NFL could soon ban tackling technique it says creates ‘25 times’ the injury risk

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

NFL could soon ban tackling technique it says creates ‘25 times’ the injury risk​

Jori Epstein - Senior NFL reporter
Wed, Oct 18, 2023

NEW YORK — Momentum is building for the NFL’s next on-field rule change.

The league’s competition committee, as well as its health and safety committee, are discussing how to respond to a tackling technique that their data says “results in about a 25 times rate of injury as a typical tackle,” executive vice president Jeff Miller said.

The league calls the tackle in question a “hip-drop tackle.” If that doesn’t clarify the play to you, you’re not alone. The league is trying to better define what does and doesn’t constitute it.

“It is an unforgiving behavior, and one that we need to try to define and get out of the game,” Miller said.

NFL competition committee chair Rich McKay called the tackle a “cousin” to the horse-collar tackle, which consists of grabbing the inside collar of the back or side of an opponent’s shoulder pads or jersey, or the jersey at the name plate or above, to pull a runner toward the ground. A hip-drop tackle similarly involves a tackler grabbing a ball carrier from behind and pulling him down in a manner that prevents self-defense.

Read much more: https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-could-...eates-25-times-the-injury-risk-050441627.html

45a5bb60-6d73-11ee-b1db-0ac5d5a3e94f

Dallas Cowboys running back Tony Pollard (20) suffered a fractured leg on this play against the San Francisco 49ers in last season's divisional playoffs. The injury occurred on a so-called "hip-drop" tackle. (Photo by Bob Kupbens/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images) (Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
The outcome of games is going to become random based on unavoidable penalties.

How about some common sense rules...
Defenders shouldn't be anywhere near a punt returner that called for a fair catch...

HungryLion

Reaction score
Someone posted after Diggs injury and called the ACL a “weak *** ligament”.

That just about sums it up. Poorly designed (for lack of a better description) anatomical body part that can’t take much stress for many athletes.
The ACL isn’t “poorly designed”.

It’s just not designed or evolved, to play football.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
next thing you know they will not let the players yank a player to the ground with their long hair. sheesh

RonnieT24

Reaction score
So no tackling from behind...because if a player is pulling you, you end up on their legs. Just a fact of trying to run with someone behind you.
You can tackle someone from behind without swinging your body onto their legs. You wrap up and slide down. I never used that hip drop technique on anybody I ever tackled. It's not nearly as difficult as you seem to indicate it is.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
It'll be impossible. This ends football essentially because how do you tackle a player from behind that's bigger than you?

I guess I'm just glad I got to see football in my lifetime.
I was 150 pounds soaking wet in high school, everybody was bigger than me. I never had any difficulty getting people to the ground from behind without dropping my weight on their legs. It's a dirty tackling technique which we were never taught thankfully.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Basically waste collaring? lol

I agree though, it looks intentional to cause injury too esp Fred Warner dropping on players legs on half his tackles.

Reaction score
You can tackle someone from behind without swinging your body onto their legs. You wrap up and slide down. I never used that hip drop technique on anybody I ever tackled. It's not nearly as difficult as you seem to indicate it is.
Seems like it's coached in some places, both Seattle and San Fran are notorious for their dirty play.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Yeah this is a “dirty players” tackle, it’s there it they want to use it(San Fran used it on Pollard) smh.. frustratingly these new rules happen to Dallas more than any other team I think.. ie. Tony with the k-ball in Seattle.. Dez.. Pollard…
Honestly. San Fran and Seattle come to mind to me when it comes to overall dirty teams.

I was watching San Fran against Cleveland and on one play the guy literally pulled the guys foot into the air and twisted it. Much like what Josh Norman did to Dez back in the day. They keep getting away with it.

The powerslam of Pollard in the San Fran game this year right in front of the ref was horrible to. Punching players. Its crazy.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
That tackle hurt us in 2 playoff games. Dropping the weight of the body and hip into the back of the ankles and knees is very dangerous to the guy being tackled.

2018 - we lost Allen Hurns (brutal injury) and Cole Beasley in the playoff game against Seattle. We won the game but didn't have Hurns the following week.

2022 - lost Tony Pollard to this tackle against SF.
Hurns was a clear gator roll. They were doing it to multiple players even after Hurns went down.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I've been watching this game for over 50 years and there has never been so many instances of injuries than right now.

