NFL Executive Takes Stand On The Controversial 'Tush Push'

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
I feel it should be banned once again since it is assisting the runner.
This is the part I can't support. Advancing the runner. I think a lot of plays where linemen come crashing behind their fellow offensive players, typically RBs is asking for a negatvie outcome, and is just supporting a rugby style game.

So why don't offensive linemen who are pulling lock arms with TEs and intentionally target smaller lbs and DBs in a phalanx fashion? We have to be careful that we are supporitng the unique game of football and not rugby.

In football we shouldn't combine weight nor leverage to advance or stop the ball.

csirl

Reaction score
Im surprised nobody has tried the rugby method of stopping this "rugby" play.

Hard to describe in text. But DL should go low, reach out and take the legs out from the OL - so they essentially lose balance and collapse before they can move forward. Usually done fby putting arm/hand inside the leg and punching/pushing outwards at ankle so the OL foot losrs contact with the ground.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I really don’t think the push from the back makes a difference to be honest. I think this is no different than a traditional qb sneak but you have the best center that’s ever executed this play along with a QB that has both excellent lower body strength and good feel for how to find space. If it were a matter of superior play design no team in the league would have issues replicating it.

kskboys

Reaction score
Im surprised nobody has tried the rugby method of stopping this "rugby" play.

Hard to describe in text. But DL should go low, reach out and take the legs out from the OL - so they essentially lose balance and collapse before they can move forward. Usually done fby putting arm/hand inside the leg and punching/pushing outwards at ankle so the OL foot losrs contact with the ground.
Exactly what I'm wondering.

HungryLion

Reaction score
If the eagles want to keep running their QB into a brick wall, to the point his knee gets hurt, like last season. Then I am 100% in favor of that.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
It always seemed simple to me....every team should have faked a lower leg injury after the play, and caused a delay....would have ended things quickly. Wouldn't have been hard to do....can't see anything in the scrum. Why am I the only one that has thought of this? Then again, I suggested that troy wear a doctor's examination room glove on his right hand in wet weather....genius, I know. Would have made the ball feel tacky as hell.
And, of course, a person that would post your response is familiar with the penalties involved with faking an injury under the terms of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement. Massive for the team, devastating for the player faking the injury. Why do fans come up with this kind of nonsense? NFL players work hard to be on a NFL roster. Very hard. And there are fans that think, after all that work, they could be coerced to do something that would impugn their character. Your response indicates yours.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
In pre 2005, the play would be whistled dead and a 10 yard penalty would ensue, but in 2006 the NFL lifted the ban which did not allow assisting a runner by pushing, pulling or carrying the runner. Why it was lifted i have no idea. I feel it should be banned once again since it is assisting the runner.
Why did they change it? The owners wanted the change. It couldn’t happen without their overt ( 75%) support of the change. There is a big difference between being an NFL fan and owning the NFL. Too many fans do not understand that simple fact.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
and as soon as an Eagle player is badly injured due to the Tush Push, Vincent will be the first one to cry foul to do away with it. Just watch. Its amazing til a key player on the line is hurt by it.
Would have to be a fluke to get badly injured on the Tush Push. It’s hits that result in bad injuries. If the league says the Tush Push is being removed due to injury concerns the might as well start playing flag football. If the players ever banned, it won’t be because of injury concerns.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's obviously biased but it's a dumb defense for it too. A team can hold well or horsecollar tackle well or steal playcalls well. None of it should be allowed.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I know it's the Eagles but to even consider banning a play cause one team does it so well basically sums up how messed up the world is nowadays and everything gets talked about
Yeah...."Cancel" a football play because nobody can replicate what 1 team can do.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Mazi was drafted to stop this play. As soon as he gets up to speed the TUSH PUSH will be history..

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
This is Football, not Ruby and that alone should be the reason why the Tush Push should be banned
Nothing to do with rugby, literally nothing.
it‘s basically extra point blocking on a QB sneak. Not much to it, they just do it well.

sideon

Reaction score
Shouldn't be banned since it's not illegal, and it didn't stop the Eagles from crashing and burning towards the end of the season.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
and as soon as an Eagle player is badly injured due to the Tush Push, Vincent will be the first one to cry foul to do away with it. Just watch. Its amazing til a key player on the line is hurt by it.
I'm really surprised with the way their line goes for the DL knees that there has not been a major injury from it yet