NFL Executive Takes Stand On The Controversial 'Tush Push'

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I know it's the Eagles but to even consider banning a play cause one team does it so well basically sums up how messed up the world is nowadays and everything gets talked about
we suck at it, let's ban it cause we're puskies and our fans are too. :p

Flamma

Reaction score
You can't ban a play. If the formation is legal, it's nothing more than a QB sneak. If they wanted to eliminate it, they would just implement the old rule that you cannot aid the ball carrier by pushing him.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Im surprised nobody has tried the rugby method of stopping this "rugby" play.

Hard to describe in text. But DL should go low, reach out and take the legs out from the OL - so they essentially lose balance and collapse before they can move forward. Usually done fby putting arm/hand inside the leg and punching/pushing outwards at ankle so the OL foot losrs contact with the ground.
I’m not sure how you’d even do that in the nfl. Philly fires off the ball fast and low. It gets compared to a rugby scrum but it’s 10x more explosive of a play.

Some teams have gone low against Philly but the only one who succeeded that I can remember is Tampa. Could be the technique they used but their size on the interior DL may have something to do with that too idk

CowboyChris

Reaction score
I'm really surprised with the way their line goes for the DL knees that there has not been a major injury from it yet
I was just going to say basically the same thing, all their lineman go low for the DL knees, if anything thats the dirty part of that play.... that's why you see so many players trying to jump over the pile. I wouldn't vote to ban it, don't forget the league is so anal about injuries, so they might look into that too

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Maybe the defense should quit allowing them to be in position to run the play in the first place.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
“Don’t punish a team that strategically does it well,” Vincent said.
Vincent further complimented the Eagles on their success rate with the play.
"Their success rate, just amazing," he added.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...nd-on-the-controversial-tush-push/ar-BB1j7ctk
I tend to agree, I dont see a legitimate reason to ban the play.

The fact that other teams have tried to copy it and have not had the same success rate shows that the play is not a cheese play that is automatic, you have to actually execute it very well for it to work.

However, If a team wants to risk their QB by shoving him straight into the teeth of the defense, that is their choice.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

Hard to describe in text. But DL should go low, reach out and take the legs out from the OL - so they essentially lose balance and collapse before they can move forward. Usually done fby putting arm/hand inside the leg and punching/pushing outwards at ankle so the OL foot losrs contact with the ground.
Exactly............people need to go watch some youtube videos of some rugby games and see how rugby teams defend the "scrum".

Your description is fairly accurate, the defense basically takes out the legs of the offensive players trying to push the "scrum" forward.

In other words, DONT GO FOR THE QB, go for the offensive lineman instead.

Not sure why any NFL teams have not tried this.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
we can't do it because our guy has weak legs and probably would get lost in the scrum and might start running the wrong way. Let's ban it not because it's unstoppable but because our guy might do something stupid like always when it matters.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
In pre 2005, the play would be whistled dead and a 10 yard penalty would ensue, but in 2006 the NFL lifted the ban which did not allow assisting a runner by pushing, pulling or carrying the runner. Why it was lifted i have no idea. I feel it should be banned once again since it is assisting the runner.
Exactly. The whistle should blown when the player's own momentum has been stopped. It was always that way until recently.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
philly should do it on every down. Just push it down for a TD while wearing out the defensive line. Heck, maybe then the old perv might think we need a better defensive line. Naw he's just extending the losers we have and you guys will think we're all in. LMAO, it doesn't take much to make you guys happy.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Would have to be a fluke to get badly injured on the Tush Push. It’s hits that result in bad injuries. If the league says the Tush Push is being removed due to injury concerns the might as well start playing flag football. If the players ever banned, it won’t be because of injury concerns.
agree but my point is, everything is great til one of their guys gets hurt. One thing I hate is how low they get on the play. Its almost like a chop block. Bad things are going to happen when the knees are in the way.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I hope they start breaking guys' legs. this is a man's sport, if you don't like it maybe go watch women's golf.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Exactly............people need to go watch some youtube videos of some rugby games and see how rugby teams defend the "scrum".

Your description is fairly accurate, the defense basically takes out the legs of the offensive players trying to push the "scrum" forward.

In other words, DONT GO FOR THE QB, go for the offensive lineman instead.

Not sure why any NFL teams have not tried this.
You really think rugby techniques are going to work in the NFL though? I struggle to call this a rugby play simply because in a rugby scrub no one is firing off the snap like they are in the NFL. In Rugby scrum both sides are already interlocked and it's a slower pace.

You go back and look at Kelce during this play and he fires off fast and low. I hate to compliment Eagle players but if anyone deserves it Kelce does. The guy literally makes this play happen along with Hurts and 9 other guys just get credit for being on the field most of the time. I can't express how difficult it is to snap the ball, fire off, keep your helmet that low, and not fumble the snap in doing so.

csirl

Reaction score
You really think rugby techniques are going to work in the NFL though? I struggle to call this a rugby play simply because in a rugby scrub no one is firing off the snap like they are in the NFL. In Rugby scrum both sides are already interlocked and it's a slower pace.

You go back and look at Kelce during this play and he fires off fast and low. I hate to compliment Eagle players but if anyone deserves it Kelce does. The guy literally makes this play happen along with Hurts and 9 other guys just get credit for being on the field most of the time. I can't express how difficult it is to snap the ball, fire off, keep your helmet that low, and not fumble the snap in doing so.
Its a ruck or maul defending technique that works rather than a scrum defending technique. In a ruck you will have "offensive" players on all fours, backs parallel to ground trying to push forward and the defenders trying to stop them. Ive a family member who plays rugby at a high level - is brilliant at this. Likes to go low between arms legs - grabs one ankle with one hand and delivers a fast forearm blow to the inside of the other ankle. Usually ends up in a big pile up!

khiladi

Reaction score

Because very few people watch rugby to get ideas

Deionindahood

Reaction score
This is Football, not Ruby and that alone should be the reason why the Tush Push should be banned
This is football, ban soccer style kicking. And a QB sneak is a tush push without the push. Every team can incorporate the push if they want. Not all can perfect it...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
“Don’t punish a team that strategically does it well,” Vincent said.
Vincent further complimented the Eagles on their success rate with the play.
"Their success rate, just amazing," he added.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...nd-on-the-controversial-tush-push/ar-BB1j7ctk
he is not wrong. so if about 10-12, 14 teams learn this and I gaurantee you they will, then NFL will do something, because it fundamentally changes the game if a play is 95% successful all the time. it changes the game to 1st and 8 instead of 1st and 10. the one or two yards are given. it will take away from fan experience, etc. and then league will take action.

or somebody gets seriously injured. or you start to see a lot of fights as player frustration mounts.

NFL is all about its image.

bottleKids

Reaction score
Who cares? The Eagles choked like us and were 1 and done. Let them have their stupid play.