Leave the freakin' game alone!

It won't be long before pads are replaced with flags.
Tell us you realize there’s an injury issue while stating to leave the game alone. Oh wait, my bad - you just did.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Every one of these NFL players need to watch a rugby match to learn how to tackle. These idiots use shoulder pads and even helmet for God’s sake (risking neck injury) to tackle when they should be learning to wrap up.

Ken

Reaction score

NFL could soon ban tackling technique it says creates ‘25 times’ the injury risk​

Wed, Oct 18, 2023

The league’s competition committee, as well as its health and safety committee, are discussing how to respond to a tackling technique that their data says “results in about a 25 times rate of injury as a typical tackle,” executive vice president Jeff Miller said.

The league calls the tackle in question a “hip-drop tackle.” If that doesn’t clarify the play to you, you’re not alone. The league is trying to better define what does and doesn’t constitute it.

“It is an unforgiving behavior, and one that we need to try to define and get out of the game,” Miller said.

NFL competition committee chair Rich McKay called the tackle a “cousin” to the horse-collar tackle, which consists of grabbing the inside collar of the back or side of an opponent’s shoulder pads or jersey, or the jersey at the name plate or above, to pull a runner toward the ground. A hip-drop tackle similarly involves a tackler grabbing a ball carrier from behind and pulling him down in a manner that prevents self-defense.

Read much more: https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-could-...eates-25-times-the-injury-risk-050441627.html

Dallas Cowboys running back Tony Pollard (20) suffered a fractured leg on this play against the San Francisco 49ers in last season's divisional playoffs. The injury occurred on a so-called "hip-drop" tackle. (Photo by Bob Kupbens/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images) (Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
I have been saying this should have been banned since Pollard injury last year. I have seen nu.erous people hurt this year on the same tackle...surprised that Turpin's injury wasn't worse.

This should have been banned in the offseason.

Ken

Reaction score
I'll go one step further...the horse collar isn't the issue...it was that combined with dropping on the players legs.

IMO...you should be able to tackle from their collar...not drop on their legs.

plasticman

Reaction score
Tell us you realize there’s an injury issue while stating to leave the game alone. Oh wait, my bad - you just did.
That's right. Leave it alone. Rule changes have not succeeded in making the game safer and I doubt that was their true intent.

I think the rule changes were made to increase scoring. They almost always favor the offense. These days in the NFL scoring equates to fan excitement and an increase in viewership.

During the 8 season span of 1970 to 1977, 31.1% of Cowboys starters missed more than 1 game. Keep in mind, this was before the days of "in the grasp", "helmet to helmet", "collar tackling" and several other new rule changes,

During the 8 season span of 2015 to 2022, 52.8% of Cowboys starters missed more than 1 game.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Wed, Oct 18, 2023

Yeah, this is why I said I want to see CMC hip-dropped. The 9ers were even trying it again on Pollard. It's their schtick.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
Maybe the whole team could get matching pink skirts to celebrate this new rule discussion.

plasticman

Reaction score
Maybe the whole team could get matching pink skirts to celebrate this new rule discussion.
There will come a day when "they" decide that tackling is too violent.

However, instead of replacing it with flag football I would suggest a uniform that comes with a cute bushy tail. When you grab them by their little tail the play is over. The next step before going back to the huddle is a "feelings" time out. Then the two players involved in that particular play is given the opportunity to express their "truths" in order to purge any toxic feelings.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I'll go one step further...the horse collar isn't the issue...it was that combined with dropping on the players legs.

IMO...you should be able to tackle from their collar...not drop on their legs.
Nah if you watched when Roy Williams used to do it, he was so strong he just snatched the guy backwards without putting any weight on. He didn't need to swing his weight onto them. The runner's own weight did most of the damage.

Ken

Reaction score
Nah if you watched when Roy Williams used to do it, he was so strong he just snatched the guy backwards without putting any weight on. He didn't need to swing his weight onto them. The runner's own weight did most of the damage.
Tried to go find some of them...found the TO injury and you are right, he didn't fall on the legs. Just ripped him down.

Tried to find the one where he mangled both the legs of that Titan's wr...couldn't find it.

Probably right though.