NFL Executive Takes Stand On The Controversial 'Tush Push'

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
The injury narrative is so dumb, this is not a very violent play. Lots of mass but mostly guys just getting piled up. Again it’s literally modified XP blocking but instead of just blocking down the o-line is still driving.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
You can't ban a play. If the formation is legal, it's nothing more than a QB sneak. If they wanted to eliminate it, they would just implement the old rule that you cannot aid the ball carrier by pushing him.
You can't pull a player forward, it's a penalty. So in the same manner they could stop allowing players to push someone forward. They could even word it as you can't push someone from behind the line of scrimmage so as to keep allowing it in other circumstances.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The play is dangerous for the QB so will eventually be banned.
I sure do not want guys pushing me head and neck first into DTs and diving LB without a chance to control my own body's direction.

The Eagles do run this play very well and kudos to them for that but defenses give up plenty of first downs to take shots at a QB.
And that is what will eventually happen here.
Rather than stop the short yardage gain they'll just tee off on the QB.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Don't be so sure that Kelse is done..
I don’t normally concern myself with others teams off seasons until it comes to their draft but I have been watching this and wouldn’t mind one bit if he retired. He’s an amazing center and such a core part of any success that unit has.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
What would be the narrative on this board if Dak was the only QB with a 93% success rate doing it?

Creeper

Reaction score
Instead of banning the play, why not enforce existing rules to keep defenses from lining up in the neutral zone? Why not go back to the old rules of not allowing offensive players to push their ball carriers forward? End the scrums all over the field. Not saying I am in favor of such a rule change, but ow can you ban the tush push on 4th and short but allow pushing ball carriers forward on every other play?

erod

Reaction score
Why would you ban something that only one team can do?

Are they going to ban Tyreek Hill because he's too fast for the other teams, too?

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
Not sure why assisting the ball carrier was made legal in 2005-2006 or so but it's legal now, I have no issue with the play as is.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The play is dangerous for the QB so will eventually be banned.
I sure do not want guys pushing me head and neck first into DTs and diving LB without a chance to control my own body's direction.

The Eagles do run this play very well and kudos to them for that but defenses give up plenty of first downs to take shots at a QB.
And that is what will eventually happen here.
Rather than stop the short yardage gain they'll just tee off on the QB.
If the NFL eliminated every kind of play that risks injury we’d all be watching winter baseball.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
They do.
Hurts did get hurt, n they're still running it.
He's been hurt, but not running the QB sneak. He was hurt in practice. And to be honest it's not up to the NFL to determine if a play run by teams injures a player. As I've said if it's something that happened all the time the teams would stop doing it, and the situation would correct itself. I don't think the quarterback sneak is going anywhere. Now they're talking about this stuff.

NFL considering drastic kickoff and onside kick changes​

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Reread. His post was allowing illegal plays such as horse collar, so that means he wants to allow other illegal plays that get players hurt.
I'm not even going to try to find the original post. I'm only talking about the QB sneak. Obviously plays that were made illegal should be illegal especially the horse collar tackle. That is dangerous.

Big_D

Reaction score
What would be the narrative on this board if Dak was the only QB with a 93% success rate doing it?
The nfl has an anti cowboy agenda! That’s exactly what it would be.

wecasa

Reaction score
How about they just let the defense push each other from behind like the offense does? Seems fair.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Someone should've told him to sit down. I don't are if they can use it or not, bit if they can't the offense would really struggle.