same. I don't think Pollard will ever be the same either.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

NFL could soon ban tackling technique it says creates ‘25 times’ the injury risk​

Wed, Oct 18, 2023

The league’s competition committee, as well as its health and safety committee, are discussing how to respond to a tackling technique that their data says “results in about a 25 times rate of injury as a typical tackle,” executive vice president Jeff Miller said.

The league calls the tackle in question a “hip-drop tackle.” If that doesn’t clarify the play to you, you’re not alone. The league is trying to better define what does and doesn’t constitute it.

“It is an unforgiving behavior, and one that we need to try to define and get out of the game,” Miller said.

NFL competition committee chair Rich McKay called the tackle a “cousin” to the horse-collar tackle, which consists of grabbing the inside collar of the back or side of an opponent’s shoulder pads or jersey, or the jersey at the name plate or above, to pull a runner toward the ground. A hip-drop tackle similarly involves a tackler grabbing a ball carrier from behind and pulling him down in a manner that prevents self-defense.

Read much more: https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-could-...eates-25-times-the-injury-risk-050441627.html

Dallas Cowboys running back Tony Pollard (20) suffered a fractured leg on this play against the San Francisco 49ers in last season's divisional playoffs. The injury occurred on a so-called "hip-drop" tackle. (Photo by Bob Kupbens/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images) (Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
IMO any rule change that reduces the chance of serious injuries is a good one.

I know a lot of old school fans complain about the game getting too soft but the violence of this game with the speed and power of modern players puts the game itself at risk if changes aren’t made to make the game safer.

There are a lot of young moms out there who don’t want their sons playing football because of the increased knowledge about head injuries. The rules changes to outlaw spearing with the helmet had to be implemented or the existence of the game in the future was at risk.

Like many I loved the big hits we saw in football over the years that made the highlights. But honestly if helmet spearing, horse collar tackles and blind side blocks were still allowed the game would face an existential crisis because of the injury risks.

I support the outlawing of the “hip drop “ tackle.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Wed, Oct 18, 2023

My recollection is that the initial hip-drop is not what injured Pollard. It was at the end of the tackle where the defender ended up falling on him which bent him in a awkward direction.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
That tackle hurt us in 2 playoff games. Dropping the weight of the body and hip into the back of the ankles and knees is very dangerous to the guy being tackled.

2018 - we lost Allen Hurns (brutal injury) and Cole Beasley in the playoff game against Seattle. We won the game but didn't have Hurns the following week.

2022 - lost Tony Pollard to this tackle against SF.
Don't forget Dak:

Dak had his leg badly broken (compound fracture), along with ankle fractures, torn ligaments and had his lower leg and foot turned sideways 90°. It was so bad, it almost ended his career.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
My recollection is that the initial hip-drop is not what injured Pollard. It was at the end of the tackle where the defender ended up falling on him which bent him in a awkward direction.
The initial hip-drop is how tacklers end up throwing their bodies into a ball carrier's lower legs from behind.