NFL: End of of Year QB Rankings

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
They have Tony ranked as "next level" at #12. I tend to disagree. He should be much higher. Thoughts?

The old guard at quarterback is not going away quietly. After a 2012 highlighted by the best rookie class in memory, quarterback royalty in 2013 looked remarkably similar to the top guns back in 2009.

It was the year of Peyton Manning, like so many before. But right behind him was a Philip Rivers revival worthy of his best seasons. (This is a guy who once led the league in yards per attempt (YPA) for three consecutive seasons.) Drew Brees hasn't gone anywhere. Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger started the season slow, but try naming five better quarterbacks than them in the second half.

Peyton Manning

The next generation is coming. Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck and Ryan Tannehill all progressed. Cam Newton "matured," which is media translation for his defense getting better (Newton never was exactly a problem). Nick Foles came out of nowhere to bolster the 2012 rookie class.

The young guys will have their day on top. Perhaps it will come in these playoffs. For now, it's the same old bosses running the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000304038/article/quarterback-index-yearend-rankings?campaign=Facebook_writers_rosenthal

Full rankings:

This is the Quarterback Index. Every four weeks, I rank all 32 starters, top to bottom. This is one of those weeks. The rankings are based on 2013 play alone. I've included everyone's preseason ranking next to them in parenthesis.

Alone at the top:
1. Peyton Manning (3)

Top Four:
2. Philip Rivers (19)
3. Drew Brees (4)
4. Tom Brady (2)

Next level:
5. Ben Roethlisberger (6)
6. Russell Wilson (8)
7. Andrew Luck (6)
8. Cam Newton (14)
9. Nick Foles (N/A)
10. Bears quarterbacks (15)
11. Matt Ryan (7)
12. Tony Romo (13)

The next level after that:
13. Matthew Stafford (16)
14. Ryan Tannehill (18)
15. Colin Kaepernick (9)
16. Joe Flacco (10)
17. Alex Smith (25)
18. Andy Dalton (23)

After Dalton:
19. Carson Palmer (23)
20. Eli Manning (12)
21. Robert Griffin III (11)
22. Mike Glennon (N/A)
23. Matt Cassel (N/A)

End of the road:
24. Jason Campbell
25. Christian Ponder
26. Ryan Fitzpatrick
27. Chad Henne
28. Case Keenum
29. Kellen Clemens
30. Matt McGloin
31. Matt Schaub
32. Terrelle Pryor
33. Geno Smith
34. EJ Manuel

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Rules always change when it is not Romo. Matt Ryan? Are you serious? They were 13 - 3 last year. They are 3-12.....based on that alone he CANNOT be top 15!

beevomav

Reaction score
Rivers may be the most overrated QB ever in the NFL.. Ryan(24 td - 16 ints), both Bears QB? .. Big Ben and his 27 td - 12 ints)Just another "I hate the Cowboys" site, because they obviously didn't base it on the QB play..

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Says Romo is ranked this low because of his low YPA.

He ranked 5 guys ahead of Romo who all have a lower YPA, and none of the five has a TD/INT ratio anywhere near as good as Romo's.

If it generates discussion, mission accomplished.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Just look at who's making up the list. Those idiots over there have less brains than my 2 -year-old.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
After 3 games, he had Romo ranked 7th. At the time, Romo's YPA was 6.7 (20th).

Currently, Romo's YPA is 7.2 (15th)

So Romo went up 5 spots in the category that he says he's docking Romo 5 spots for.

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
They have Tony ranked as "next level" at #12. I tend to disagree. He should be much higher. Thoughts?

The fact that they list 'Bears Quarterbacks' higher than HIM, is a joke. You notice, nowhere else on that list is '_______ Quarterbacks' listed.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
So apparently 31 TDs and only 10 Ints as well as leading a team with a historically bad defense to a winning record gets you to #12. Lol! Those 11 ahead of him (including Ryan) must really be awesome! So ridiculous.

dstovall5

Reaction score
Laughable list, especially for the reasons Percy pointed out. If you're going to dock the guy for something, then at least be consistent with it, not just pick and choose. Stupid list is ... well, stupid.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Says Romo is ranked this low because of his low YPA.

He ranked 5 guys ahead of Romo who all have a lower YPA, and none of the five has a TD/INT ratio anywhere near as good as Romo's.

If it generates discussion, mission accomplished.

Yeah. You nailed it. I saw the same thing. Gotta love haters.

Nav22

Reaction score
Rules change when Romo's involved. Even if you show through facts/stats that he should be much higher, his "perception" docks him at least 5 spots alone.

Section446

Reaction score
Romo is right where he should be 9-12. While statistically he's had a decent season, I've never thought very highly of Matt Ryan, and think he needs to be a lot lower.